• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What constitutes a "defective gun"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update-

I now feel able to divulge more details. The vendor, Dixie Gun Works, sent me a call tag via email to return the gun on their dime. After they received it, they contacted me via email and offered either an exchange for another Brown Bess, a refund, or credit towards a different gun. After an email conversation with an employee of DGWs I decided to take the credit option. I decided to opt for a flint Mortimer 12 guage. The two guns cost the exact same so I asked for who to contact to pay for shipping and DGWs offered to cover the shipping themselves! After the initial phone call, I feel as though DGWs has gone out of their way to be helpful and remedy the situation. I have bought a few guns from them over the years and will definitely continue to so. The same applies to Pedersoli. This is the only dud I've received from Pedersoli.

As for those who say this could not be a Pedersoli Brown Bess variant, well it is. The gun was a Dixie Brown Bess Trade gun. Hence the browned barrel and color case hardened lock. A fantasy piece for sure, but it absolutely was a factory Pedersoli made musket. I intentionally left that part out as it would of immediately identified the vendor and I wanted to give the vendor every opportunity to remedy the matter before their name got 'drug threw the mud'.

Maybe I'm too picky but this particular Pedersoli was not up to par with what I am used to seeing from Pedersoli. I'm happy that the situation has been rectified.

Not sure what Dixie does these days but back in the 1980’s and 1990’s they assembled their guns from kits just like Navy Arms did.

Jamie their gunsmith was usually the one who made the finished guns and did a pretty decent job.

As for the Brown Bess Trade Gun, I have to be honest here.... I’ve seen some of those in the field over the years at reenactments and I was never impressed with the. They don’t look like any trade gun I’ve ever come across, and I‘m not sure I’d trust their quality on a hybrid bess trade gun.

That’s great that Dixie offered the refund and or credit, I’ve ordered from them over the years. I really wish they’d update their catalog, its terrible.

Oh it's a fantasy firearm for sure. No argument there! I ordered it as a 'big brother' to my Pedersoli Indian Trade gun. That gun has been terrific. But I was wanting a bigger payload of shot for waterfowl. I've tried to warm up to the sxs percussion shotguns but they just don't do it for me. So I thought I would see how Bess Trade gun handled large amounts of shot on the big birds. I didn't buy it for any historical purposes. Just pure hunting. The flint Mortimer was my second choice anyway when I was thinking about all of this prior to buying.

Oh it's a fantasy firearm for sure. No argument there! I ordered it as a 'big brother' to my Pedersoli Indian Trade gun. That gun has been terrific. But I was wanting a bigger payload of shot for waterfowl. I've tried to warm up to the sxs percussion shotguns but they just don't do it for me. So I thought I would see how Bess Trade gun handled large amounts of shot on the big birds. I didn't buy it for any historical purposes. Just pure hunting. The flint Mortimer was my second choice anyway when I was thinking about all of this prior to buying.

I’d recommend the Brown Bess Carbine or Navy Arms Bess Carbine by Miroku.

Or a third model Brown Bess original, lots of the later third pattern Brown Besse’s are still good to shoot today.

I have a third model Bess repro, its got a 39 inch barrel and is a sturdy gun with a .745 bore.

Back