• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do you hunt with your traditional muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since 1974 with rifles, trade guns, shotguns and pistols, revolvers - all black powder. Deer - mule deer and whitetail, black bear, elk, pronghorn, bison, grouse, pheasant, quail, squirrels - fox and pine, rabbits and hares - cottontail, jackrabbits and snowshoe hare, doves - mourning.

Since 1974 with rifles, trade guns, shotguns and pistols, revolvers - all black powder. Deer - mule deer and whitetail, black bear, elk, pronghorn, bison, grouse, pheasant, quail, squirrels - fox and pine, rabbits and hares - cottontail, jackrabbits and snowshoe hare, doves - mourning.
With the advent of the Eurasian’s, I’ve completely given up shooting Morning Doves…I try to strictly shoot Eurasians only. Not meaning anything by it…just sayin.

I must admit that I do better on them anyways, they’re bigger, more meat, and they definitely fly slower.

Here in Colorado…there is no limit to the number of Eurasians that can be harvested. I’ve taken as many as 45 in a day of hunting…Those family dove hunts to eastern Colorado are so much fun.

Wrap the breast meat in bacon, with a slice of onion, bell pepper, some Jalapeño and cook on the BBQ. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.

Do you have a sizeable Eurasian population in your area?

Last edited:
In Kansas the Eurasians are classified as an invasive species and as such can be harvested year around with no limit. You are giving me the itch to unlimber my new to me 12g. Navy Arms Double. I have a coffee can full of #8 shot that might be the ticket.

In Kansas the Eurasians are classified as an invasive species and as such can be harvested year around with no limit. You are giving me the itch to unlimber my new to me 12g. Navy Arms Double. I have a coffee can full of #8 shot that might be the ticket.
Exactly…yes. Invasive Species…NO Game Limit, and great eating.

I mostly hunt them during the regular Dove Season on our regular family Dove Hunt, but we run into them during Pheasant season as well, and I’m not against taking several if we start to get into them. I have even headed out to visit family in October through November and taken the time to hunt Eurasians. Gosh they are fun to hunt with BlackPowder.

We hunt around the Yuma Area, eastern Colorado…what part of Kansas do you hunt?

I started in 1981 when Maryland had their first muzzleloader season. I borrowed a .50 cal from a friend and bagged one of my largest deer. Before the meat was solidly froze I had bought my own a .54 cal TC Renegade and have been at it ever since. Now I have numerous .54 .50 and thanks to member mloader40 a beautiful .32 Cherokee that I will use for small game and hogs. Also have a Pedersoli 12ga that I use for Turkeys, geese, ducks and upland game. Also hunt Elk, Deer and Hogs with the 50s and 54s. Love this thing they call “Black Powder”!!!

Rock Home Isle, I’m in north east Kansas. Eurasians are pretty common here in about any area where morning doves live. They are a problem because they are territorial and displace native birds.

In the last 30+ years I have hunted Moose (2 taken), Deer (#unknown), Hares, squirrel's, partridge, woodcock, fox, coyote. Two domestic pigs, several goats, all with mostly flintlocks. I did kill 1, 10pt whitetail buck, with a 30/06 as it was only gun available at the time.

Now just squirrels maybe if I don't use a 22lr.

With the advent of the Eurasian’s, I’ve completely given up shooting Morning Doves…I try to strictly shoot Eurasians only. Not meaning anything by it…just sayin.

I must admit that I do better on them anyways, they’re bigger, more meat, and they definitely fly slower.

Here in Colorado…there is no limit to the number of Eurasians that can be harvested. I’ve taken as many as 45 in a day of hunting…Those family dove hunts to eastern Colorado are so much fun.

Wrap the breast meat in bacon, with a slice of onion, bell pepper, some Jalapeño and cook on the BBQ. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.

Do you have a sizeable Eurasian population in your area?

Oregon declared them invasive awhile back. Basically no rules. I shoot mine out of the cottonwoods with a squirrel rifle.
AEFAF2EA-244D-42A7-B22E-4B12D7C2F7FE.jpeg

Oregon declared them invasive awhile back. Basically no rules. I shoot mine out of the cottonwoods with a squirrel rifle.
View attachment 142516
I have a dairy in my local area. I use a pellet rifle around the cows…the moderator makes it real quiet, so the livestock doesn’t respond…so yeah pest control stuff.

But hunting them with a smokepole is what I really enjoy…I’ve taken many with my .32 calibre BlueRidge, but mostly smoothbores of various gauges/calibres…

The year round, no limit, proposition…that’s icing on the cake.

Rock Home Isle, I’m in north east Kansas. Eurasians are pretty common here in about any area where morning doves live. They are a problem because they are territorial and displace native birds.
It’s really apparent that the Eurasians displace our native Morning Doves. I remember when the Eurasians were onesies & twosies…now the skies are full of them and I’m happy to see maybe 20 or 30 Morning Doves on a hunt.

So yeah, Eurasians are the target species on our hunts. At 2/3rds the size of a pigeon…they have a lot more to offer than a Morning Dove

Just squirrel and deer so far. I’m kicking around the idea of heading back to the Cherokee national forest this fall and trying for a hog or bear.
If you want a bear, eastern N.C. is the place to get the big one. Those N.C, bear get huge!

Started deer hunting in "96" with a caplock half stock rifle. Switched rifles amd calibers a few times before going to a flintlock.

Tried squirrel hunting a with a small caliber caplock rifle, it was fun, but pretty much stopped hunting them in "09" do to work schedule. Sold that rifle. Finished up a smoothbore last winter so I can take up squirrel and rabbit hunting again.

If you want a bear, eastern N.C. is the place to get the big one. Those N.C, bear get huge!
True, but I can just hunt them here in Tennessee and not have to pay out of the nose for a non-resident N.C. license.

Back