• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from a week at the lake with kids and grand kids

Attachments

• C5B7EB15-4179-4E78-B70E-F9A9EC1E2C1D.jpeg
    C5B7EB15-4179-4E78-B70E-F9A9EC1E2C1D.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 38
Cleaned the firearms I fired at the range yesterday. It was a good day. We are attempting to remodel our bathrooms and kitchen, picking out countertops. The wife found a beautiful chunk of granite....... looks like no more toys for me. 😱

I feel you brother. That exactly happened to me five months ago. I’m sitting in the shop whittling on a gun, Prostate and cancer free, as of the 1st of June. Here’s praying your CT comes back clear.

Happened to me about 11 years ago. Scared the hell out of me. Bladder cancer killed my mother back in 1984. I survived it in 2009.

I'll post in advance...

headed for an MRI/CT scan tomorrow for something my urologist found at my last follow up.

I'm not excited.

Prayers sent. I had to deal with bladder cancer 11 years ago, hopefully yours is nothing. Even if it is, advances in the medical field have been amazing. They fixed me up and no recurrence.

Thanks Bob. As you're aware, it's a scary time.

Yes sir. When the Dr walked in the little room where my wife and I sat and said, “Well brother, you’ve got cancer” I sort of went into a mode where I was looking him in the eye and shaking my head in the affirmative as he talked. After a few minutes of that he smiled and said, “Your shaking your head but you’re not hearing a word I say”. It’s a huge shock that ‘I’ could have cancer. After that we just did what we were supposed to do. Some good days and some not so good followed, but all it really takes is courage…

Last edited:
I can remember the doctor. Telling at a young 39 young that i needed a triple bypass. Sock set in then out deer hunting it hit me again 2 stints put in 4 yrs later 1 more stint . I just left it all to my might God. HE CAN Bring you through this

For me, it was another lesson in humility. I took my 1970's West (St. Louis) County Trade Gun to the range. The long forgotten builder had a collection of parts, so a flint trade gun was built. Pedersoli(?) Lott lock, 1850's cast scroll trigger guard, shotgun trigger, 1795 Springfield sort of stock and pinned to a 42" full choke round smooth bore barrel from some unknown modern shotgun.

Been a while since I shot it and after I had removed some of the worst of the cobbled up parts. I carefully selected a 0.690 ball and a fairly thick patch. Should have used wads as the ball and patch was very tight. About the time I had the ball started at the muzzle, I realized that there was no powder at the breech. Nothing at the range was going to pull the ball. Our CO2 can is set up for percussion nipples. So 4 or 5 3 grain doses of 4f powder were poked through the touch hole. I tapped the stuck ball at the muzzle past the choke. The weight of the ramrod put the ball on the breech. A pan full of 4f and with the gun aimed at our berm, I shot the ball out. Light puff of smoke from the muzzle and an observer watched the ball go skipping down range.

I the fired 10 more balls, but this time with 90 grains of 2f GOEX, a 0.680 ball, 0.017" patching. I could just about thumb start that. Learned that the stock architecture is poor for me. Ear muffs hit the stock and I struggled to get decent sight alignment. Better with ear plugs. By the way, the target at 25 yards was an embarrassment. Think I need to work more on a turkey shot load.

Goofing around out of state with grandkids and trying to figure out just whereinell I'm going to do my shooting since the dummies in charge closed our local range for the entire summer and likely into November when it starts to rain again.
Guess I'll have to join another range in the area and burn some gas. I mean, I just took possession of an unfired ROA, I made a batch of .457 rb, my orders from Midway and TOTW have arrived at the house and now I'm an orphan for the time being. <rolleyes>
Oh. The closest range other than the local doesn't allow steel targets. manure.

wm

Last edited:
Yes sir. When the Dr walked in the little room where my wife and I sat and said, “Well brother, you’ve got cancer” I sort of went into a mode where I was looking him in the eye and shaking my head in the affirmative as he talked. After a few minutes of that he smiled and said, “Your shaking your head but you’re not hearing a word I say”. It’s a huge shock that ‘I’ could have cancer. After that we just did what we were supposed to do. Some good days and some not so good followed, but all it really takes is courage…
Well, now I have to wait until next week to hear back about the results, and what the next step will be.

The waiting...:rolleyes:

Hopefully it's just something benign, like a cyst, and life will go on as usual.
Prayers sent. I had to deal with bladder cancer 11 years ago, hopefully yours is nothing. Even if it is, advances in the medical field have been amazing. They fixed me up and no recurrence.
Thanks. It's my prostate, not my bladder.

Of all the things dad left me...😁

I fixed the failed patched bow, I will give the feathered out area a serving thread super glue wrap this time.

The first patch after years of use and the new one I just put on after the old patch turned loose.

wuIjKKL.jpg

JgGTOzm.jpg
Hopefully you are using a period correct superglue.
Beautiful work Eric. I wish I had a bit of your talent....

Well, now I have to wait until next week to hear back about the results, and what the next step will be.

The waiting...:rolleyes:

Hopefully it's just something benign, like a cyst, and life will go on as usual.

Thanks. It's my prostate, not my bladder.

Of all the things dad left me...😁

Several of my buddies have had prostate cancer of varying degrees. That's one that has bypassed me. The buddies are still walking around giving me a bad time. Whatever you do, don't give up. The waiting is the tough part. Prayers sent, regardless of location. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back