• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a fettling shed? I looked up the definition but it still makes no sense to me.

Thanks

Working on the Blacksmith shop addition to my log cabin. Got to have a place to hammer on my 450lb Peter Wright anvil. It was sold at a steel mill auction many years ago in PA. Also have everything else I need Buffalo Forge with original hood etc...

View attachment 56887View attachment 56888

Here is a couple more pics you folks might like

View attachment 56889View attachment 56890
Absolutely beautiful, i see no tv, no radio, just the sound of a stove fire what else does one need.

Recovering from back surgery, boring. Cold tonight in Virginia, trying to figure out how to load the ole wood stove without ripping out my staples.

Cobra 6

Ordered a new diamond shaped awl blade today... 20210124_080019.jpg

Worked on an old powder horn I made back in 1979. ( my first) It is a dark horn, and I attempted cutting in some lettering.
noticed it hanging there in the shop, and decided to refresh the lettering I scratched in so long ago. Very crude, but my first attempt when I was a much younger man.
I like it!

Don't do it Cobra;

6 weeks after my back fusion I couldn't ever tell I had surgery, it was that good. My self propelled lawn mower ran out of gas about 15 feet downhill from my driveway, "I will just push it up to the driveway" I thought. I had a 10# restriction, it probably took 50# worth of effort to get the mower to the driveway. I instantly knew I had messed up, my legs went numb and started stinging and tingling from the knees down, the neuropathy in my feet went out the roof. My fusion wasn't completely healed apparently, something shifted and the fusion healed in this abnormal position.

I have had neuropathy problems in my feet ever since, this was 4 years ago, sometimes they sting like a swam of bees are on them, sometimes they aren't too bad but walking barefoot off the carpet is very painful for me.

My back is touchy but I don't have much pain, sometimes none unless I over do.

As a foot note, I was an OH-6A crewchief in 67 at Ft Knox, I got lucky and was sent to Germany in 68 instead of the other place.

The spouse unit has ordered a walnut step back cupboard for her birthday. Spent a good chunk of yesterday planeing lumber for it, and today will start milling out parts. But I will also sneak in some time making and dovetailing in a front sight on the cherry jaeger I've been working on.

Well, my back and heavy colon pressure woke me up after only 5 hours of sleep, took care of the latter, made coffee, sat down at the computers and perused some of the forums I typically visit, scanned my email. Finally went out to the garage and had a cig after finishing most of the pot of coffee where the caffeine kicked in and had to reseat myself on the porcelain throne, made breakfast and sat in front of the computers again. Pretty much that's it so far today.
Thanks for asking.........
I kind of had a shitty day as well in a different way..lol. We got some snow but my wife and I were going ice fishing anyway. I just bought a new fish finder and was itching to try it out. Around 9 am, I went down stairs to gather my poles, etc. and found that my boiler furnace wasn’t working. The smell of plastic and metal told me the circuit board had shorted out. I tiny water leak from condensation got inside. I had to call the furnace guy, and of course he couldn’t get there until 2 pm. I read some more out of Allen Eckerts Frontiersman while my wife watched the Hallmark channel. Later, I cleaned three “already clean” percussion shotguns, then watched a couple NBA games. As far as fishing or shooting? We’ll see what next week brings

Last edited:
Remembring one of my trips to Florida, I thought of Wendy's. The best breafast. So I Googled it. Cut a long story short, made my version of Wendy's Chicken Sandwich

Wendy's  Buns.jpg

Along wit my 'birds nest' fries - yaffled in minutes. Thanks Wendy, you have lovely buns.
😘

Last edited:
Don't do it Cobra;
Yea..I hear ya. All this morning I had shooting pain down my left knee and leg. I'm now limited to 10 lbs, hope this surgery is the last. You mentioned the OH-6A. We had them in Vietnam [as you know] and later went to the OH-58. The pilots hated the 58 because they would go splat instead of rolling like an egg and dissipate the energy when crashing. I went a total of splat three times in both the Cobra and Huey. Hence, the back problems L-4/L-5.

Cobra 6

Was supposed to go to the ML club with my son today but he bailed on me, so I ended up going by myself and had a nice relaxing time :) I had the place to myself and finally got to try out my new revolver loading stand, as well as trying out my first .490 balls that I cast. Both worked great. I just cleaned my guns while watching duelist1954... Life is good!
IMG_20210124_145737.jpg

Yea..I hear ya. All this morning I had shooting pain down my left knee and leg. I'm now limited to 10 lbs, hope this surgery is the last. You mentioned the OH-6A. We had them in Vietnam [as you know] and later went to the OH-58. The pilots hated the 58 because they would go splat instead of rolling like an egg and dissipate the energy when crashing. I went a total of splat three times in both the Cobra and Huey. Hence, the back problems L-4/L-5.

Cobra 6
I was going to click ‘like’ but ‘liking’ you having back problems through fighting for your country doesn’t seem right, maybe the Mods will put in a ‘I salute you’ button?

I was in an OH6-A test program for a year at Ft Knox, we flew 100 hours ahead of the same helicopters in Nam to establish a probable parts chain to keep the ones in Nam flying. we had a Hughs Tech rep looking over our shoulders at all times, picking up on all the new techniques for working on the birds that we came up with. We qualified a steady stream of pilots and flew night and day, 18 to 20 hour days were common. I loved it and stuck with it, most of the other crewchiefs except the ones just back from Nam asked for a transfer because of the long hours.

I am pretty sure my trip to Germany was a thank-you set of orders for all I did for the project. My orders for Nam were in the in box as I walked out the door at Ft Knox with my 201 file headed to Germany, those orders didn't follow me over there like they did a bunch of guys who went over the same time as I did.

A good friend of mine and a highly decorated loch pilot quit the Army when they told him he had to fly an OH-58. He had 4 OH6-As shot to pieces under him in one day, they all got him back to his company to pick up another one. He was pretty shot up as well but kept going back into the fight. Stirling Holbrook, don't know if you ever ran across him. I didn't meet him until the late nineties.

Last edited:
What am I doing today? Dang, I rolled over in the bed two nights ago and got hit with a case of vertigo. I had it so bad 20 years ago I couldn't get out of a chair. I had the Epley Maneuver performed on me which cured me overnight and lasted until a few days ago.

I am not as bad this time but can't get out of bed without holding on to something until the room stops spinning.

I have looked up all the home administered Epley Maneuvers videos on youtube. My girlfriend, an RN, is coming over to assist me with the procedure later in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back