• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4B4B4400-C276-460B-891C-FC9D5B6D1DF6.jpeg

Yesterday....

Home Epley maneuver report!
My girlfriend held my head as I went through the maneuver, turned out my problem was on my right side only. We went through the procedure the first time and realize we rushed the steps a little so we did it again.

The first time when I laid my head back for step one I had to grab the bed the vertigo was so bad, by step 4 I had no vertigo at all.

On the second go round step one caused a weak case of vertigo, I was free of any vertigo by step 3.

We used the video that a friend provided as a guide which mirrored most of the videos on you tube.

How it came out;

I couldn't sleep well propped up pillows like the video suggested so I was up a number of times last night. On my first exit from the bed I was overly cautious and got up very slowly expecting the worst, there was no dizziness.

Each time I got up I would roll over a little more and get out of bed a little quicker. The last time I got up I rolled over to my front side and sprang upright quickly as a vertigo test of sorts, it didn't raise it's ugly head.

One thing about having a bad case of vertigo, even after you appear to be cured you will be gun-shy for a few days about making sudden moves. Memories of that horrible out of control spinning take a little while to go to a back burner in you mind.

Here is the video should anybody be interested;

Made one of the grandkids his own range carrier,big enough for flask,balls,patches,wads,caps/flints,short starter.
its 12x6x6 with oak handle

Attachments

• 57A30461-DD72-45D0-84FA-B4DEA1359A82.jpeg
    57A30461-DD72-45D0-84FA-B4DEA1359A82.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 73
  • F20BE533-C7EA-420F-9F3B-8A75AA15BFDA.jpeg
    F20BE533-C7EA-420F-9F3B-8A75AA15BFDA.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 70
  • E319AC4A-C733-46A3-9AC4-CF5489C05FC8.jpeg
    E319AC4A-C733-46A3-9AC4-CF5489C05FC8.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 74
Cast some .590 balls out a new Tanner mold and mixed up a batch of olive oil/beeswax lube.if I ever order another Tanner mold I'm gonna have to take alloy shrinkage into account. The balls are coming out .586-.588. No big deal and my own fault for being in a big hurry to buy something. I'm retired but if this lockdown doesn't end soon I'll have to go back to work to pay for all the stuff I order and don't need.

Built out a range rod for my .54 Lyman GPR. Cut a tenon on a delrin rod with the tablesaw to fit the brass end cap and then peened in a pin and filed it flush. Made the pin from the leg of a barbwire fence staple.

Sadly, moved all my shooting kit into what I think is going to be long term storage. As most of us here in the UK are obliged to shoot on ‘approved’ ranges, I fear it’s going to be a while. Nothing needs cleaning, got enough balls and bullets cast lubed and sized where needs be, cut a million wads, made hundreds of paper cartridges. Told my wife what I was doing and she started off with “Well-if you are not doing any fettling...........

Too cold here to go to the range (currently 22 degrees w/2" of snow on the ground). Researching info for 2021 upcoming flyfishing trips across Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. Tying flies for the trips. Looking forward to getting out of the house. Had 1st Covid vaccination with 2nd one on Feb 17th.

Today was a somewhat perplexed shooter comrade with me .

At his dp-lePage pistol, the head of the cock screw had made itself independent , no idea whether he has overtightened the screw, but probably not. I think that he as a retired technician knows that after "tight" comes very quickly "off" ...

Anyway, my plan was to drill the screw stub with 1.6mm , then cut a thread 2mm , glue a screw with Loctite and then just unscrew .

Works mostly for me .

But it came much easier :

After I removed the lock (and quite amazed how lousy the mortise was milled - the old, skilled gun makers at dp are probably now all retired, they still knew HOW, anyway, ( my own lePage from almost 40 years ago is light years better made! ) and disassembled
I have , as planned , drilled the screw stump and the drill was literally "suck" from the screw material, so soft it was ! A cheapest hardware store screw has a higher strength according to experience !

( For better understanding : As a senior - optician master I am not completely foreign to slightly smaller screws , holes and material properties . The present generation unfortunately does not learn this any more - Where do we go ? )

Because the screw metal ( I deliberately avoid the word "steel" ) was so soft , I drove the 2.2mm screwdriver with a light tap with the 50-g hammer in the drilled hole and could then unscrew the stub without problems .

I then turned the new screw from silver steel ( 1.2210 ) on my lathe , but left a radius at the transition from the shank to the head ( sharp edge is predetermined breaking point ) , the thread used is , as with most Italian replicas , a normal DIN M3 .

After having cut the slot with my Dremel , I hardened the screw .

I like to quench the .2210 in canola oil , which does not become quite as brittle as in water .

Then on the stove top , after the hardened screw or better the screw head was ground bright , tempered to "dark blue" and mounted . The whole action was altogether a matter of about 1/2 hour , including explanation , what I'm doing .

THIS screw should last for a long time !

My comrade is happy that he can no longer lose his cock in the competition and I am richer by a knowledge:

When I see what is asked for a reasonably good replica compared to an original , I can buy the same , if necessary even for the amount saved for new refreshed bore and it comes still cheaper than such a humpbacked replica and it then stands for at least for another 100 years . Not to speak of the precision , joy of a relic and resale value !

PS.: This is just my personal experience and opinion , I REALLY do not want to attack any replica shooters !

AND VERY IMPORTANT : I am talking here about serial productions , not about the artificial works of art of the established artists like Baumkircher , Krebs , Dedinski an all of the expirienced ( even if not well known in the Old World ) gun makers in the US etc !

THEY still know how to do it right ! (Unfortunately I could not afford any of them so far . )

And I talk here in the forum mostly about pistols . From rifles , because inexperienced , I like to leave the fingers off it

PPS: I am amazed myself , what a long post such a small screw resulted

PPPS .: Sorry for my crude English !

Funny - to write this post needed more time than to make the entire screw :doh: and make my friend happy

Last edited:
Sadly, moved all my shooting kit into what I think is going to be long term storage. As most of us here in the UK are obliged to shoot on ‘approved’ ranges, I fear it’s going to be a while. Nothing needs cleaning, got enough balls and bullets cast lubed and sized where needs be, cut a million wads, made hundreds of paper cartridges. Told my wife what I was doing and she started off with “Well-if you are not doing any fettling...........

Yup, up here in East Anglia our ranges are all closed TFN. Already made around 1000 .457 ball for my ROA, and another 500 Minié for the guns that shoot 'em, but only have 10 for the S*i*e*r - a pal donated them to me with the proviso that I replace 'em when I get my own mould from Martyn in Spokane.

At least I can still raise some steam in my backyard, and play trains....

My comrade is happy that he can no longer lose his cock in the competition and I am richer by a knowledge:

Sorry , I wanted to write "`hammer" . damn translater ...:ghostly:

I think no one of us would be happy to lose his cock in competition :horseback::horseback::horseback:

Thanks for posting the video, Eric. I developed balance problems a few years back so this is something I might benefit from.

maybe the Mods will put in a ‘I salute you’ button?
Most veterans do get saluted one way or another. When one goes to the local Home Depot and gets a "thank-you for your service." On Veterans day the free meal at Denny's. Most retired veterans are on Tri-care for virtually free health care. Couple that with Medicare and it is free everything. Three times in the past I was pulled over by a police officer and as I shuffle around for my license the Military ID card surfaces in the array of other cards. Usually the police officer will let you go and "thank you for your service." And that because he has spent time in the military. Veterans do get saluted: however, they are in very subtle ways.

Cobra 6

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back