• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What capper for a revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My "teardrop", or "snail" capper doesn't work on my Remington style revolver. What type of capper do you folks prefer for such work?

Last edited by a moderator:
hawkeye2 said:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/3/1/CAPPER-P[/quote]

As Hawkeye posted the link for: The Ted Cash Universal Straight Line Capper works just fine for all of our Remington and Spiller & Burr and Ruger Old Army Revolvers.

The latest versions of these accomodate #10 and #11 caps equally well. Older ones, say from circa 2012 and before, you had to prefit the #10s as not all would work. Nearly all modern Pietta Remington types work best with Remington #10 Percussion Caps.

Change the cones to those from Track of the Wolf and you can run Remington #11s.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a NEW style of capper that will work on the Remingtons. It is made by a fellow on this site from Poland (polishcapper). Here is his info . He has a video on how it works and it looks neat -- check it out. P.S. I am just passing this info on - have no connection with this item.

170 Zloty is about $43 for that device. I don't read Polish, but it might hold 150 caps. I bet an entrepreneur could sell about 50 of those at Friendship, maybe a bunch more.

Thanks for the tips thus far!

My "teardrop", or "snail" capper doesn't work on my Remington style revolver. What type of capper do you folks prefer for such work?

OP did not ask for HC did he, only what worked.

They hold approximately 150 caps. Per the manufacturer the difference between the PCA and the PCB is the engraving on the lid, otherwise they are identical. BTW it took less than 15 minutes to get a reply (in Polish) to an e-mail.

crockett said:
How common were pistol cappers back in the day? I always use fingers.
Interesting question so, I looked thru several books about Colts that I have.

After looking at dozens of photos of the presentation cases containing pistols, bullet molds, powder flasks, nipple wrenches, cleaning rods and tins of percussion caps I never saw anything even resembling a capper, be it a straight or snail capper or anything else to hold a cap.

As you know, many of these presentation sets included everything the pistol owner could use or want.

This leads me to the conclusion that cappers, if they even existed during the period, weren't even considered to be a useful novelty.

I have just ordered the PCA capper, the one with the polish eagle for my wife's Name Day present. In Poland there are designated days associated with a person's name, sort of like a birthday so she gets two presents a year. She claims there is no Polish equivalent for my name so I only get a birthday present, convenient. The transaction was a little confusing but I got through it and used Paypal to charge it to my credit card. I'll do a quickie review when it arrives but from the videos it looks like it ought to work well.

hawkeye2 said:
I have just ordered the PCA capper, the one with the polish eagle for my wife's Name Day present. In Poland there are designated days associated with a person's name, sort of like a birthday so she gets two presents a year. She claims there is no Polish equivalent for my name so I only get a birthday present, convenient. The transaction was a little confusing but I got through it and used Paypal to charge it to my credit card. I'll do a quickie review when it arrives but from the videos it looks like it ought to work well.
Very good Hawkeye2 please give us the review when you get done using it - looks like it would work well :thumbsup: .

Well I could not wait for your review so I just ordered one myself. Very easy to do and I like the looks of the Polish Capper - looks very well made :hatsoff:

Hawkeye; At first I thought you must be some kind of a wuss fer needing a pistol capper. Then I see it be fer yer wife not you. Now think I that you are wise, very wise indeed. Happy wife, happy life. Well done Sir. :bow:

There WERE revolver cappers available. I have a cased English percussion revolver by Parker-Field (I also have the matching revolving rifle!) In the case is a TUBE capper, works on the same principle as the cheap Italian ones or the better ones by by Tedd Cash -- but the tube is cylindrical and the cap are on top of each other and pushed down by a thumb piece. I have never used it as I didn't fancy putting pressure on the top a dozen or so caps ;-)

There WERE revolver cappers available. I have a cased English percussion revolver by Parker-Field (I also have the matching revolving rifle!) In the case is a TUBE capper, works on the same principle as the cheap Italian ones or the better ones by by Tedd Cash -- but the tube is cylindrical and the cap are on top of each other and pushed down by a thumb piece. I have never used it as I didn't fancy putting pressure on the top a dozen or so caps ;-)
Colt Pattersons had cappers in cased sets, have not seen any pictures of cappers from back then. As to the OP, I use my fingers on the Remington.

I have the Pietta '58 Remington. I use a generic straight line capper. Just grind off the last 1/16" or so of the spring fingers. (Be sure and take the caps out first) :)

I bought a polish capper and it works well for me. I have used it with #10 caps but they claim that it will work with #10 or #11 caps and a few others. The also claim that it will work for long guns too. The currently offer two models. The original was designed specifically for the 1858 Remington while their second offering is advertised as a universal capper. I do not work for the company. I am just a satisfied customer.

Back