• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What Diameter Ball For Pedersoli Charleville Musket???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from shooters as to preferred loads. Pedersoli suggests .680 balls but they almost don't exist currently. Track has .675 and .678 available. Should I run one of those with a thicker patch?
Also when using paper cartridges what ball size do you prefer for a balance of ease of loading and accuracy?
Thanks for the input!

Looking for feedback from shooters as to preferred loads. Pedersoli suggests .680 balls but they almost don't exist currently. Track has .675 and .678 available. Should I run one of those with a thicker patch?
Also when using paper cartridges what ball size do you prefer for a balance of ease of loading and accuracy?
Thanks for the input!
Get the 0.678" balls. In a smoothbore, 0.002" won't make a measurable difference of performance. Its still best to measure the bore after you receive the Charleville. Then you have a better idea of what ball size and patch thickness or what wad you might want to make. Perhaps a nest of shredded tow to hold the ball in the barrel.

I have a Pedersoli Charleville. I bought a .678 roundball mold. First attempts to load were with a .010 lubricated patch. First ball loaded but with some extra effort, Second shot was a real struggle to load. Third ball was almost impossible. I even went to Oxyoke factory and had their shop forman try different patch thickness' to ease the loading. None worked well.
Now, I shoot the .678 ball after it has been ruffed up with two farriers files, giving the ball a dimpled effect. No lube. The roughed edges fill the void between the ball and barrel. It actually shoots quite well.

Bore mic's at exactly .69 so I ordered a bag of .675 balls to run with patches. We'll see how it goes. It'll be nice when I get a full kit together for this thing so I don't have to order every little thing like a greenhorn. 😆

Thanks for the input!
Try sizing your bore diameter. I have travers sizing dies. My Pedersoli 1766 Charleville is a perfect .689. I ordered my round balls from [email protected] and they are .680. It's best to go with a .007 thick, lubed patch. You'll find that will give it optimum accuracy. Track of the wolf has .010 thick wonder lube patches that would be a good compliment to a .675 round ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back