• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John, I am going to guess it is a cartridge former for paper cartridges for a cap and ball pistol. The un-knowing is killing me.

Done Today..? ........Shaped a longrifle side plate and polish. Chiseled and rasped wood from around side plate panel , and lock side panel. Shaped cheek rest and wrist area. Tomorrow , resume finish shaping of cheek side of stock and then on to forearm area............oldwood

I know, you put a round ball in the hole and then you use a hammer to pound that pointy thing into it and walla, you have a minieball. Or it's a monkey puzzle. Or it's a coning tool for derringers.

Under ground fishin sounds like fun. Guess we were not quick enough to try that. Local sportsman's club held a county wide g/h hunting contest. The biggest ones weighed in around 16 pounds. We went after them with abandoned especially on my uncle's steer farm. Had colonies of them. The young ones went to folks on hard times to eat. In the 1950's the coal mines went down . Folks needed food to eat and were glad to get what they could. My one hunting buddy used to get 50 + in a summer . I cook two quartered young g/h's in a pressure cooker for 30min's. The meat is rather neutral in taste , pressure cookered with a couple chicken bullion cubes , large onion ,and butter , add some noodles salt and pepper. HOOOOO! , lets eat..........oldwood

We had an ice storm followed by 3" of sleet, my driveway is steep and long and now had black ice under the sleet, I became home bound on Sunday because I can't get out of the driveway. Just had a hip replaced so I can't chance a fall so I am staying in.

My cable and and cable fed land line phone went out Sunday, I am not smart enough to have a smart phone, I have a flip phone . I saw the cable guys down the street about noon today and suddenly I am back on line.

Being in the land of sensible power, coal, natural gas, fuel oil, nukes, hydro and very little green stuff, my power stayed on.

Under ground fishin sounds like fun. Guess we were not quick enough to try that. Local sportsman's club held a county wide g/h hunting contest. The biggest ones weighed in around 16 pounds. We went after them with abandoned especially on my uncle's steer farm. Had colonies of them. The young ones went to folks on hard times to eat. In the 1950's the coal mines went down . Folks needed food to eat and were glad to get what they could. My one hunting buddy used to get 50 + in a summer . I cook two quartered young g/h's in a pressure cooker for 30min's. The meat is rather neutral in taste , pressure cookered with a couple chicken bullion cubes , large onion ,and butter , add some noodles salt and pepper. HOOOOO! , lets eat..........oldwood
G/H is Mongolia's main diet other than sheep.

The Covid has caused my wife and I to get cabin fever. We got into a bad argument yesterday. I had her on her hands and knees begging , crying and yelling at me! She told me to come out from under the bed and fight like a man!
My wife taught martial arts for 20 years to girls at the High School. She just backhands me and the argument is over before it starts.....

Don

Took apart my L&R Queen Anne lock for the first time, to clean the gunk from behind the bits and oil it up. Most stressful 2 hours of my life, nothing would fit back together after taking it apart.

Finally finagled everything into place, now everything is nice and crisp

Shoot today was fun, I really enjoyed being out of the house and being around fellow shooters. Since COVID hit, I've focused on my students and providing for their classroom needs, and shooting has taken a back seat to everything else.

To top it off, last night at 7:00 pm, I got my 1st COVID shot, woke up at 3::00 in the morning with a very sore shoulder, my lower back was killing me and my legs were simply numb. So rough start to the day.

We arrived on location at the range at 10:45, shooting started at 11:00. I haven’t shot my gun in soooo long, I was looking forward to benching my gun at 100 yards, and dialing her in. I was feeling a bit better, the sun was shining...I was a happy camper.

NOPE...Linda would have none of it. I got signed up for the shoot, as did my dad.

Shooting went to 25 shooters, I was number 15.

At the pistol station, you had 3 shots, at a heart at 20 yards. Scoring only hits for today’s shoot, so 3 points possible. I did not bring a pistol, cuz I wasn't planning to participate...I was planning on shooting my gun and getting it dialed in. I hit the heart all 3 times, 2 shots touching and one about 1/2 inch low. I was pleased, those loner pistols were well sighted.

At 25 yards, we shot at small steel swing targets; targets...2 shots at each. I hit only twice, it was going to be a long day.

At 50 yards clouds rolled in, the wind picked up and the temperature....Dropped. There were again 3 targets. I hit the small Buffalo twice, and then never touched another target.

At 100 yards, there was a group of 3 targets, and then there was an elk you had to hit twice in the vitals and a turkey gong at 75 yards. 10 shots total...I was close, no but no cigar. Very depressing, a year ago this would have been a cake walk...shooting is a diminishing skill, Mine has diminished away precipitously.

By now, my arm was jelly, and I was running a fever and had the chills. So yeah, hard to shoot a flintlock under those conditions. I had to stop and sat out the last round of shooting, the tomahawks and fire making.

Got home by 2:45, cleaned my gun, put stuff away, took my wife to get take out for dinner...came home and died on the couch.

Hopefully they will be respectful when they move the body.

...yup, I got some work to do to get into my normal shooting condition. Sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back