• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horses for courses. Many of your countrymen are not 'happy' in contiguous Canada, let alone in the Northern parts of the Provinces. Sure, it gets hot in Alberta and, as we've seen recently, BC, too. But mostly it's cold, colder, very cold or just plain crazy cold. Even in my locale in SE Ontario it usually gets to a high of around 32 - 34C, but it also spends a lot of time hovering around -20C for at least three months, often longer. And we live in that, and nothing stops because of it, either. A buddy of mine who was a brakeman for OntarioNorthlands railroad used to carry a little taffy hammer to break the ice on his coffee when he walked the train at a halt checking hook-ups..

In April.
Yikes o_O

Cutting up some cedar/red cedar/juniper logs for knife handles. Theses logs have a beautiful heart.

Went on a UTV ride (yesterday - couldn't post out there, no reception and the Pony Express rider thought I was crazy) with some old retired farts like me. Had a great time. Like I've said before, my interests are varied. I need to get back out to the range, the obsession is starting to take over.....:ghostly:

210717-010a  1 x 1_5.jpg

The lower half of a meadow at a little over 6,000 feet. No smoke to speak of, thank goodness.

210717-010b  1 x 1_5.jpg

The upper half of the meadow.

210717-014  1 x 1_5.jpg

Silver City, Idaho

210717-021  1 x 1_5.jpg

Bases for electric motors and pumps for a silver refining operation. Poured in 1900.

Well, me got up in de morning, slavin' for bread, sir, so dat every mout' could be fed, poor me, me Israelite.

Grandottie's 16th birthday today, which promises to be the hottest day of the year for YEARS.................at 9.30 this morning it was 24C. I daren't look now...

You gots to remember where we are in the world - as far as you guys are concerned, we are practically in the sub-Arctic zone. Right on 52-35 N........
three dog night in july! with temps like that i can see why you are thinking of three dog nights.
yeah i know desmond decker and the aces did it first!

Last edited:
Cool & foggy this morning and grass was wet so I went to the range. 60 gn Goex, .490 ball, .015 patch. Frontier .50 cal. 50 yds off hand. Love this rifle and shooting BP! Only a few shots before it started to dry out again so I packed it up and headed home. It's very dry here so not worth taking chances of grass fire.

PhotoFunia-1626730859a.jpg July 18th 2021g.jpg

Got tired of my lawn tractor tire going flat. Pulled out the tire valve and filled the danged thing with Great Stuff foam.
Then went up to Weston Colorado and looked over a bunch of lumber to buy at the mill.

Got behind on the bushes, and we've a lot of rain over the past two years, damned things were up to the second story windows on the side of the house. Cut them back big time today. We have a tree guy coming on Wednesday and as part of the deal he's chipping up all these branches, so I have to get it all done now.
Tomorrow its the bushes along the driveways turn to get whacked.

Bushes 1.jpg

Was pretty hot out so I'd work on the bushes for an hour or so then go into the house and the AC and work on this for a half hour or so.

Primer horn.jpg

Have a picture?

Have you used one much before? Ive had newer and older knives, I found I liked the older ones better, and they usually can be bought for less money.

I was having a heck of a time getting my knives truly sharp when building cabins. A cabin builder neighbor stopped by once when I was building one, and dealing with the drudgery of trying to tune up the edge on a knife. I asked how he sharpened his knives, he said "Show me how youre using it", I did, flat side down...he said "turn it over, use the bevel side down, like a chisel". Once I worked the concave-ness out of the flat side and only used it bevel side down it became hugely easier to sharpen and keep sharp. What was previously an hours toil to get truly sharp became a 5 minute simple job, and I could keep them shaving sharp with a two sided round stone and spit.

I loaned knives to a couple people with the stern admonition that they HAVE to use them bevel side down, or dont take it. I could instantly tell when they didnt listen, which was every time, by the wear on the flat of the blade. No more loaning of drawknives.

Some new knives ive seen in stores had a secondary bevel ground on the flat side, it would take a LOT of work to remove that and get it right and easy to correctly sharpen.

One well known cabin builder showed pictures in his book using his knife flat side down, then mentioned that sharpening one was a job for a pro, its too hard to get them very sharp yourself. Using the bevel side down would change that.

If you dont have a blade guard, a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe with a lengthwise cut on a table saw makes a good guard. It snaps on friction snug.

View attachment 85513

View attachment 85514
Thanks for that PVC tip. Hadn't occurred to me.

Went to the farm today to shoot the Colonial 58 for the second time. Ran into the school Resource Officer on the way, showed him the gun and we talked for an hour. Had to hurry, the wife was an hour behind me with her list of things to do.
Fired 6 shots at 60 yards before the wife showed up. First 3 were in the 5" circle. Last 3 were around it, mostly me, was sweating like a drunken sailor on leave in the Bahamas.
Ended up running the chainsaw cutting limbs that were in the way mowing. Came home, grilled steaks and made some baked taters.

Done for the day.

Don

Last edited:
Went to the farm today to shoot the Colonial 58 for the second time. Ran into the school Resource Officer on the way, showed him the gun and we talked for an hour. Had to hurry, the wife was an hour behind me with her list of things to do.
Fired 6 shots before the wife showed up. First 3 were in the 5" circle. Last 3 were around it, mostly me, was sweating like a drunken sailor on leave in the Bahamas.
Ended up running the chainsaw cutting limbs that were in the way mowing. Came home, grilled steaks and made some baked taters.

Done for the day.

Don
Well, that last part sounds the best🙂.

made little rocks out of big rocks, then made tiny rocks out of the little ones. gave up and shot a couple unmentionables i'm selling.
then made this.
not very big but it cut open a amazon box of Ballistol! :ghostly:
tried it on a patch but it snagged pretty much. didn't want to break it like the rest of what i tried to make today, so put it in the display case.

Attachments

• 20210719_121436_1626722170375_001.jpg
    20210719_121436_1626722170375_001.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210719_121445_1626722116250_001.jpg
    20210719_121445_1626722116250_001.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back