• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re in a GMC 2500 now, she uses a small step stool getting in and out… She picks it up with the crooked end of her walking cane… if I’m not around.

Our second day of model T tour was from Granrsville Maryland to Confluence Pa
Visited Mt Davis highest point in Pa
And Wagner’s maple sugar camp and Comptons flour mill, mr Compton said his great grandfather built Compton flintlock and he said he had two 0CC34E75-6266-479C-A260-2CFBB0D571A3.jpeg

Attachments

• AB4FBA12-0532-4123-8E24-01BDF1CD8C6C.jpeg
    AB4FBA12-0532-4123-8E24-01BDF1CD8C6C.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 14876BDD-1C1C-4010-BB8F-8ABA0CE8584D.jpeg
    14876BDD-1C1C-4010-BB8F-8ABA0CE8584D.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 43
  • 964DAEFC-3044-4A22-8C98-4BBB6051C463.jpeg
    964DAEFC-3044-4A22-8C98-4BBB6051C463.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
This is a part of Vagabond tour Henry Ford did in 1918 and again in 1921 mines the 1922 just left of sign15458332-96D2-4AC6-9AB3-917AB665B057.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C3182A5-C712-49AB-8B9D-B6FCEECA1A9A.jpeg
    4C3182A5-C712-49AB-8B9D-B6FCEECA1A9A.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 43
At the range this afternoon. I don't see people there often, but today there was another guy who I see once in awhile. We were chatting about things in general.

THIS IS WHY PAYING ATTENTION IS IMPORTANT WITH OUR MUZZLEOADERS.

Powder down the barrel, patch & ball. start it, finish it and ready to go. "Hey he says, have you been to Cabelas lately?"....and we start chatting. Then back to my rifle....powder, patch & ball...hmmmm can't get the ramrod down properly......oh manure.

Anyhow, got the 2nd ball pulled, most of the patch came out....the first ball started to come apart on the end of the puller so just shot it out. Now most people would notice the ramrod not going in like it's supposed to but what if I was still talking and not paying attention to that either? I don't know what shooting a double charge and 2 balls would do and never want to find out.

Be careful out there! I will stay focused properly from now on. Never done that before and never again.

At the range this afternoon. I don't see people there often, but today there was another guy who I see once in awhile. We were chatting about things in general.

Powder down the barrel, patch & ball. start it, finish it and ready to go. "Hey he says, have you been to Cabelas lately?"....and we start chatting. Then back to my rifle....powder, patch & ball...hmmmm can't get the ramrod down properly......oh manure.

Anyhow, got the 2nd ball pulled, most of the patch came out....the first ball started to come apart on the end of the puller so just shot it out. Now most people would notice the ramrod not going in like it's supposed to but what if I was still talking and not paying attention to that either? I don't know what shooting a double charge and 2 balls would do and never want to find out.

Be careful out there! I will stay focused properly from now on. Never done that before and never again.
Like you - the range conversations can be very distracting. But that's when I get to meet with and see most of the folks I like to shoot with.
I have a solid regime of loading that helps keep things like that to a bare minimum.
Everything lays on the left side of the bench or stand.
When powder sets loaded - the powder measure goes to the right side of the bench.
When a ball gets started - the starter or rod (depends on what I'm loading) goes tot he right side of the bench.
As soon as the shot is fired - everything I used goes back to the left side of the bench.
It helps keep things orderly and in the right order.

You can shoot 2 balls out of muzzle loader. I've done it before. It kicks a lot harder.

I'm just loading up the old jalopy with gear to go and shoot my new-to-me Parker-Hale Whitworth rifle - if you recall, last week I busted a nipple putting it back in, turns out it had a deep and invisible flaw...I also posted about getting the wrong thread replacement, so I cannibalised another P-H rifle to let me shoot this one [see percussion rifle thread].

Today, it's the last of my 'forgotten stash' of .451cal bullets in two weights - 485gr and 535gr. We'll see just how they do with a moderate load of just 70gr of Swiss #2.

Watch this space - I'll be back.

For reference -

Old jalopy -
1625908088127.png

Whitworth rifle.....
1625908144300.png

Me -
1625908197344.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back