• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do you call this part?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a strong metal piece let into the end of my stock that the breech hook latches into. What's it called?
It is called a ‘tang’, and not to be confused the orange drink the astronauts used to drink.
1634395398550.png

You correctly 'latched on' to the name for this kind of arm - it's called a 'hook breech'. :)

Found in all kinds of muskets, rifles and even handguns, it's a time-saving method of using retaining pins and tenons usually two, sometimes three, depending on the length of the barrel, without recourse to undoing the tank screw - commonly called a 'nail'.

Here is my hook-breech Pritchett rifle, showing the locations of the tenon pins and the close-fit barrel and tang -

....................................................................................................................................................here V................................................................and here V

1634396233237.png

1634396187567.png

Back