• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I took the three screws out of the top. They seem to be brass, a magnet won't pick them up.Does the top now screw off? Or just pull off? I don't want to get too "physical" with it . . . . .

The top should just pull off but they can be hard to get off and back on. A little oil soaked in and a twist like loosening a jar lid can help. Suggest you mark the flask body and top with tape so you can put the top back on with the original screw hole alignment.

if you drop them you will have to get a BRASS MAGNET to find them, witch by the way is just as hard to find!!! LOL!!

The top should just pull off but they can be hard to get off and back on. A little oil soaked in and a twist like loosening a jar lid can help. Suggest you mark the flask body and top with tape so you can put the top back on with the original screw hole alignment.
Thanks, regular gun oil or the penetrating stuff? I suppose a little alcohol to help get rid of the oil?

If go into town today I'll take one of the screws with me. I'm curious what size these screws are. Tractor Supply has a gauge or scale for both standard and metric. I'm not in a habit of keeping an assortment of metric screws on hand and I haven't lost the three screws yet but knowing me I will.

Thanks, regular gun oil or the penetrating stuff? I suppose a little alcohol to help get rid of the oil?

Either oil should help; penetrating oil if you have it. Alcohol clean up sounds good so oil can not creep into the powder.

If the valve is working freely I would not take the top off as they can be difficult to get back on and lined up with screw holes.

I'm in agreement with Robert about not taking the top off unless you think you want to try to smooth out the dent. I would leave it be. For me dents are part of the history unless really badly dented.

Okay if I leave the top on how does one fill the flask? Is the spout/measure set to throw X number if grains or can it be adjusted? And if adjustable how is that done?

Okay if I leave the top on how does one fill the flask? Is the spout/measure set to throw X number if grains or can it be adjusted? And if adjustable how is that done?
I take the top off of mine by loosening the screws and pulling on the top.
After it's off, it's easy to pour in a new batch of powder. :thumb:

This funnel from Track of the Wolf will screw into the top of the flask. The thread is 10mm -1.00. Hold the valve open and pour the powder down the funnel.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/70/1/FUNNEL-FL
1591468798399.png

If the spout is solid and not adjustable you simply put a thumb over it, turn the flask upside down, open the spring loaded internal cap and fill the spout. Shut the internal cap by releasing the spring loaded lever and turn the flask upright. If I remember the spout on mine throws around 80 grains. I can't remember right now exactly how much. You can buy different lengths of spout. Track of the Wolf and other venders probably have them. If you get one that throws too large a charge, just cut it back to the charge you want. Keep in mind this is a larger flask and there are smaller flasks. that use a smaller diameter spout.

The spouts just screw into the top of the flask.

Can you believe it? I had to go to town and forgot the screws out of the flask. I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and see what size these tiny screws are.Will see on the next trip. No big deal!

The main reason I want to remove the top is see how a handle is connected. One side has the small eye missing. This picture shows the small hole where the "eye" attaches to the body of the flask. The other side has a triangular D ring for the strap. I call it a D ring for want of a better description. Oh,
20200607_092732.jpg
and to possibly remove the dent or part of it.

I wouldn't try to remove the dent. Most likely the metal has been stretched and you'll end up with something looking far worse than it does now. The 2 halves of the flask are soldered together and should you have thoughts about soldering an eye for a strap in that hole you'll find yourself in for a lot of work.

I don't have the means or know-how to try to do any soldering. This may end up being a seldom used wall hanger. I like my powder horn!

Thinking out loud so to speak, if you are going to pull the top, you might be able to get something inside to gently push it the dent somewhat. You don’t want anything like a screw driver with sharp edges. Just gentle pressure to move it out. I wouldn’t touch the crease.

I don't know if it is an original or an Italian reproduction but it is called a Peace Flask. They were made between 1837 and 1858.

According to "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK", the originals were made by Ames flask company or Batty .
Around the clasped hands it should have "sunburst" of 13 sets of points which symbolize the 13 original colonies. Around these is either a circle or an ellipse with 26 stars. The book mentions the Union consisted of 26 states when Michigan entered it in 1837.
If the stars are in a circle like your's is, the flask would have been made by Ames. If they are in an ellipse, the flask was made by Batty.

The Peace flasks shown in the book all have valves with adjustable nozzles instead of just a simple tube for measuring the powder. That is not to say that all of them were that way but to me that valve lever and spring look very Italian so I think your flask is a reproduction.

Yup. REPRODUCTION BATTY PEACE POWDER FLASK — Horse Soldier

Back