• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What can you use on a Powderhorn to prevent it from cracking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim L

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What can you use on a Powderhorn to prevent it from cracking?
can you use olive oil, raw linseed oil, boiled linseed oil?

Unless its 200 years old, I don't think this will become a problem. Just paste wax it and watch for bug holes.
That said, nothing will help you if you are prone to dropping it, or shove a tapered plug into the spout farther than intended. Loose plugs tempt people to push them in too far and crack a spout. If loose becomes a problem you can rosin the plug spout. Or carve a tighter one.

Not much, if anything, needed. None of mine have cracked. For the sake of this thread I just inspected a horn my father made in 1922. No special treatment ever. No cracks. As for the plug. Use only soft wood for a plug. Materials like ebony, bone, antler do not compress and can easily cause cracking at the spout. I whittle mine from green branches.

Have three old powder horns , two of which are dated. one is a 1750's F /I War, another is Rev. war /1770's , and the 3rd is undated from the rafter of an old antique store as far north on Lake Champlain and still in the U.S.. All three horns have pine plugs. Guess folks back then didn't like to carry horns w/ heavy hardwood plugs either...............oldwood

Not much, if anything, needed. None of mine have cracked. For the sake of this thread I just inspected a horn my father made in 1922. No special treatment ever. No cracks. As for the plug. Use only soft wood for a plug. Materials like ebony, bone, antler do not compress and can easily cause cracking at the spout. I whittle mine from green branches.
I'd like to see a picture of your Dad's 98 year old powder horn, that's really cool!

If I am going to be out in long term wet weather with a horn I have in the past wiped it down with a thing coat of spar varnish from time to time. Gives it a nice patina, fills small holes and makes it waterproof. Modern spar varnish is also UV resistant.

Here it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 103

Latest posts

Back