• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I just buy?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just picked this up at a pawn shop, price was right so I bought it.

Anybody ever hear of this GR Douglas or Louie Poole????? Says on the brass plate on the side it was built in 1975

I am a newbie so bear with me for stupid questions

Attachments

• 20220330_173404.jpg
    20220330_173404.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 386
  • 20220330_173354.jpg
    20220330_173354.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 20220330_173446.jpg
    20220330_173446.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 377
  • 20220330_173440.jpg
    20220330_173440.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 20220330_173401.jpg
    20220330_173401.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 376
rock maple stock and pewter nose cap! design is close to the CVA mountain rifle.
GR Douglas stopped making barrels in about 1985 and Douglas barrels are some of the nicest barrels made. many are out there and some get all twisted up because of failures in the past. I have been shooting GR Douglas barrels for 50 years and will take any i can get my grubby paws on.
very nice rifle!

That's a really nice find! Sounds like it is going to be a good shooter from what they are saying about them barrels. Good looking rifle i think. Lots of people like a really dark finish but I don't mind a light one. Congratulations!

Ever willing to be wrong I went back and took a closer look due to @bubba.50 and @deerstalkert opinion. I now have to change my opinion and agree with them. Patch box doesn’t look right for a mountain rifle, rear wedge is too close to the lock, and the nose cap is a different shape. Good eye gentlemen!

Ever willing to be wrong I went back and took a closer look due to @bubba.50 and @deerstalkert opinion. I now have to change my opinion and agree with them. Patch box doesn’t look right for a mountain rifle, rear wedge is too close to the lock, and the nose cap is a different shape. Good eye gentlemen!
just intimate relations with CVA mountain rifles for decades! eyes are failing to the point i am not sure i saw what i saw, if i saw it!

just intimate relations with CVA mountain rifles for decades! eyes are failing to the point i am not sure i saw what i saw, if i saw it!
At first sight it does resemble a mtn rifle, mostly for the steel (pewter?) nose cap. Obviously, that's a long ustom barrel (38-40?). Once you look at the detail work like the patchbox, trigger guard and toe plate it's easier to see he got a great find on a quality piece.

That's an Ohio Vincent custom build,, far-far different from the CVA MR.
Your shown markings are from the barrel maker and builder, both known for their quality at that time.
The barrel is a bit longer than a true Ohio but only by about 2"s, and the fore-stock has been left a bit wider/heavier.
The Ohio was a Gentleman's gun, primarily for small game and/or target.
My guess is the rifle was meant/built for target use with the extra length and fore end hold.
All THAT was expensive at the time,, but worthless to someone without knowledge of it 45yrs later
Pawnshop finds are always speculative, What'd ya give for it?

Decent find, What are ya gonna do with it?

I think I agree with necchi on the Vincent style custom build. It's a very nice rifle and I have a custom halfstock with the same color stock.

Just picked this up at a pawn shop, price was right so I bought it.

Anybody ever hear of this GR Douglas or Louie Poole????? Says on the brass plate on the side it was built in 1975

I am a newbie so bear with me for stupid questions
Oh, man, you got a nice find! A Douglas barrel? Wow. Maybe Louie was the builder, it's a real find!

That's a really nice find! Sounds like it is going to be a good shooter from what they are saying about them barrels. Good looking rifle i think. Lots of people like a really dark finish but I don't mind a light one. Congratulations!
I prefer a darker color myself, but one can always strip and re-stain. That's a great find for him.

Back