• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsnwater

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought this pendersoli Kentucky from a member here. I was expecting a threaded vent liner and a patent breech but I get this. And the breech seems to be traditional/ standard.
63D9D055-BCCF-4620-B0FA-F16281CC56E0.jpeg

Attachments

• 783A2E8C-01E9-4455-97B9-1A6973BCE302.jpeg
    783A2E8C-01E9-4455-97B9-1A6973BCE302.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 9909C723-9A3A-40E4-840A-DAC44F6A91F7.jpeg
    9909C723-9A3A-40E4-840A-DAC44F6A91F7.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 265
I was just going to ask what SDSmlf asked - is the hole threaded? maybe if it is threaded the threads match available vent liners that can be installed, if it's not threaded then you will need to determine what size threads can be cut so you can install a vent liner. The vent location is slightly high but I have compensated for that on rifles in the past by grinding the pan out a bit which lowers everything.

Was going to ask what year it was mfg by the letter designations but I see it has been defarbed. It is an older to very early one based on the designs stamped into the lock plate and cock. Maybe back then they didn’t use a vent liner? Would be interesting to locate some pics of an older one to compare. Wish the date code and or s/n was known.

Btw, Congrats on your purchase, I love mine!

There is a guy on youtube with one trying to get some answers too. (Pedersoli flintlock .45 cal mystery rifle) If y'all want to look it up. Apparently it's an early one made in the 70's or 80's.
The vent looks lined with stainless and the hole is smaller than the pic makes it look. About large paperclip size.
The standard breech is strange too. I like it though.

the picture perspective sure make it look oversize. if larger than 5/32 I would drill it and install a vent liner.
those shooting/standing to your right would be most appreciative!
also it appears low to me. but many are and work.
the suggestion of plunge milling for a vent liner is great. but i'd center the hole with the top of the pan.

The hole looks big, and too low. IMO, it should be centered at the top of the pan, so could be fixed by plunging with an endmill at the correct location, and then tapped for a removeable (or not) liner.
Could it be that the touch hole is externally coned? That would explain the very large opening we see. @woodsnwater, have you done a trial fit with some drill bits to estimate the actual touch hole diameter?

the picture perspective sure make it look oversize. if larger than 5/32 I would drill it and install a vent liner.
those shooting/standing to your right would be most appreciative!
also it appears low to me. but many are and work.
the suggestion of plunge milling for a vent liner is great. but i'd center the hole with the top of the pan.
5/32 is .160" which is about .100" larger than my quickest ignition flinter. 1/16" in the "sunset potition" would be my recommendation.

I will tonight. I'm going to remove the barrel too. First time unpinning one.
Be sure you have an appropriatly sized pin punch for the job. It isnt difficult but improvised punches (nails, etc. ) tend to veer to the side buggering up the pin holes. If you dont have a set, they are pretty inexpensive and well worth the money. HD or Lowes, any good hardware store should set you up.

Latest posts

Back