• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what did i just buy?!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I, in a moment of weakness(permanant condition) bid on this rifle/shotgun combination gun. counting on someone dumber than me to save me from myself, didn't work. it is being shipped as i type.
anyway, i really have no idea as to age or pedigree. it just looked cool and did i mention i am weak willed?
i figured someone here would have an idea what, when, and who. here are the pictures!
.34x12g
if it's just a wall hanger it certainly is an interesting one. now to think of a story to tell the wife.

Attachments

• pix008760497.jpg
    pix008760497.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4
  • pix034126189.jpg
    pix034126189.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • pix074990827.jpg
    pix074990827.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pix076224383.jpg
    pix076224383.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
  • pix088472973.jpg
    pix088472973.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pix160787532.jpg
    pix160787532.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • pix172101019.jpg
    pix172101019.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • pix182972297.jpg
    pix182972297.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pix185199551.jpg
    pix185199551.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • pix684676264 (1).jpg
    pix684676264 (1).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
appears to be a under/over with a very unique setup for firing the caps.
hope they expedite the shipping. cant wait to play with it.
I was looking at the action, trying to figure how the bottom barrel is fired. It appears that you have to move the rear block so the hammer will strike that. Then the block hits the cap. But that's just a guess on my part.

i agree that a part must be missing. am already rounding up my two active brain cells and designing what i think the part must be.
selection is as simple as just capping whichever barrel you want to fire. but that is just my simplistic thinking. when the thing gets here i will be better equipped to figure out its mechanism. my biggest concern is the possible condition of the bores. but there is always Bobby Hoyt,
before i sent the barrels to him though i need to identify the piece historically.

I have moments of weekness too, so much so that "look what I bought you sweetheart" no longer works. After 32 years she is no longer sensitive to things I drag home.

I have a tendency to over complicate things, however I agree that some sort of captured device fires the lower barrel...possibly an inverted T or L shape. It will be interesting to see more pictures once you get the rifle in your hands.

Neat mechanism to fire two barrels with one lock. I look forward to your further documentation. Several gunmakers tried similar configurations, but none were really a commercial success. As I collect percussion over under guns, I've got several (using various slightly different transfer mechanisms) in my collection. Typically they are not maker marked. Note that an octagon rifle barrel mounted over a round smoothbore bottom barrel is not unusual in these combination guns made after about 1850. Here's one of my transfer mechanism examples.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 10.59.14 PM.png

this is exactly why i returned to this forum! thank you for this information. i know and knew nothing of this type of gun when i saw it on gun broker. i just couldn't pass it up!
the smooth bore barrel on this gun goes from octagon to round with a wedding ring at the transition. seeing that i figured this wasn't a kitchen table creation. at a final price of 350.00 shipped i will get more just fondling it!

I have moments of weekness too, so much so that "look what I bought you sweetheart" no longer works. After 32 years she is no longer sensitive to things I drag home.

I have a tendency to over complicate things, however I agree that some sort of captured device fires the lower barrel...possibly an inverted T or L shape. It will be interesting to see more pictures once you get the rifle in your hand
My salvation has been that all firearms look alike to her.

The howitzer? Darling we have had that forever!!

Latest posts

Back