• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I just buy?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that rifle ... and ... my wife likes guns with light colored stocks. Of course, that means I must as well ... and I do. Great find. Dale

MTFURY - Great score for you !!!! I will also agree with deerstalkert and bubba.50 . . . it is NOT a CVA Mountain rifle, but a full on custom build that closely resembles one. I have an older .45 cal CVA MR marked "made in USA" with a 32" barrel. The butt plate on yours appears to be a bit different shape but is hard to tell for sure, the pewter nose cap is contoured and is not on a MR and the rear barrel wedge is closer to the lock by maybe an inch or so. You got a great looking rifle and a real good price. Happy shooting to you !!!

Douglas made very good barrels. Dixie Gun works sold them a a good price. So much so, that I thought they were "cheap" and inferior, but they way far from "cheap". They were known to be very accurate.

Last edited:
Was a m/l gun shop in a town in central Ohio , Jim Johnson ,Golden Age Arms , that sold those gun barrels , 1970's. Was to the shop a couple times , Jim was good guy to do business with. His barrels , all calibers , were 44 long , and 1 turn in 48 " twist. Please , someone correct me , if I'm wrong. ........oldwood

The blonde stock really caught my eye, everything else I own has dark wood
Well, it's gonna be a heavy hold with that barrel, but that can actually be an advantage in "off hand" shooting competition.
Thanks for sharing your find.
Now all ya gotta do is learn how to shoot it.
p.s. folks here can help with that, 😉

The caliber designation should follow the GR DOUGLAS stamp on the barrel. Because Douglas did the deep drilling after the flats were milled, there was often a run out of the bore. The GR DOUGLAS stamp was on the flat with the run out. @MTFURY's barrel has the stamp on the top flat so accuracy should be controllable by elevation of the sights. The barrels were supplied long for the gunsmith to choose the end with the least run out for the muzzle and to cut off the breech side for threading in the breech and tang for best fit of the threaded breech and to cut to the desired barrel length. Since the Douglas barrels were straight either end could be chosen for the muzzle. Since the stamp was at the end with the runout, the stamp remained at the breech.

While this rifle could be said to be of the pattern of a CVA Mountain Rifle, it most certainly is not a CVA Mountain Rifle. It is far better than that.

MTFURY, be sure to provide some pictures of a target once you have developed an accurate load.

The caliber designation should follow the GR DOUGLAS stamp on the barrel. Because Douglas did the deep drilling after the flats were milled, there was often a run out of the bore. The GR DOUGLAS stamp was on the flat with the run out. @MTFURY's barrel has the stamp on the top flat so accuracy should be controllable by elevation of the sights. The barrels were supplied long for the gunsmith to choose the end with the least run out for the muzzle and to cut off the breech side for threading in the breech and tang for best fit of the threaded breech and to cut to the desired barrel length. Since the Douglas barrels were straight either end could be chosen for the muzzle. Since the stamp was at the end with the runout, the stamp remained at the breech.

While this rifle could be said to be of the pattern of a CVA Mountain Rifle, it most certainly is not a CVA Mountain Rifle. It is far better than that.

MTFURY, be sure to provide some pictures of a target once you have developed an accurate load.
Will definetly send pix. My wife has really been eyeballing this muzzleloader so I might lose it. Oh well, just happy she likes shooting!

Back