• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m fed up with lock-down. I have authority to buy two ‘new’ revolvers but can’t get to go and get them ndd,, what's worse the ranges are all closed.

I have powder, charges made up and, I’m getting in top of my domestic duties - sort of.........

I went out to the fettling shed while my wife was at the gym and

View attachment 56233

The mug of tea is a most essential piece of kit.

Another 200 .457 balls for my Rugers and another 100 .577 for my lovely Enfield.

What did anyone else do (shooting related - today)

I know those in the US have some day to go yet but here the sun will be gone in an hour.
What is a Fettling?

Moved 5 inches of snow off the driveway, got another 3-4 inches forecast for tomorrow afternoon into Wednesday.

The shooting related part is I also moved the two foot drifts from around our shooting shack. Had been waiting for the ground to freeze harder so the big snowblower didn't tear up the yard.

In the course of things the blower engine was hesitant. Tried to use a small amount of starter fluid. Nozzle broke off the aerosol can when first opening. While attempting to hold all the aerosol parts together I ended up spraying too much. Engine backfired and set the air cleaner on fire. (Insert bizarre language here.) Wasn't a major deal to extinguish but somewhat melted inside of housing. Took a bit of work to correct things so the air filter elements once again fit correctly.

Probably best I had to quit drinking.....

Worked on an old powder horn I made back in 1979. ( my first) It is a dark horn, and I attempted cutting in some lettering.
noticed it hanging there in the shop, and decided to refresh the lettering I scratched in so long ago. Very crude, but my first attempt when I was a much younger man.
I think that’s a work of art. Very nice,

Worked on an old powder horn I made back in 1979. ( my first) It is a dark horn, and I attempted cutting in some lettering.
noticed it hanging there in the shop, and decided to refresh the lettering I scratched in so long ago. Very crude, but my first attempt when I was a much younger man.

That's actually really cool to me. I'm 35, and have items I made anywhere from 7-15 years ago that I look at and think about reworking at my limited skills have grown. But always think I should wait a few more years before tinkering with them.

Did a search for fettling and I found this definition:

fettle
[ˈfedl]

VERB
fettling (present participle)
  1. trim or clean the rough edges of (a metal casting or a piece of pottery) before firing.
    • NORTHERN ENGLISH
      make or repair (something).
      "the familiar sounds of bikes being prepped and fettled"
      synonyms:
      repair · mend · patch up · put right · put to rights · set right · get working · make as good as new · see to · restore · restore to working order · remedy · rectify

Did a search for fettling and I found this definition:

fettle
[ˈfedl]

VERB
fettling (present participle)
  1. trim or clean the rough edges of (a metal casting or a piece of pottery) before firing.
    • NORTHERN ENGLISH
      make or repair (something).
      "the familiar sounds of bikes being prepped and fettled"
      synonyms:
      repair · mend · patch up · put right · put to rights · set right · get working · make as good as new · see to · restore · restore to working order · remedy · rectify
Perfect yes. I use "fiddling" to in the same context. " I'm just going fiddling for a while".....

Moved 5 inches of snow off the driveway, got another 3-4 inches forecast for tomorrow afternoon into Wednesday.

The shooting related part is I also moved the two foot drifts from around our shooting shack. Had been waiting for the ground to freeze harder so the big snowblower didn't tear up the yard.

In the course of things the blower engine was hesitant. Tried to use a small amount of starter fluid. Nozzle broke off the aerosol can when first opening. While attempting to hold all the aerosol parts together I ended up spraying too much. Engine backfired and set the air cleaner on fire. (Insert bizarre language here.) Wasn't a major deal to extinguish but somewhat melted inside of housing. Took a bit of work to correct things so the air filter elements once again fit correctly.

Probably best I had to quit drinking.....
We’re getting snow too... all day long but it only amounted to 8 inches of very light champagne powder so I figured shoveling would be as quick as anything. I opened up the office, fired up the computer and then went to shovel. Well, two or three shovels full and I thought, “this is ridiculous!“ hung up the shovel and fired up the leaf blower. Cleared the entire driveway in less time than if I had used the snowblower.
I worked through the morning, layer out a couple big gun irrigation systems, got started with a third and then called it a day at lunch time. Wife and I played a few rounds of Spot-it! and then I went out to my fettling shed and fettled around for a couple hours. (I’m liking fettling just fine!) Winter’s nice, slow paced... it’s surprising what you can accomplish when you slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back