• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son called this AM to wish me a happy Fathers Day. We talked for quite some time. I got him into casting and reloading some time ago. He absolutely loves it. He loves the idea that he dosen't have to rely on the gun shops for ammo or even bullets. Then I finished inletting for and installing a inlay on the cheek piece of my J. Armstrong. After that I polished the bore of the same.

Finished up the patch job I mentioned earlier and shot the bow, it shot really well, hope the patch holds up. I put a super glue soaked wrap around the joint for insurance.
nolan fix complete.JPG

Well not today but yesterday actually, I finally got around to reducing the trigger pull weight on my Pedersoli Navy Moll flintlock pistol. I have a nice trigger pull weight scale that goes to 10#. It maxed the scale and then some. I estimate the weight at 12-13#. The trigger also had quite a bit of rearward travel. Basically a long very hard trigger pull. Two years ago I ordered a new trigger blade from 'across the big pond'. Took 3 months to come in. It ended up on the work bench and the 'back burner' so to speak.

So yesterday I decided to see what I could do about the project. I studied the placement of the trigger pin in relation to the sear arm. Studied a couple longrifle building books I have. Found that there was not much I could do about the that issue, some but not much. I drilled the new trigger to accept the pin in a slightly different location. Had to do some reworking of the shape of the trigger blade as a result (it contacted the trigger guard before moving the sear arm enough). I then smoothed the top of the trigger blade with stones.

Then it was on to the lock. Found that there was nothing wrong with lock other than the sear spring. The sear spring was grossly over built. Suitable stiffness for a dump truck leaf spring pack.😁 I also noticed that the spring was a bit too long. It bound against the sear as it was compressed. I carefully filed the entire long edge of the spring down to a taper, including the bend. Then stoned that edge mirror smooth. I then shortened the spring by about .030" and polished the edge. Greased all contact surfaces of the trigger and lock. This resulting in a crisp 7# with no grit or creep. I'm very happy with that. Basically dropped the trigger weight in half and reduced the amount of trigger travel. Has a better trigger than some of my double action unmentionables.

While some will question filing then stoning across the bend of the spring, I made sure that the entire edge of the spring had NO file marks that could set up a stress riser. That edge is literally like a mirror. I also dry fired (with a wood 'flint') the pistol 75 to 85 times afterward and the spring shows no signs of failure.

I'm still amazed at all you guys going to gun shows and stuff - not here in UK, in fact, more and more previously set up to run occasions are being canceled. We are very envious of you all and your apparent immunity to covid-19.

Yes Sir I don't envy you folks as it has to be frustrating. Practically everything here in the state of Pennsylvania is open. I do have opinions on how I feel about that but it would definitely take this General Muzzleloading area thread in the wrong direction.

Thanks
O.R.

Well today a few things came in from the LCS. One of which was a small brass hammer. The hammer is a plain brass 3/8" rod threaded into a plain brass 1/2" rod. Nothing special. I spent the afternoon with some files and filed some detail into it. Looks nice now and has some grippyness to the handle. I then found an old brass punch in my pile of odds and ends. I filed a ledge on the tip so that it will catch the edge of the flint properly. Now I have a decent non sparking knapping kit for my flintlocks for knapping a new edge on flints while on the gun.

Had a friend stop by today who is not into Muzzle loaders with a 50 TC New Englander and a 50 TC Hawken. Both were in very rough shape and had not been touched in years even after they were shot. He asked if I would go over them and clean them up as best I could so he could hang them on the wall. The New Englander cleaned up amazingly well and the bore came out excellent. The Hawken has a badly pitted bore and pitted badly around the nipple but I cleaned it as best I could. Both stocks and locks were in pretty good shape just needed some cleaning and oil. If they were not drilled and tapped for scopes I would probably try and talk him out of them and hunt with the New Englander and sent the Hawken barrel off and have it re-bored to a smooth bore to breath some more life into it.

My Wife wasn’t feeling well so I cooked supper….

View attachment 82128

Kelbasa , red taters, onion, bell pepper seasoned with Old Bay….👍
I decided to go simple, a chateaubriand with wine and shallot sauce, chateau potatoes and asperagas marinated in a raspberry vinigarette all served with an excellent twenty year old Bordeaux.

well today got up a 4 am,,drank coffee watch a little news,,,went to my shed fired up the bullet heater,,melt soft lead and made 200 36 cal maxi balls, but i only have 75 cci #11 percussion caps,,,so i guess i have to save them until hunting season,,or maybe i can find more caps????????????

Worked on my next Kibler SMR rifle. Sanded the stock and inlaid a Hunter's Star, plus a little bit of incise carving behind the cheek piece. I am still on the fence about putting on the Rupp patchbox, since the Curly Maple looks amazing.

I decided to go simple, a chateaubriand with wine and shallot sauce, chateau potatoes and asperagas marinated in a raspberry vinigarette all served with an excellent twenty year old Bordeaux.

Washed mine down with Milo’s zero calorie sweet tea…..👀

But I’ll have a nite cap before bed…
Usually a full shot of NyQuil…. Knocks me right out!

Party On!😎

Washed mine down with Milo’s zero calorie sweet tea…..👀

But I’ll have a nite cap before bed…
Usually a full shot of NyQuil…. Knocks me right out!

Party On!😎
You do realize I was joking........ No? :D

I did have a top sirloin steak with mixed veggies and my homemade iced tea. For a night cap I'll have water.

Reactions: smo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back