• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What caused this barrel finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just don't drink or inject it. ;)
Not every one is as stupid as a CNN reporter.
I saw similar on a guy who made southren style rifles back in the 80s. His guns were made to look a hundred years old.
I saw his work thinking they were antiques. He wasn’t trying to fool anyone and had a sticky note on the check plate with the date of manufacture.
I just asked at the time how he got such a neat old looking finish. He just smiled and said secret recipe handed down at the dark of the moon by three croons with a cauldron.
His stocks looked worn and some had repairs.

experimenting
here is my attempt trying the mustard trick.

Attachments

• IMG_3780.JPG
    IMG_3780.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 136
Apply small dabs of mustard and wrap with Saran Wrap - let stand for 12 to 24 hours - remove wrap and wash down ---see how it looks if you like it oil it and move on.

Dang. I have a stainless spoon that has acquired a lovely deep grey patina over the years, and I was hoping to figure out how to do it on purpose.
Yeah, now that you mention it..., one of the stainless table spoons in my home eating set has done the same thing. DANG if I know why it happened to only that one..., they all get cleaned the same way. 🤔

LD

You can get that effect using something like LMF browning solution and wrapping the barrel in Saran Wrap but I agree with Rich. The pattern is too regular to not have been a Damascus attempt.

Whether the splotches were intended with the supplemental use of white vinegar, mustard, etc, or the result of improper metal prep, the background finish/color appears quite similar to the metal aging solution available on Jim Kiblers website. It performs equally well on brass or carbon steel. It has little, if any effect on case hardened steel and no effect on stainless steel. Applying heat to a lock plate prior to application can produce an aged case color effect.
E8BBAF06-F84F-4DF2-96AC-BF53C1C860B8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back