• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this weekend I'm going to make serious efforts to sort out my Whitworth rifle. I found forty 545gr RN multi-groove bullets that had been sized at some time long ago, but not shot. They all measure exactly .451" BTW. Mixing up my usual Summer mix of lube and quadruple-dipping them, I then recalled that my sizer had gone missing, although not before getting used. Also missing was my spiffy and expensive Perdersoli lube/greaser. Sooooooooo, after they had gotten solid, I pushed each one, base first, holding it firmly by the nose, into a .45-70 Govt cartridge case in which they were a perfect fit. The close fit served to scrape off the excess lube, leaving them ready to shoot on Sunday!!

Result!!

I'll probably post a little video on Youtube, if I can persuade a buddy to take it.

Decided it was past time to do jerky -
3# of a nice lean beef, half froze and sliced in about 1/8" pieces.
Worchester, soy, Carolina reaper sauce, honey, garlic, onion, habanero (fresh), pink #1
It's sitting in the marinade now - will pull it out in a couple of days and dehydrate it.
HOT HOT HABENERO JERKY 20210625_180418.jpg

Decided it was past time to do jerky -
3# of a nice lean beef, half froze and sliced in about 1/8" pieces.
Worchester, soy, Carolina reaper sauce, honey, garlic, onion, habanero (fresh), pink #1
It's sitting in the marinade now - will pull it out in a couple of days and dehydrate it.
View attachment 82575
LOL You like jerky? Or is it just a vehicle for hot sauce?:)

LOL You like jerky? Or is it just a vehicle for hot sauce?:)
I had to do some self evaluation in order to give you an honest answer.
I do like hot. So I have to answer both. I don't have to have both, but it sure makes a better jerky.
I can't repeat what the ABC judge said when she tasted my chili at a benefit fund raiser event.
I won second place in the peoples favorite class (ticket voting by the crowd before the judging starts) - but was disqualified for the official chili contest final judging. How was I supposed to know that you weren't allowed to have beans, serrano and\or habanero seeds in your chili? Seems perfectly reasonable to me...??? This Texas - we use beans and peppers!
My grandmother taught me to cook, and she was fiery one!

Griz44, Grandmothers are like that. I can remember growing up , while my brother , sisters and cousins were
outside playing ball. I'd be in the house helping my grandmother and mother cook. Of course I had to start at
the bottom (washing pots and pans) Then moved up to cutting vegetables and meat. After awhile I was allowed
to actually cook, Learned to can, cook and prepare meals. I still cook now, The SGTMAJ has her cooking and I
have mine. Every sunday baked bread and spaghetti and meat side dish , wine for me and lemonade for her.
Sometimes the kids and grandchildren and now grandchildren's families are over. When we go to TEXAS I have
a standing order to do the cooking , just me and my 2 grandsons are involved once or twice while we are there.
gunnyr
Grandmothers Rock

Griz44, Grandmothers are like that. I can remember growing up , while my brother , sisters and cousins were
outside playing ball. I'd be in the house helping my grandmother and mother cook. Of course I had to start at
the bottom (washing pots and pans) Then moved up to cutting vegetables and meat. After awhile I was allowed
to actually cook, Learned to can, cook and prepare meals. I still cook now, The SGTMAJ has her cooking and I
have mine. Every sunday baked bread and spaghetti and meat side dish , wine for me and lemonade for her.
Sometimes the kids and grandchildren and now grandchildren's families are over. When we go to TEXAS I have
a standing order to do the cooking , just me and my 2 grandsons are involved once or twice while we are there.
gunnyr
Grandmothers Rock
YUP - that's what grandmothers are supposed to do.
There were three houses on the ranch - grandma, papa then Uncle, aunt and then my father and mother.
Every time grandma wanted to grind meat or stuff sausage - I had to walk down there and spend the day on the grinder handle.
When we butchered a calf or hog - there was a lot of grinding to do.
And I did not complain, because along with the grinding there came those heavenly cookies - and lots of them.

Got the results of my MRI today. I'm good. Nothing 'lit up' , a technical term the doctor used ;) , when they added the radioactive contrast. It's like a weight's been removed from my shoulders. Thanks to all that offered prayers, and well wishes. I guess it worked.

All I can say is 'phew..............................................................' Stay well. :)

Well, this weekend I'm going to make serious efforts to sort out my Whitworth rifle. I found forty 545gr RN multi-groove bullets that had been sized at some time long ago, but not shot. They all measure exactly .451" BTW. Mixing up my usual Summer mix of lube and quadruple-dipping them, I then recalled that my sizer had gone missing, although not before getting used. Also missing was my spiffy and expensive Perdersoli lube/greaser. Sooooooooo, after they had gotten solid, I pushed each one, base first, holding it firmly by the nose, into a .45-70 Govt cartridge case in which they were a perfect fit. The close fit served to scrape off the excess lube, leaving them ready to shoot on Sunday!!

Result!!

I'll probably post a little video on Youtube, if I can persuade a buddy to take it.
Funny how those unmentionable brass things prove useful for other than their intended task. My empties bucket (.17 to .50) is the first place I look when I need brass to make a brass gizmo of some sort. Good luck with the Whitworth.

I went over to a friends house to visit, he is one more hunter and fisherman, his trophy room will make your head spin, mostly bow kills.

He does more research before he goes on a trip than anyone I know, he never hires a guide whether he is hunting elk in NM or the latest; fishing for walleye in lake Erie. Him and friend limited out every day for a week on the walleye trip. He showed me the latest high tech line counting fishing reel to get your lure at the exact depth the fish are at. Fishing sure has changed since I jumped in my flat bottom boat and worked the banks of the TN river near home.

MOwoX39.jpg

He had killed a deer in Kansas, one in Kentucky and one in TN and wanted to give me some meat, loss of hunting land and a botched hip replacement had my freezer bumping bottom from the last season.

Chuck gave me about 40# of burger and a bunch of tenderloin, his processor doesn't vacuum seal his packs so I am vacuum sealing today to give his gift more longevity in the freezer. He had about 200# he wanted to give away but I didn't want to get more than I could use.

r9dWdal.jpg

Home > Venison > Venison Loin Steaks
Venison Loin Steaks
Based on 4 reviews
Venison Loin Steaks
Season: All year
  • Tenderest steaks
  • Cooked in just 10 minutes
  • Pack of 2 x 100g steaks
  • Choice of 2 steak sizes
One of the tenderest steaks from the carcass, the loin steaks are cut from the saddle and come in a pack of two. Season the steaks well and pan fry with a little butter, and juniper berries, or even a little redcurrant jelly. Fantastic!
Pack size200g (2 X 100G)300g (2 X 150G)
200g (2 X 100G) - £9.50 300g (2 X 150G) - £14.75
Quantity

£9.50

Soooooooooooo, convert that to $$$, at TXR of £1 = $1.40....

200g is about half a pound.....and he has 200 pounds.

You do the math.

Last edited:
An acquaintance of mine from the range called a few days ago and wanted to drop by and see if I could help with a newly acquired black powder rifle.
It was a medium fast twist 45 caliber percussion - no name - no markings. Barrel was in great condition. It measured to .452"
I recommended using a conical to hunt with as that was his stated and intended use - to hunt in the upcoming muzzleloader season.
I had a few 45 (200 gr) hollow points that I had cast to use in a pistol - and he wanted to try a few of those.
I pushed a few of them through a .452 sizer-luber, loaded him up with a small flask, some caps and some instructions - and away he went.
He called again this morning - excited - and reported the results. He was hitting 2"-3" groups at 100 yards with them. Plenty good for deer hunting.
He stopped back by today - and I set up the pot and we ran a hundred (+) rounds for him.
I'll run them through the sizer tomorrow and lube them for him. He was headed home to make up a bullet block for a 100 rounds.
It was a fun day. We had a beer (or two) after the casting session. My price for this? A venison hind quarter from his first deer.
Seems like a good trade to me, and a chance to spend the afternoon with a friend.
20210626_133238.jpg

Brother and went to to Ft Loudon Market Fair and checked out everything. Came home and we shot his newly acquired CVA .50 Mountain pistol and my 1853 dated US Model 1842 .54 smoothbore pistol for the first time after finally running some .530 ball yesterday. The old horse pistol was a hoot to shoot and a pussycat with 27 grains 2F.
Model 1842.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back