• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh … working on my mystery gun project. When I am done I will send pics and you can guess what gun it was originally. You have all seen the original. Polecat

I spent a couple of days in Kuwait a long time ago, along with Saudia Arabia, Oman, and Bahrain.

I am working on a bag for a young man and practiced the engraved front flap. 20210116_173203.jpg

Sized about 25 grease groove and 25 paper patched bullets to .450 for the Parker Hale Volunteer which I shot for the first time a week ago.

Taking a Turner Kirkland caplock to the range to try out some sized down Russian Svarog. 410 slugs along with some powder coated Turrner Kirkland conicals again. Also taking a .40 Gibbs replica with a Williams peep sight cobbled temporarily onto the barrel.

Watching 30 mph winds through the window. Was going to take a bike ride but I did it yesterday in the wind and I'm not enthused about doing it again.

Got to the Range last week and hit a perfect day so can't complain.

I made a Flemish bowstring jig for an old friend who manages the sporting goods dept at the locals Dick's. I have known him since he was a teenager about 35 years ago. He makes all kinds of strings in the archery shop at Dicks but never learned how to make a Flemish string for Trad bows, he sends all the people who want one to my house.

I have made hundreds of strings over the years over the years and don't really like to make them, I find boring work. If I give Steve a jig he can make strings for these people.

I copied my old string jig that I made 35 years ago and have made countless strings on it. I put feet on my jigs so I can sit in a chair, make strings and hold the jig firmly between, my knees.

steve jig feet.JPG

Shot the Turner Kirkland all day as it was so interesting. The slugs held together even with a 60 grain charge. Can’t use under a .50 caliber here in Idaho for hunting deer but just thought I’d give it a try for “science”. Most accurate were the round ball loads at 40 gr. Black MZ. The Kirkland conical and Svarog slugs weren’t bad but need further work. All 3 hit paper in roughly same spot at 50 yds. and within 2” from each other for round ball and 3” for the conical ones, Nothing to brag about. Now, will try some real black next.

Fun going to the range here in Idaho. Usually have one entire lane to myself.

Went rabbit hunting with a very good friend and his grandsons, it was a un-mentionable weapon hunt, but the jest of the story is the one boy is 14 he hunted beside me as we moved along if a rabbit jumped up I gave him the first shot, been hunting with the boy for the last 4 years today was the first time he limited out, he ribbed his pap and me the whole way home, once home the first thing he done was tell my wife guess what I out shot the old men today with a smile as big as you ever saw. That was worth all the rabbits in the world.

Stitched up a couple of frizzen stalls today. Been meaning to get this done for along time. Not saving big money over buying but I like to make my own stuff. Now that retirement has finally arrived I believe I will have plenty of time for these projects. Never mind the honey do list. Got a shooting bag I've been working on for over a year. Might finally get it done.

Im at almost 10 hours into my last 12 hour shift of the week. I like working nights alone. I can get some good reading in between plant checks.

It was yesterday actually. Took the new Traditions Kentucky percussion 50 caliber out for another test. I was hitting clay targets every time at 50 yards with no sight adjustments. Gallon milk jugs were no challenge. Next time out I'm going to try 100 yards. I know some folks look down on these guns but for the money and accuracy it's hard to beat. The two piece stock does not bother me.

(Howsomever, my next gun will probably be a Kibler kit. Just because.)

Ordered a conical bullet mould for my ROA and spent an hour in the fettling shed tidying up. To cold and damp to be out there long. Heard about the passing of a lovely man, Bill Curtis, old age (comes to us all). So tonight I shall raise a glass to the memory of one of life’s gentleman and mine of knowledge. Cheers Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back