• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Son and I went shooting today or was it yesterday [ saturday ] He took his modern shot gun , rifle and pistol. I brought along muzzle loading 54 cal rifle and a 50 cal smooth bore rifle, for all good it done me. He has shot
my rifles before but this time he really enjoyed himself and keeps saying he needs to get one. so I guess there
is hope yet. I was left to shoot modern. But the idea of just father and son enjoying a day together is good
enough for me even if he is 49 now reminded me of my father and myself on our outings.
gunny

I feel for you, but seems like we are on the same road over here, any and all restrictions too take, curb, steal our god given right and constitutional rights too render weapons of the hunt useless, good luck and I hope you have a great hunt. What is a shooting license, if you all ready have the hunting license one would think that would suffice. Is it like our hunters safety course requirements.
A Shooters licence is basically permission to have firearms. The Hunting licence is basically proof you have passed the hunting course which in turn allows you to get permission to hunt certain public land. It can be used to seek a shooters licence. It is all pretty complex.
Where I am at the moment I can seek permission to hunt in the State Forests any time of year and no bag limit using bows or firearms.
My soiree into Meejum State Forest bagged my a look at a hare's butt!
But I did spend a time stalking a female roo for practice. She had 2 young, one at foot and one in pouch. Got to about 25 yards then scuffed my feet to alert her.

Well, folks, I DID go shooting black powder rifle today, and for the very first time with it in my possession. I used 62gr of Swiss 2Fg powder measured in a beautiful myrtlewood measure made by Grenadier, so there is at least some connection with this muzzleloading forum. The rifle was NOT a muzzleloader, but at one time it was a P58 Enfield Short rifle - you can guess what it is now. While I can't show it here, anybody interested enough can view the video made of the very first shot by logging on to Youtube and choosing tac's guns - first shot.

It was an inner 10, signed up by the RCO of the day... :)

1624191772845.png

While I like the results, I have to think the shooter and the rifle, not the powder measure was the significant source for the accuracy.

That measure threw 60.3 grains of Old Eynesford FFFg. Obviously a difference in density between brands of powder.

took wife too her antibiotic app. slid over too the clubs rifle range scored 100 rounds brass for un-mentionable military pistol, ran into the R.S.O. gave him 50 rounds of the brass you would of thought I gave him 100 dollars. Things are getting harder and harder too collect.

I went shooting.

We're gearing back up to do more youth muzzleloading instruction at two Scout camps this summer and I have four 1863 Remingtons that needed to be tested and zero verified.

Reactions: smo
Had a great Fathers Day breakfast then visited the Lancaster Muzzleloaders Association gun show in Quarryville, PA. It's always been my favorite show of the year. It was at the Solanco Fairgrounds this year and I had the willpower to walk away from 2 Belgian fowlers priced fairly! I promised myself I wouldn't pick up any more projects until I work my way through the half dozen or so pre 1900 smoothbores that I have in my shop. For some reason the smoothbores have been finding their way home with me in the last couple of years.

Thanks
O.R.

I'm still amazed at all you guys going to gun shows and stuff - not here in UK, in fact, more and more previously set up to run occasions are being canceled. We are very envious of you all and your apparent immunity to covid-19.

I'm still amazed at all you guys going to gun shows and stuff - not here in UK, in fact, more and more previously set up to run occasions are being canceled. We are very envious of you all and your apparent immunity to covid-19.

It is amazing when you think about it. My guess is that we just have shorter attention spans.

Got up early and went on the normal Sunday morning shoot with two friends. Had breakfast on the desert and put 18 shots through my 1861 army 44. It was a little breezy that kept the temp pretty much bearable but at 10 am it was pushing the upper 90's already so we came in. All in all it was a good morning.

Our local Volunteer Fire Department had their annual fund raiser. A raffle of 10 unmentionable guns, I participated by buying some raffle tickets, again. Still waiting for that phone call to announce the winners. Maybe my phone isn't working?

A short range trip today, raining on and off. My Frontier .50 with 50 gn Triple 7, .490 ball, .015 patch. Awhile ago I ordered some caps online, RWS 1075's. I received the order but they must have run out of stock on the last 5 tins because I got these instead. #55's...they are longer than the others I use including the 1075's. Maybe pistol caps? Concerned they would not seat properly on the nipple but they stayed put and went bang. Popped a couple just to see if they fired ok, then shot all my rounds with them. No issues at all. :)
June 20th caps.jpeg

LOVE this rifle. 6 shots @50 yds off hand.
June 20th 50 yds.jpeg

Have fun & shoot safe, RR
June 20th.jpeg

Had breakfast, mowed the front lawn- and edged.
Came back in and made breakfast for the wife. This was one of her bad days - dementia is a wicked beast. I gave her some meds and she has slept most of the day.
Talked to my sister in Tennessee, broke up the leftovers from yesterday's huge family pot roast and put 3 quarts in the freezer for later on. Left a quart out for today.
I watched a couple of wheat harvest videos - things have come a long way in the 50 years since my days on the family farm.
Set up the pot and replenished my supply of .535, .575 and .735 round balls. Somewhere North of 16# of lead.
Changed the rear sight out on my Mowrey 40cal.
just received a delivery from Tiff's - cookies and treats from my daughter for father's day.
All in all - a pretty good day considering I spent most of it by myself.

I love casting .735 balls. They flow like water from the Lyman mold.
735 balls.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back