• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whirlpool, standard size, the 30amp circuit is standard American for 220/40 volt, which saves money on the electric bill. If people ran everything in the house on 220, they'd save a ton of money, but might be more apt to be killed if they contact it. (The children!) My Shorts have increased in size to American 44's, stark evidence of a decadent lifestyle in retirement, LOL!
Mine are increasing too. Wont be long and I will need diesel powered dryer for mine!

Not today, but yesterday I made a few more shooting patches for Bessie (.018 ticking + Ballistol + water) and some cleaning patches from some old pillow case material, just to use up my remaining bits of each material.

patches1.jpgpatches2.jpg

I have a 60"x36" piece of .022 cotton canvas I'm going to start on this week. I need to run it through the wash first, so I'll probably start spraying and cutting midweek.

Went to get my membership papers at the range near me that has a 1000 yard range. However I got my bubble burst on using the 1000 yard range. Need to demonstrate you and your rifle will hold a 5 shot 1 inch group at 100 yards, OK, been there done that with a lot of work . Need to back up your ballistic data for your sight settings so no Alvin York style Kentucky windage and can only make elevation changes under supervision. I think the Whitworth and I will stick to the 500 yard range and have fun, I used to shoot NRA High Power out to 600 yards so I don't know what the big deal is about only 400 more :ghostly:.
My patio range is only 100 yards (I know poor me) but want to stretch things out a bit with the Whitworth and 2 Band Enfield.

The dog and I took the garbage to the dump, he likes riding in the truck. Whitworth where you shooting 1000 yds. at, I have a feeling were not that far apart.

Went to get my membership papers at the range near me that has a 1000 yard range. However I got my bubble burst on using the 1000 yard range. Need to demonstrate you and your rifle will hold a 5 shot 1 inch group at 100 yards, OK, been there done that with a lot of work . Need to back up your ballistic data for your sight settings so no Alvin York style Kentucky windage and can only make elevation changes under supervision. I think the Whitworth and I will stick to the 500 yard range and have fun, I used to shoot NRA High Power out to 600 yards so I don't know what the big deal is about only 400 more :ghostly:.
My patio range is only 100 yards (I know poor me) but want to stretch things out a bit with the Whitworth and 2 Band Enfield.

Sounds like Peacemaker, which is where I shoot 1000 yds as well, but not BP of course. But, I've never had to worry about supervised elevation changes, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Their main issues is the backstops at 1000 aren't super high, and they don't want people shooting over them. Also, if you've not shot it yet, when you get to the 1000 yard range, you'll need to verify a 100 yd zero by hitting a clay pigeon on a small hill kind of on the left of the shooting benches. If you can't manage that in a number of attempts (I think 5?), then you're done for the day.

I joined there as well a few years back to get access to 1000 yards, but was disappointed to find out that you can only get to that range on Wednesdays. I understand why, but it should have been documented better as part of the sign up process.

Spending too much time on the computer since the lockdown and I'm beyond tired of having to be at home all the time. Been tinkering & stuff but nothing of any note. If the weather improves I'll look into going to the range, hoping I'm alone.

Well, today is a work day, but I take two hours mid day every day to hike the dogs a few miles. On Saturday I was doing some small-game hunting on public land and exploring what deer sign on that heavily hunted area was heading into a nearby swamp. I had made some mental notes on access into that swamp I wanted to check out from the other side, so part of my 2 hours today was spent checking the river on the other side for potential crossings to come in from the back side where no one else does. Also got a new powder horn strap in the mail so put it on the new Southern Banded Horn...then back to work!

P.S. I have a 125 yard range on my property, so can shoot all I want right here. There is also a public gun range 15 minutes from me that has up to 300 yard targets that is open...it's just an unsupervised kind of primitive shooting range (covered shooting stations, though) on state land. I think it costs a whopping $20 a year to join. Way too many people there on weekends, but if I go before 3PM on weekdays, I am generally the only one there.

Shooting any BP rifle at 1000 yards is a great achievement, not only for the shooter, but the bullet. Remember that at that range, the bullet is not travelling anything like as flat as regular modern nitro cartridge. In fact, it's coming down at a very steep angle, probably between 35 and 40 degrees to the horizontal if it started off at around 1300fps. I'm going to do the math shortly, which might make this post redundant in short order, but I'm hoping that Mr Minshall might drop by and help me out here - or maybe Bisley John.

My point is that any BP bullet is NOT going to go over the backstop and into the next county.

THIS 535gr Whitworth bullet hit the 40 degree backstop at the angle you see from only 500 yards. The bullet was moving well north of 1100 fps with the 80gr of 2fg behind it.

1609191554512.png

My friend John called around 11 and asked if I wanted to go shooting. I commented that it was snowing, but he insisted it was going to stop shortly and get warmer. It was 32 F when he called.

We met up at 1:00, the snow did stop, and went to a private spot he has access to. No one around. Worked on my offhand shooting from the possibles bag, and not wiping between shots, in preparation for our clubs primitive biathlon/woods walk. It went pretty well. I threw a few, but in general I shot OK, and the not wiping thing worked out without excessively hard loading. Anyway, it was a great time, and it warmed up all the way to 33 F.😋

I milled out a set of sights amd cut dovetails into a barrel. I got the rear sight installed today. Then I had to do other stuff. Hopefully I can get the front one in tomorrow.

Sounds like Peacemaker, which is where I shoot 1000 yds as well, but not BP of course. But, I've never had to worry about supervised elevation changes, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Their main issues is the backstops at 1000 aren't super high, and they don't want people shooting over them. Also, if you've not shot it yet, when you get to the 1000 yard range, you'll need to verify a 100 yd zero by hitting a clay pigeon on a small hill kind of on the left of the shooting benches. If you can't manage that in a number of attempts (I think 5?), then you're done for the day.

I joined there as well a few years back to get access to 1000 yards, but was disappointed to find out that you can only get to that range on Wednesdays. I understand why, but it should have been documented better as part of the sign up process.
The Peacemaker safety video made that statement about the 1 inch group. If I can't nail a clay pigeon from the bench at 100 yards then I guess don't deserve to shoot. Hopefully the video's 1 inch 5 shot group is just a guide line and it will be just as you say, killing a clay bird at 100 :thumb:

Worked at my part time job this morning. Home for a quick lunch, looked at the mail. Helped my wife with the 8 puppies we're fostering. Mid afternoon nap. Made dinner, ziti and venison meatballs.

I got a barrel back from Bobby Hoyt today. He bored out an old Al Martin .45 Lancaster to .50 for me as the barrel was toast. She was a tad heavy too. Got it reinstalled, made new pins, greased her up, and tuned the lock. She's now a svelt 7lbs and handles like a dream. I was happy to get her out of the scrap corner and hung on the rack. She's back in action. Middle gun.

IMG_0581.JPG

Oh, and since the lightened up Al Martin posted above was meant for my wife I also today put together one of my spare Lyman bags, a bag strap by Eric Ewing, along with a Tim Crosby horn Tim's wife Carla painted for my wife to go with the AM. She's now set up for the woodswalk at Friendship. I'll use it for a deer gun (sans horn) but it's officially the wife's. ;)

IMG_0582.JPG

Worked at my part time job this morning. Home for a quick lunch, looked at the mail. Helped my wife with the 8 puppies we're fostering. Mid afternoon nap. Made dinner, ziti and venison meatballs.
Well now. Never heard of ziti until a lady at the back end of our holler fed me some when I was working cedar timber there some years back. Man it was good. She passed away a couple years ago. Not forgotten.

What am I doing??? Building a flint rifle for a guy. Barrel is .58 cal. "C" Wt . Colerain X 42". Today , pinned barrel , and r/r pipes , installed the end cap last night , made the brass side plate to inlet in the AM. Make and inlet trigger plate next and will drill tang for # 10x32 bolt into trig. plate. Tomorrow, band saw stock to customer LOP ,and install the butt plate using a die grinder w/1/2" coarse file burr. That should be enough fun for one day. Pot of black coffee goes w/that and can't forget the plentiful Christmas cookies. ...........oldwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back