• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on re-tooling and re-organizing my shop. Sold tablesaw, bandsaw, and drill press. Shopsmith Mark 7 on the way to replace them.

Tuning up dust collection with 2 stage system. Adding shelving, and throwing out the junk. Basically re-imaging my tiny 12x16 shop.

My Shopsmith is an E. Its almost as old as I am. I find I still like having a small band saw separate from the Shopsmith as that change over is time consuming. Some days it takes me a while to get the old Shopsmith up and running as something always seems to need adjusting. We get along. I used the wood lathe feature (horizontal drill press) to make a jig to spin my percussion cap nipples when they mushroom a bit. I had some 5/16 soft steel rod to drill the tap holes and threaded one end for 1/4-28 and the other end for 6mm-0.75. Yes, I did mark each end.

Its getting to be a bit of a grunt to change over from horizontal operations to vertical operations. I'm going to have to recondition the jigsaw/scroll saw one of these days.

Last edited:
I had a dull day, sat in a chair wondering if passing blood and having so much pain from TURP was normal a week out from surgery. Went to the doc, he said keep acting like a sloth for another week or two and that my discomfort was normal.

My Shopsmith is an E. Its almost as old as I am. I find I still like having a small band saw separate from the Shopsmith as that change over is time consuming. Some days it takes me a while to get the old Shopsmith up and running as something always seems to need adjusting. We get along. I used the wood lathe feature (horizontal drill press) to make a jig to spin my percussion cap nipples when they mushroom a bit. I had some 5/16 soft steel rod to drill the tap holes and threaded one end for 1/4-28 and the other end for 6mm-0.75. Yes, I did mark each end.

Its getting to be a bit of a grunt to change over from horizontal operations to vertical operations. I'm going to have to recondition the jigsaw/scroll saw one of these days.

I decided not to add the bandsaw to the Shop Smith order. I may add it in later. It would be nice for resawing...maybe later.

Two years sounds about the right timeframe too me......... But I’m Retired! 😬
Soon, i will be retired too. Depends on the job i end up with. My take home pension after deductions will be about $150 less than my take home pay after deductions if i retire right now. But each month i stay in adds more to the pot. And i am over-paid for the amount of work i actually do, but i suppose it makes up for the headaches that doing administration for 25 + soldiers and civilian personnel gives me. And i`m not that old.

Carrying on with house trimming, do hope to get a minute or two on the .22 in today

Reactions: smo
Shot my Frontier .50 this morning...after filing down the front sight a few weeks back I am starting to gain some consistency. 50 yds off hand this morning. Took me a couple to get it figured out. If you wait for the wind to stop blowing out here on the eastern slope of the Rockies, you'll never shoot. :)
Frontier 50 yds March 19th.jpg
55 grains Triple 7, .490 ball
Frontier March 19th 2021.jpg

Watching golf channel
Sipping some brandy while the meatloaf dinner is in the oven for the grandsons - daughter- wife and me

Attachments

• 0AEA17A7-A660-4424-9F71-B36BBFCC8212.jpeg
    0AEA17A7-A660-4424-9F71-B36BBFCC8212.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 79
The dog and I done our weekly trash run, worked up 50 rounds of 45 colt brass for the unmentionable pistol, hand lubed 50 bullets for the loads, texted a good friend who is getting ready for a Lancaster build with suggestions on the builders section in the forum. Re-searched German hunting bags in preparation to put one together. Started to think about places to gather the needed supplies for the project.

Hit the range for a bit, came home , ground down five stumps, smoothed the area out and now I'm having a beer watching the weather come in.

wm

Started browning a gun barrel I’d stripped the blue off of. After one coat, I realized I needed more solution. Made an order to TOTW and added a few flints until the shipping amount changed, then backed off one.

Almost 60 here today. My wife and I spent time outside. Made sure all stakes, tomato cages, wire fencing, etc. totally picked up from garden area. Time to get the brush hog limbered up (smallish one for behind an ATV) to take down all the vegetable trash from last year. Then can limber up her Farmall tractor so when ground is warmer we can use her new/old plow to turn all that nice new mulch underground.

I had a dull day, sat in a chair wondering if passing blood and having so much pain from TURP was normal a week out from surgery. Went to the doc, he said keep acting like a sloth for another week or two and that my discomfort was normal.
Saying "hang in there" isn't enough I'm sure - but - hang in there.

I began filing and sanding the trigger guard on my Lyman .54 Plains Pistol kit. I'll shine it knowing full well the patina it will assume over time, but it has to be done. Was distracted by the barrel lying there and gently draw-filed and sanded the raised lettering...mustn't have that. While doing all of the above I pick up the stock occassionally to determine how slender I want to make the grip. So far I am pleased with the condition of the kit, it doesn't appear to have any major flaws or fitment issues. Permalyn Stock fininsh and Aquafortis Browning as finishes. I hope these look a little more authentic than the Birchwood Casey finishes I put on a CVA .50 Mountain Pistol back in the late 70's. Time has not overcome the 'plasticy' end result. If the finish on the Lyman looks good, I'll strip the CVA and give it a facelift. Looking forward to firing this. BTW, if any of you out there have some ideas on a finish please advise. Cheers.

At the range again with my Frontier .50. Ideal conditions when I arrived, zero wind. Best target I have ever shot with any gun by far; 3 in the same hole 50 yds off hand. Then the wind came up, and up....and up. Gusts around 40 mph the rest of my range visit, so went to a little bigger target and you can see the 3 or 4 that clipped the edges as I tried to steady the barrel, still at 50 yds off hand. The wind is a challenge for sure. But I'll take that first little 3" target to the bank any day of the week! What a difference filing that front sight down made in my confidence level. To all who gave advice, thanks!
March 21st 50 yds Frontier 3 in 1.jpgMarch 21st 50 yds Frontier.jpg
March Frontier .50.jpgShoot safe & often, RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back