• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What can you tell about a Austin & Halleck Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity buy one in great condition. I never heard of the company before. A web search showed me the company went under.

I really like the looks but know zero about lock, barrel etc

any info appreciated and going prices too.

Thanks

_austin_halleck_hawken_zps9yenlryj.jpg

austin_halleck_hawken_flintloc2_zpstgvjthe9.jpg

if they are marked made in mo. the are of excellent quality. acurrate . if they were made in Utah there are piece of junk. north American arms bought them and destroied the rifle.

Did Ted Hatfield buy and run this company at some point in time when it was in Missouri? Greg

I have one in percussion. They came out in only 50 cal. If I remember right my barrel is a 1/66 twist. It is a nice muzzleloader. I have a highly figured maple stock on mine. It is a nice piece of wood. I think over all the Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle is a pretty nice muzzleloader for a factory made gun. The fit and finish on mine is outstanding and it is a pretty accurate rifle. The barrels came with a slow twist for PRB and also had a fast twist barrel for conicals. I have the slow twist on mine and I shoot .490 ball with .15 patch and 70 grains of 2F backpowder. If you have a chance to pick one up I'd go for it. You don't see them around very often any more. I saw one new in the box for sell on Gunbroker about a year ago and it sold for $750.00 Any way I love mine and the quality is very good. I hope this helps. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Well, I couldn't pass it up and decided to bring it home even with the mixed reviews.

$250 and it included over $125 in extras..case and a couple other items not shown in last picture.

Sparks great, clean bore, no cracks. Was used by prior owner with no issues.

It's a Utah gun from 05, they went out of bizz near the end of 06, I am willing to chance it at this price.

1_zpsuqayeizx.jpg

2_zpszn4rjigi.jpg

7_zpseumbfytv.jpg

3_zpso557i2ck.jpg

12 flints, 300 balls, 100's patches. flint wallet.gun case, more
extras_zpswfcfxf1p.jpg

You did not get hurt at all on this deal. If you have to do any work on it you will still come out ahead. Nice looking gun. Never saw one in the flesh.

it had to be left over from mo. company. I have seen 4 out of Utah and they where all junk.

rj morrison said:
it had to be left over from mo. company. I have seen 4 out of Utah and they where all junk.

I hope your right rj. All I can do is compare the quality to my other rifles and it is just as good or better. Wood to metal fit is great, triggers feel nice and it throws lots of sparks.

I hope to get out and shoot it soon. Here it is with the rest of the family.

z_zpsho4spmkv.jpg

rj morrison said:
I too am thinking it was possibly MO parts assembled and then stamped as a Utah arm? As I too have one like shown, with even a better stock w/ some striping in it and it too is marked as a UT arm.

Have heard the UT made ones were manure, but the one I have and this one as posted, look pretty darn good! I paid a tiny bit more than the OP ...

I've had two flintlock A&H Mountain Rifles - one with a 1:28 twist barrel, and the other a 1:66 twist.

The 1:28 barrel gave me one-hole groups @ 50yds, using the full buckhorn rear bbl sight like a peep sight.

Both flintlocks had such quick lock times, that I felt like I was shooting a metallic cartridge gun.

I only sold them (as I got older) because they were heavier rifles (9lbs) than I wanted to tote around my hunting grounds.

I had a Austin & Halleck flint it was a very good hunting rifle. I sold it to a friend when I got a custom .54. I took 6 or 7 deer with the rifle and he still hunts with the one I sold him. Good luck with the rifle.

Back