• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I find?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this old 20 gauge smoth bore in an antique shop today.
Caplock marked Potsdam on the lock
Lock slips on full cock and everything is pretty rusty
What have I found and is it worth anything?

Attachments

• 20220520_151825.jpg
    20220520_151825.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220520_151820.jpg
    20220520_151820.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220520_151818.jpg
    20220520_151818.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220520_151740.mp4
    2.1 MB
That is a Prussian musket imported for use in the Civil War. Commonly called Potsdam muskets. Value will depend on condition, has it been cut down? How many of it's original parts does it retain?

That is a Prussian musket imported for use in the Civil War. Commonly called Potsdam muskets. Value will depend on condition, has it been cut down? How many of it's original parts does it retain?
It's pretty rough the lock and barrel are probably salvageable and look all original but tge stock would need replacement and tge ramrod is gone

The stock looks fine why would you want to replace it . The basic gun looks sound considering . The best thing you can do for that gun is to let someone who will look after it have it . And not be thinking of" Whats its worth ''.One of the annoying things on the Program 'Antigues Roadshow 'is in UK they seek what it Is & lastly its value. Wherass on the US version the first question is "What's it worth ?".

Rudyard

The stock looks fine why would you want to replace it . The basic gun looks sound considering . The best thing you can do for that gun is to let someone who will look after it have it . And not be thinking of" Whats its worth ''.One of the annoying things on the Program 'Antigues Roadshow 'is in UK they seek what it Is & lastly its value. Wherass on the US version the first question is "What's it worth ?".

Rudyard
Well if I bought it I would use it and well I suppose my real question should have been its it a reliable gun still?

As a guide if you seek a gun to use it depends on the condition particularly the bore . but it is historic ,it survived till now , its not expendable ,We have a duty to preserve such pieces . The better course would be to buy a new known to be sound gun. and there are such guns offered I believe. Try Loyalist Arms . they have a good name & ive known them for years as fair honest merchants .
Regards Rudyard

Back