• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and hundreds of other retired guys (and gals) "work" part time at the Manheim Auto Auction. Which is the world's largest. Something like 25,000 cars on the property yesterday.
The guys I work with are from all walks off life. They were police, carpenters, printers, dentists, welders, managers, college professors you name it. The work is not hard and we talk all day about anything under the sun. That's my Thursday and Friday every week.
Today shopped for display hooks for my flintlock. Eventually found something spiffy. It will be a wait-shipping from France. Next need to do mower maintenance.

Scored two tins of musket caps, a package of 209 primers for the “other kind” of muzzleloader, and some Power Belt bullets for same. As penance to she who must be obeyed, I am now helping vacuum and will be doing dishes shortly....worth it.

I feel your pain. We just got back from our weekly shopping trip to Jackson. The kids and I burned through a lot of YouTube videos 😂

Sooo........ today I automated my chicken coop

As you can see by this picture I have an electric fencing system. Also note the light sensor located above the electrical box.

This system has an upper and lower sensing wire which works very well. I haven't lost a chicken in three years.

I also have an automatic door opener which is made from an old car aerial and motor. When the aerial is closed into the motor body the door opens and when the sensor extends the door closes. This is operated by the outside light sensor above the electrical box. The problem is that the system run off a battery charged by a slow trickle charger. In the past I had to run a 115 AC line over the lawn which was a pain the butt.

The solution....I bought a solar kit from Harbor Freight. This may seem like over kill but eventually I am going to install a 12 Volt water system to my well. These panels will generate 100 watts per day which is enough electrical power for the water system.

Attachments

• 1616887317723.png
    1616887317723.png
    568.3 KB · Views: 58
Our church donated it's riding mower to my sister-in-law and I got the "privilege" of moving it several miles down the road. It wouldn't start so I loaded it on a little 2 wheel trailer. It just wasn't meant to be a one man job.

I was planning a range trip this morning but it's very windy, low 40's with rain and a snowfall warning later. Might go anyway. Or I may see what I have for antlers in the workshop and make a couple more powder measures.

Reactions: smo
My 75 year old sister-in-law takes care of a bed ridden neighbor lady, she called yesterday and said carpenter bees were eating up the old ladies shed just outside her window and wanted to know if I had any bee traps on hand.

I make a lot of bee traps to give to friends and relatives every year but had just given away my last three. I buy a 4X4 Doug Fir post from Home Depot that is perfect for the project, I can make 14 traps from a $12 post.

I searched the shop high and low and couldn't find a piece of 4X4 long enough to make a trap so I decided to glue scrap 2X4s together to make my 4X4, I am a scrap wood packrat.

Last Christmas my son gave me a complete set of fancy quick clamps, I wish I had had some long ago, they are fast and easy to use. In short order I ran some scrap through my jointer and hade everything glued up.

clamping wood.JPG

Soon I was finished with the trap and off to my sister-in-laws. I didn't take a picture of my laminated trap but it is the same as the one in this picture.
new bee trap.JPG

The neat thing about my sister-in-law is she is a country gal who seldom leaves her home in the country, she is always cooking and feeds any strays (people) that happen by, a woman with bigger heart than hers doesn't exist. I tried to slip away without any of her food (which is wonderful) but have found this this to be impossible. I couldn't make it out the door without some of her homemade pound cake yesterday, she insisted.

Last edited:
If only wishes could come true🥴

I feel your pain!

Here in UK our OUTDOOR ranges, closed since the first week in October, open tomorrow - I'll be there!!

Meanwhile, our INDOOR ranges are, for the most part, closed TFN - that includes our indoor range as well, of course. Our air weapons league shooting has gone down the pan for the second year running, now, and we are certain to have lost a number of members as a result of the shut down. Even our 50m .22 shooting has been almost head-shot - we do that outdoors. .22 BR? Nope. Practical shotgun? NOT the sort of thing you can practice in your backyard, although many airgun shooters, like me, can shoot the 10m precision stuff in our backyards.

I have been doing a lot of that for the last month Steven, I had TURP surgery and have a 10# weight restriction plus orders to stay off my tractor and to stop doing all the things I normally do outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back