• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan64

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I recently acquired this rifle. I love it! Shoots cloverleafs at 100yds but I would love to know the provenance if anyone can help. It's a .50 cal with a barrel by Bobby Hoyt. It has a double set, single phase trigger.

IMG_20221104_001008430.jpg
IMG_20221104_001018362.jpg
IMG_20221104_001034811.jpg

That is championship shooting.
Nice rifle, unusual trigger guard.
Thanks but it's the rifle not the shooter! I was working up the load from a bench rest. The lock is fast and sparks strong, and the set trigger breaks at 10oz.

A franken gun. Trigger guard is from a flobert style rifle. Somebody put a well tuned lock on the gun. It probably has a few other odd characteristics too. A well tuned lock, trigger and good barrel can be a match shooter even if the stock is a fir 2 x 4. and the furniture made from an old tv antenna.

Provenance appears similar to what the old members of my gun club refer to as a West (St. Louis) County Special. It's a parts collection that was built in your part of the country.

It's a rifle built in the 1970's by a reasonably talented anonymous gun smith wanting to shoot a muzzleloading rifle and he had an assortment of quality parts that could be used to make a gun. @Spartan64's rifle may not resemble any known school of design, but the performance is excellent.

There were many "backyard" builders in the late 60's and early seventies that did excelent work but never got national reconition .I believe that with a barrel by Bobby it is from a later period but it is still a rifle to be proud of.

Sorry but no photo skills at all.

Try a neutral background and cropping
I'm never gonna be Ansel Adams and the photographs were good enough for a lot of folks to help me understand my gun. If you can lend me a photobooth and something better than an old casio phone camera maybe we can get some glamor shots of my guns...

Back