• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do ya'll use as a sealer on your long arms after stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a very dilute (1 lb. cut) covering of shellac, and then cover it with my final finish, Shellac is about the best at protecting against water vapor exchange, but poor for liquid water.

I'm with bpd, I also use Formsby's Satin Tung Oil.
Right from the can.
Mike C.
Groveland, CA

I use 2-3 wipe on/wipe off coats of LMF sealer w/ a average soak in time of appeox. 10 mins. After the last coat is completely dry, a hard rub w/ 0000 steel wool removes any unabsorbed LMF sealer. Don't want any sealer on the wood....only in the wood......Fred

I don't use a "sealer" after I've stained my longrifles maple stocks.

After the stain(s) have been applied I either apply a layer of linseed oil or I go directly to building up layers of Tru-Oil.

IMO, using a "sealer" is an unnecessary step in applying the finish.

As far back as 40 yrs ago, I used 9 part VM & P naptha to 1 parts spar varnish and soaked the wood with all that it would take, then tru-oil on top of that.

My oldest son has a mauser I built before he was born and the wood has always been stable. Could be the wood though :idunno:

Jack

Boiled Linseed Oil applications and eventually finishing coats of a mixture of Mineral Oil/Bee's Wax/Carnauba Wax.

I use the same - I keep adding until the stock stays "wet" then wipe off the excess. Tru-Oil on top - rottenstone back the gloss to what looks good (to me) - then wax it. May take a week+ to finish but I don't rush it :hatsoff: .

I'm firmly in the Permalyn camp ... always worked for me. There might be other sealers that work as well, but i'll stick with what I know.

Tru-Oil or Permalyn goes on after the stain. You can make either the sheen you want buy working with it & learning the finish.

Keith Lisle

I have used tru-oil on a couple of my first builds but found that I like teak oil much better. It dries fast and leaves a satin sheen without having to work down the gloss of a tru-oil finish. Teak oil is designed to resist the elements of nature. :v

I know that there are several products and home made concoctions out there but my personal preference is Tru-Oil or Linspeed. They just give me the best looking and most durable finish. I can leave them shiny if I am doing a modern rifle or use some 0000 steel wool followed by Birchwood-Casey's Stock Sheen. If I just buff with 0000 steel wool and don't use Stock Sheen, the finish is a bit flatter and looks like an oil finish. If I use the Stock Sheen after the 0000 steel wool, I get a low luster finish that will rival any custom British stock. It is gorgeous to my eye but some consider it not to look authentic. Well, you can do it however you want but it is, in my opinion, impossible to beat either Linspeed or Tru-Oil for a stock finish. Some may equal them but none will beat them.

just to be clear here, the OP asked about post-stain sealer, not the final finish or topcoats ....
Questions about the latter would beget a different list of answers.

Latest posts

Back