George Davison was a gunmaker from approximately 1807-1826. He suffered failing health in 1826 and died in 1827. He learned the gunmaking trade by apprenticing for his father, Thomas Davison. George had 5 sons, Thomas, George, Edward, Bilton and John, none of which are noted as participating in the gun trade. These sons were with wife Margaret. He has four additonal sons with Mary, his wife after Margaret died. Robert, William, Charles and Anderson - also none of which are noted to be in the gun trade. The gun shop was at 5 Marketplace in Alnwick. His wife ran the gun business for two years after he died, then sold the property. George's brother, William ran a gun shop in New Castle under the name Davison's Gunmakers and George was half-owner of the shop but tended to work out of the Alnwick location. Second wife Mary was reputed to be a gunsmith, although women did not apprentice or obtain licesure in those days. The Davison guns were marked with G. or Geo. usually for George and W. for William. The shop address would follow. The Davison's had several gun related patents, but did not have any Royal Warrants. They were considered high quality gunmakers for working class people and made their guns bespoke, one at a time.
A sole proprietor did not turn out that many guns annually, so one in good shape is a rarity.