• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made it up to Dixie Gun Works today. Picked up the Pietta 1851 Navy I had on layaway and got a new Lee lead ladle. Now I’m at work in the first few hours of a double shift 😩

my local Cabelas always has a lot of Pietta spare parts available, so this afternoon I browsed the cylinders, firing parts, nipples & wrench, etc.
Pietta cones.jpg

Pietta fire control parts.jpg

Pietta cylinders.jpg

Pietta wrench & cones.jpg

Had my drain lines snaked, scoped and jetted. Lots of old sludge, not surprising as the house was built in 54'. Found another problem though, need to replace my washing machine drain line which I may have to do myself after getting the estimate..........

Did a little buffalo hunting today....50 yds off hand, on a target board though, not my wife's favorite yard critter. Just stuck it on for the pic. Mama would not be happy if I filled her buffalo full of holes. These are .495 balls shot with my first homemade lubed patches. .010...an old shirt. Patch looks ok after shooting too I think. Did not burn through or come apart....could be smaller though maybe. Balls loaded fine with them, no issues. This is Triple 7 2F powder, 55 grains.
Patch Apr 2 2021.jpeg
PhotoFunia-1617409082.jpg

Got a wild hair and made strawberry ice cream, the real stuff. Something I haven't done in a pretty good while but it came out well. 95 degree ice cream weather here today.

Took the pooch for a bath, washed the dog bed, worked on a shooting bag, helped the wife bake coconut and chocolate p-nut butter cakes, for Easter, scrubbed the kitchen floor, was going to sample the pickled eggs but will wait on Easter meal. Talked to one of the guys I will hunt with in Wyoming this coming October. Made a plan to go trout fishing Monday. And later in the week head to my favorite stream with the fly rod.

Fixed my weather station by doing a power off reset on the base unit and re-synchro.
Rehung ranch sign out front. The chains were cutting through the backing so I remounted on a couple of matching 2x4s ad screwed that between the posts instead. Came out nice.
Removed the fencing around the old horse shelters that I'm repurposing into an outside shop and powder magazine.
Grocery shopping with the Mrs. Got back and found the main refrigerator inop. Construction guys accidentally turned off the breaker while doing rewiring for the kitchen mods. Danged good think I caught it. I'd have been requiring a pound or so of skin.

wm

Sporting goods store in town has a pretty good supply of four wing musket caps. Picked up two tins. Took the wife and kids down to Jackson for lunch then came home and dyed eggs. Fun afternoon!

About 15 years ago I had a water diverting wall put on the concrete pad under my deck, it only took 140 brick but I had to buy a whole pallet of 500. Like all left over stuff we tend to keep for that next project that never comes, my extra brick occupied a spot in the back yard, yesterday I decided I was tired of looking at it. I am a big fan of the Facebook market place and Craig's list to get rid of stuff and have found if you price it low enough there are plenty of people who will beat a path to your door to pick it up.

After I strike a deal there is often someone who really wants the item and will counter offer and promise to be there in 10 minutes to get the item. Of course for me a deal is a deal and no amount of extra cash will cause me to break the deal with buyer #1 after I tell him it is his.

The down side is John Q Public as a whole has no sense of honor or responsibility and may or may not show up as they promised. I had 8 people tell me that they were coming over to buy a gun cabinet one Saturday, I waited all day an not the first one showed up.

I am sure I could have put a dollar value on the brick and sold them but I just wanted them gone so I listed them as "free brick", local pick-up only, to see how long it took to get a response. I had two responses within the first hour of my listing. Guy #1 brought his wife and 3 kids to help load, drove over 50 miles and showed up on time.

Perhaps my 300-350 brick were worth more than I thought they were, the family sure wanted them and I was glad to see them gone.

brick.JPG

Worked on an old powder horn I made back in 1979. ( my first) It is a dark horn, and I attempted cutting in some lettering.
noticed it hanging there in the shop, and decided to refresh the lettering I scratched in so long ago. Very crude, but my first attempt when I was a much younger man.
Love it!

About 15 years ago I had a water diverting wall put on the concrete pad under my deck, it only took 140 brick but I had to buy a whole pallet of 500. Like all left over stuff we tend to keep for that next project that never comes, my extra brick occupied a spot in the back yard, yesterday I decided I was tired of looking at it. I am a big fan of the Facebook market place and Craig's list to get rid of stuff and have found if you price it low enough there are plenty of people who will beat a path to your door to pick it up.

After I strike a deal there is often someone who really wants the item and will counter offer and promise to be there in 10 minutes to get the item. Of course for me a deal is a deal and no amount of extra cash will cause me to break the deal with buyer #1 after I tell him it is his.

The down side is John Q Public as a whole has no sense of honor or responsibility and may or may not show up as they promised. I had 8 people tell me that they were coming over to buy a gun cabinet one Saturday, I waited all day an not the first one showed up.

I am sure I could have put a dollar value on the brick and sold them but I just wanted them gone so I listed them as "free brick", local pick-up only, to see how long it took to get a response. I had two responses within the first hour of my listing. Guy #1 brought his wife and 3 kids to help load, drove over 50 miles and showed up on time.

Perhaps my 300-350 brick were worth more than I thought they were, the family sure wanted them and I was glad to see them gone.

View attachment 71547

Its amazing how people won't show even for FREE items...

I listed 2 FREE pieces of clean ( smoke & bug free ) furniture once & I had 8-9 inquires for it. Like you, I had a commitment & they didn't show. Had another one they didn't show either.
Finally.....it was listed as 1st one shows up gets it.
You would be surprised how difficult it is to give away free stuff.
After 2 days, I finally put the larger piece on my truck and drove it a few miles to give it away.

I listed 2 FREE pieces of clean ( smoke & bug free ) furniture once & I had 8-9 inquires for it. Like you, I had a commitment & they didn't show. Had another one they didn't show either.
After 2 days, I finally put the larger piece on my truck and drove it a few miles to give it away.
Should have put a price on it. Would have gone immediately. People have a natural fear (subconscious) of Free, they feel it is worthless junk when the seller is unknown to them.
Walk

People more often than not will assume if something is free there's something wrong with it. Put some items on the curb with a free sign on it and they will generally sit there for quite a while and may never be taken. Put it out with a price on it and state knock on door to purchase and it will disappear almost overnight and no one will knock on your door..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back