• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what capper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer a leather capper. Mechanical things tend to always break down on me. I like the KISS method.
I have to agree. Maybe I'm just old and fumble fingers but I have lost as many caps that I have put on with any capper that I bought, and I have bought all that I have seen for sale.................A piece of leather, punch holes........works as good as anything. BUT the best way is to do it by hand...........Again that is just me.

Purchased at Friendship.
I’ve made a few previous references with this string.
I'm new to this forum and "Friendship" doesn't give me an answer about where I can buy this capper you reference. I saw a website for a "national muzzle loading rifle association" event held in Friendship Indiana, but the page did not have any attached links to a store. I backed up through the whole thread and just saw "friendship" as the "source". Please help a newbie out with a hint on where to buy one of these.

Capper?….
You don’t need no stinkin’ capper..

I’ve got three,.. they live in my box of superfluous muzzleloader junk with the ball board, crisco & stock nipples.

I use my fingers and seat them with a flat ended stick
Sadly this is the best answer.

I'm new to this forum and "Friendship" doesn't give me an answer about where I can buy this capper you reference. I saw a website for a "national muzzle loading rifle association" event held in Friendship Indiana, but the page did not have any attached links to a store. I backed up through the whole thread and just saw "friendship" as the "source". Please help a newbie out with a hint on where to buy one of these.
Friendship is the site of the NMLRA shoots east of the Mississippi. Many vendors have sale booths there. You being in Cali does not work well with Friendship Indiana.

Friendship is the site of the NMLRA shoots east of the Mississippi. Many vendors have sale booths there. You being in Cali does not work well with Friendship Indiana.
Just like so many other firearms related things do not "work well" with me being in Cali... :(

But this is home, I was born here, my grown kids all live here, so I'm stuck. (The once great state of California, where freedom now goes to die.)

Just like so many other firearms related things do not "work well" with me being in Cali... :(

But this is home, I was born here, my grown kids all live here, so I'm stuck. (The once great state of California, where freedom now goes to die.)
I'm sorry. I live in Illinois. Many of the same anti-freedom policies are in effect here. I too am 'stuck'.

I like the Ted Cash snail capper because it holds a full tin of 100 which is basically 2 or 3 range days worth of shooting.

I also have the leather circular shaped cappers .

I usually just use my fingers to cap.

I found this at Dixie Jim. Maybe you saw this also. But they are out of stock. Im going to do a little more research.

I found this at Dixie Jim. Maybe you saw this also. But they are out of stock. Im going to do a little more research.
I saw the one a Dixie too, but also found one made by Pedersoli here: Muzzleloading Cappers, Supplied By The Possible Shop
The price is $129 though!! The dixie one looked identical and said it was only compatible for the Colt Patterson revolver. I don't own a Patterson and was just looking for a better #11 capper. For $129 and questionable compatibility with my existing smoke poles, I'll skip this one! Sure is "purdy", but not for that price!

I have that capper and am not enamored with it. The tab that holds the cap on the end doesn’t have a sharp enough bend and the second cap in line holds it open so that the cap in action falls out when you go to put it on the nipple. I work around it by pulling the tap back until that second cap drops away from the front, but if I was to do it over, I’d get the one like it, with a guy’s name as the brand. Can’t remember the name.

Went back and read the other responses. Ted Cash was the name. I can only say that I am unhappy with the Traditions one though. Some day I’ll get another one to try.

Last edited:
I like the Ted Cash cappers , they may or may not be PC for some of you but they do keep your hard to find caps safe from the weather , greasy fingers and loss .
An oval capper similar to the Ted Cash is pictured in Ned Roberts' book, "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle". For all intents and purposes that should be PC enough. I find that gravity which is used to feed caps to the loading window of my Ted Cash oval capper is every bit as effective in delivering caps to be installed on the cone of my percussion nipple as a spring loaded drive. The oval and snail cappers are so easy to refill that I see no need to have a caper that is spring driven.

I have a straight-line brass capper that's just manure. Like others, I 3D print cappers that work great on all my revolvers. I load a bunch before shooting and eliminate all the fumbling. It's the perfect combination and complimentary use of old and new technologies.

Attachments

• IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ve got the heavy brass Polish capper and a Ted Cash snail- they’re both great on revolvers, even Remingtons.
Got an oval TC “Rifleman’s” capper and several of those straight stick ones.
The TC ones work on 11s, the other brands are junk.
I no longer use those stick ones, like Grenadier I use flints these daze. ;-)

PS: Senor Jim in San Diego, if you ever get as far north as Burbank Muzzleloaders range in Piru CA, I’ll let you try all of mine and take a stick or two home!

Last edited:
The little Traditions capper has a feature I find helpful - the wire clip swivels to hook over the "bolt" (or whatever it's called) to allow loading without having to be held back with your finger. It's also cheap.

My cap cache contains a mixture of sizes - varying lengths of the same diameter. No matter which ones I try to load into mechanical cappers, it will be the wrong one. Leather works pretty well and it don't care about length.

Latest posts

Back