• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What did I buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this today ,It's Thompson Center but I don't know witch one,neither did the guy that sold it to me

Attachments

• IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 252
If you’ll look a little closer what. You have is an Investarms/Lyman Hawken Hunter or whatever they’re calling it these days.

lt’s not a TC but an ltalian sorta clone of a TC

Is anything written on the barrel?

What is the caliber?

What is the barrel length?

What does the barrel measure across the flats?

Is that a plastic/rubber butt plate?

Could be an early Renegade.

It’s not a Renegade. It’s an ltalian Hawken custom or Hawken sporter or whatever Lyman calls them these days.

Yo
That’s an Investarms model 160 carbine my friend.

Not aware that Lyman ever stocked them? Cabela’s definitely did!

Respectfully, Cowboy

View attachment 47353
You are right Cowboy. I see a "I" and made in Italy. Any idea the twist? Not marked on the barrel. Gave. $ 250 as he said it was a tc. I can take it back.

Yo

You are right Cowboy. I see a "I" and made in Italy. Any idea the twist? Not marked on the barrel. Gave. $ 250 as he said it was a tc. I can take it back.

The model 160 came in two versions. Standard 28” barrel and the carbine version. That’s what you have my friend, the carbine version.

The twist is 1:48

InvestArms has always made descent muzzleloader’s. They’re definitely comparable to TC in quality for these types of rifles.

Respectfully, Cowboy

The blued Cableas’ carbine versions I had were fast twist, maybes 1-30 or so and shot conicals pretty well.

I stand corrected then? I stated that the twist was 1:48.

Last thing I want to do is give inaccurate information. Doesn’t do anyone any good.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I stand corrected then? I stated that the twist was 1:48.

Last thing I want to do is give inaccurate information. Doesn’t do anyone any good.

Respectfully, Cowboy
Many variations of these guns were manufactured over years. The Cabelas’ ‘Hawkens’ carbines I have owned had 21” barrels with a fast twist, if my memory is correct, all were 1-30 or 1-32. Doesn’t mean there weren’t versions with 1-48 twists made and sold. My sample size is only three, and I only have the one stainless sample left.

The Carbine version had a 1:24 twist according to advertising I've seen. Investarm marketed them & they also were sold through Cabela's. They are "nearly" the same as the Lyman GPR which Investarm also made, but Lyman never marketed them. Difference is the recoil pad, sling swivels, sights, nicer wood than GPR, one barrel wedge instead of two & the stock is checkered. The 28" barreled version had a slower twist. I think it was either 1:28 or 1:48 in 50 cal. They are very nice rifles. Mine is a 54 cal. rifle version. I also have a GPR in 50. The Investarm Hawken is the better rifle, but the purists frown on the recoil pad & the sling swivels. The pad & the swivels were the reason I bought mine & I would buy any that came my way in the rifle version. The Carbine makes a great women's/youth/smaller framed ML.

The model 160 came in two versions. Standard 28” barrel and the carbine version. That’s what you have my friend, the carbine version.

The twist is 1:48

InvestArms has always made descent muzzleloader’s. They’re definitely comparable to TC in quality for these types of rifles.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Not arguin’ but, the carbine l had was fast twist. 1 in 28 l believe.

I think that some of us are suckers for pretty guns & pretty womem??

Mine looks excactly like the one Cowboy posted. Except it has a 22" barrel. This morning I looked down the barrel with a light, not good so it's going back. I am amazed at the knowledge on this forum,and I appreciate the help you have given me. So I will look for another rifle for my wife. The fast twist would not work for the round ball shooting we do. Thank you all.

This morning I looked down the barrel with a light, not good so it's going back.

My opinion is that ya made the smart move on passing if the bore is not so great!

As for finding another muzzleloader for your wife?

I’d post in the adds section of this forum specifying what you’re looking for. i/e

WANTED
Light muzzleloader for small woman ( I’d put that as my heading)

Then in the description you can get more specific about what you’re looking for my friend.

State you want a twist that’ll shoot round ball. Wanting a light rifle. Specify your caliber, and anything else you’d like to add?

Personally, I’d buy from a forum member way before I’d buy from a Auction site. We specialize in this kind of stuff and tend to be more honest.

Positive you’ll be getting a lot of replies if you choose to go that route my friend.

Good luck.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Latest posts

Back