• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaned my .40. I always go back over them the next day and a week or two after that. Can't be too careful.

Went to the dentist for the first time in 18 months. Office is now just taking patients on in a regular schedule. Thank you Covid. Mulched and rotor tilled the garden for my beans, chickweed overran my kale. Kale didn't stand a chance after the deer nibbled it down to about an inch off the ground.

Cobra 6

I find the traps catch the best if they are high on the deck support posts just under the eves. I have one hanging trap under the deck rail but it catches only half that the sold mounted traps catch. There will always be one trap that catches many more bees than the others, this one is over the stairs going up to the deck, I probably catch 50 bees a year in this trap. I use sawtooth picture hangers and a small nail in the 4X4 to hang my traps. I drill 4 holes in all the traps I make but only need three for this mounting.

trap position.JPG
trap hanger.JPG

Worked on the shooting house yesterday - more of the same today.
First day since last September/October it was warm enough to go without a coat.

Hmm, never mind. Yesterday it hit 70. Today is mid-30's, wind is gusting to 30 mph. My hands don't do tools well in those temps.

Instead I had the joyful task of picking up blowing trash on the nearer farm fields. We have a housing development going in on some adjoining acres. I've lived here sixty years and this is the first time this was necessary.

Insert unprintable words here.

Shot my Pedersoli Frontier in 36, and my wife's heirloom 70 cal Austrian smoothbore. That thing is a face slapper.

My shooting partner brought his 03A3 unmentionable, as well as his Pedersoli Pennsylvania. The 03A3 hits pretty hard for a 30 cal.

Got fed a huge breakfast.
Waddled away from the table.
Maintenance in the hobby room, oiling and cleaning.
Planning and preps on projects.
Settled on mold to use for paper patched in a .61 bore rifle.
Finished reading "By Heresies Distressed".
Then she brought me ice cream with banana slices.

I find the traps catch the best if they are high on the deck support posts just under the eves. I have one hanging trap under the deck rail but it catches only half that the sold mounted traps catch. There will always be one trap that catches many more bees than the others, this one is over the stairs going up to the deck, I probably catch 50 bees a year in this trap. I use sawtooth picture hangers and a small nail in the 4X4 to hang my traps. I drill 4 holes in all the traps I make but only need three for this mounting.

View attachment 70989View attachment 70990
I shoot them with *unmentionable* cartridges loaded with rice. Small fast powder charge, 2 wads, rice, another wad glued in place. Works well.

Don

Went shooting for the second time this week - this time a proper muzzle-loading handgun, the Ruger Old Army. Caused much mayhem to the target at 25m, mostly inside a 6" circle. using either hand, alternately. Should have kept my eyes open and might have done better.....

Tomorrow I'm going halfway across the country to inspect a genuwine Pritchett short rifle, actually made by Robert T. Pritchett in his St James of London Rifle Works sometime in 1858 - with a view to adding it to my little hoard. On the other hand, with the UK marching blindfold down the road to a total ban on lead shot of any kind, I might not waste my money. Quite what I, and many others with the same interests are going to do [ignoring pro tem the tens of thousands of people who shoot lead bullets from their unmentionables, including the national teams] has not been addressed, it would seem. This, of course, is totally typical of gubmints everywhere.

Apropos the chinese plague - found out that three fellow shooters had had it last year and one of them had lost his wife to it. She was a NHS nurse. :(

Received word from DGW that the items I ordered have been shipped. True to their word of a 3-4 week order fulfillment timeline. Patience pays, there was never any need to call and ask where my order is.
Good folks of Union City.

Tried to get a little work done before the hurricane winds picked all the way up.

Was 8 degrees with the windchill this morning!

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours melting down and pouring ingots of the lead I got from Justin .44. Pretty clean stuff!
Finished repurposing some kitchen cabinets to the outside shop. These are going to be handy.

wm

John, gotta ask what exactly is a bug hotel, and what do you do with it, you English fellows are interesting.
A bug hotel is just a pile of junk put together as a refuge for pollinating insects. We have so little open and uncultivated space in this country that many insects and small mammals are on the endangered list. Intensive farming and unrestricted use of chemicals, now happily legislated for, did untold damage to our ecology. Hopefully, enough of us will ‘do our bit’ to help Mother Nature along.

I spent the afternoon with Gary Barnes in his shop going over my 7 black powder cap-and-ball revolvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back