• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What constitutes a "defective gun"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my years owning flintlock firearms, it really comes down to how well the touch hole is drilled, breech plug properly fit and how efficient the lock works.

A recent kit had someone had worked on had the touch hole drilled too far forward, too small around 1/16. I test fired it with a blank and 3 shots and no ignition, because of the touch hole isn’t done right, it simply will not work Unless I pour an incredible amount of prime in the pan so the point where the frizzen can’t close.

Poor workmanship here

Last edited:
the bore is the biggest concern. Shame you cant provide some pictures. As for the vent hole. You can always remove material in the pan if you want it lower. One of my traditions is right in the middle of the touch hole, but shes the fastest flintlock ive owned and ive had some real nice pieces to compare it against.

Yes the cut out for the cock to come down on the lock plate is often one of the things I've forgotten about when I'm doing a build. Then I cock it and try to lower it and am confounded for a bit (after all that time of super careful inletting and bolt locating and tapping) as to why it won't fully lower. Feel a bit sheepish when I realize the source. Sort of a; duh, oh yeah moment.

If you are not satisfied with your purchase the vendor should replace it or give you a refund. They might charge a slight fee, such as a restocking fee, but I do not think they should in your case. If you are not satisfied with this gun now, you never would be. Keep us posted.

This gun could also be a Monday, Friday, or an "I've just received my layoff notice" gun.

To answer your OP, what constitutes a 'defective gun' is one that doesn't live up to your expectations, set by what they lead you to expect based on their pics and descriptions. By my definition, I'm disappointed every time I stop for a fast food burger, and a gun is much more than a burger.

Last edited:
To answer your OP, what constitutes a 'defective gun' is one that doesn't live up to your expectations, set by what they lead you to expect based on their pics and descriptions. By my definition, I'm disappointed every time I stop for a fast food burger, and a gun is much more than a burger.
This!
The OP has bought Pedersoli guns before and has an expectation of the level of gun to expect from the manufacturer. Not being "perfect" is one thing, but a gross QC fail is something else...

Pics as promised. First is of low touchhole. Hopefully pics are not too large or wrong format for forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_133431.jpg
    IMG_20200809_133431.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 116
This one was a real bear to try to take. You can somewhat see the 'honing' marks in bore. This only continues down the bore roughly 3" or so then the bore is mirror like bright and smooth. Very odd.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_133943.jpg
    IMG_20200809_133943.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 121
This one shows where they haphazardly ground wood away for the cock to freely travel. The oil bottle tip is pointing to where they accidentally ground into the lock plate. Very sloppy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_133633.jpg
    IMG_20200809_133633.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 123
This is very poor pic looking down showing how much was ground away from the wood in a semi circle above the lock plate. Sorry for the worthless pic, tech and photos are not my strong point. Roughly 3/16" of wood ground away. I get that this may sometimes be necessary, but darn they could of been a little more elegant about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_133544.jpg
    IMG_20200809_133544.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 108
Last two pics are examples of poor inletting. The entry pipe has 3/32" of gap ALL the way around. The forward pipe inletting is just bad. Oil bottle is pointing to a particularly bad spot. Hopefully you can see the gap.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_133732.jpg
    IMG_20200809_133732.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 115
As I said in my first post, if I am wrong here and or have unrealistic expectations then say so. However I've said this before too, I have either been really lucky with the Pedersoli's in the past that I've bought sight unseen OR this is a 'had one too many at the tavern for lunch before returning to work' gun.

Pics as promised. First is of low touchhole. Hopefully pics are not too large or wrong format for forum.

Touch hole seems ok, its slightly off but nothing that would keep the gun from firing, vent liner is an easy fix, although I don’t think you need it.

touch hole is slightly off, but nothing that could keep the gun from firing.

Tail pipe gaps are common even on factory guns, the Brown Bess style tail pipes at the very end have a off-set kinda of nail At the very tail end, so a slight gap is kind of necessary, yours seems a little bigger but I’d expect to see that on any factory made Brown Bess.

the Gap at the upper rammer pipe is a mistake.

Flint cock is sligthly crooked because the bridle is binding up the tumbler and sear, might want to consider polishing it down really well, if that does work file it down a littles.You can always loosen up the internal screws a few turns to straining out the flint cock.

The pics are of a gun that’s definitely not up to Pedersoli’s usual standards of quality. I’d be looking for a replacement or refund as well from the place that sold it to me. If they tried to pass responsibility up the chain to the importer, factory or wherever I’d stand my ground. They should have looked inside the box before they sold you what’s in it.

Back