• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

what calibers were the Thompson Center Hawken made in?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
what calibers were the TC Hawken made in? ive acquired about 15 TC Hawkens in the las 4 years I have them in .45 .50 .54 and .58 not sure if I should count the .58 as it was a 1 inch 54 bored to .58 with roundball twist. ive added green mountain barrels in in 54 rb twist and found a lrh barrel for one of my 50 cal I call the odball rebores and such frankenhawks I do have several .45 .50. 54 that ive kept original did they make a 32 36 36 in the TC Hawken. I got onto the hawken shop and seen they just make the 50 and 54 gun broker had a .62 smoothebore tc hawken si im assuming a rebore any help will be appreciated

The custom shop made a .40 caliber barrel by Green Mountain. I have never seen factory .32 or .36 rifle barrels, but they could be had as "drop-Ins" back in the day. Not so much now.

I have seen 45, 50 and 54. Also the 56 smoothbore Never saw a 58 for the Hawken but they did do a 58 for the renegade base. I have a 1" ATF Hawken barrel bored from 54 to 58. It drops perfectly into a renegade.

I have seen 45, 50 and 54. Also the 56 smoothbore Never saw a 58 for the Hawken but they did do a 58 for the renegade base. I have a 1" ATF Hawken barrel bored from 54 to 58. It drops perfectly into a renegade.

They made 58 Hawkens but, they’re rare as rooster lips. I have seen exactly one and pictures of one a friend in California had. And yes, it was marked ‘Hawken 58cal’ on the barrel.

I have a .45 TC Hawken but would love a.32 barrel. Another unicorn to add to the wanted list.

You can fashion the barrel yourself or have someone do it for you. It's gonna be heavy!

There are other platforms more suitable than the TC Hawken that could employ a 3/4" or swamped barrel. None of this stuff is inexpensive!:eek:

Foxridge outfitters was T/C's factory custom shop and you could get a .58 cal Renegade and Hawken from them back in the day.

.45; .50; .54; .58; .69 Caliber loads are in the 'SHOOTING THIMPSON CENTER SIDE LOCK BLACK POWDER GUNS' manual under the Hawken and Renegade models, but I'm not sure of that was a Renegade or Hawken, or if it was available in both.

I know for a fact the Hawken was made in .54 caliber, since that is what mine is. (factory 28 inch, 1 inch across the flats, 1:48 twist barrel.) A friend also has a .54 Hawken that (other than the serial number) is identical to mine.

I seem to recall a Friend (or perhaps "Acquaintance" is a better analogy/term) at the CW Reenactments had a half stock T/C .58 Hawken, back in the circa 1988/1989 period. (It had brass fittings: trigger guard, butt plate, patchbox, and a brass forend cap, so it was not a Renegade, which has no brass, no patchbox, and no forend cap.)
I can't say I've actually seen a .69 Hawken -- or Renegade, for that matter. However, I've no doubt they made the Hawken and/or the Renegade in .69 smoothbore. Why else would they give loads for it?

Check with Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN for drop-in Green Mtn barrels for the T/C Hawken in .36 & .45 caliber. Might ask him if a .32 is available in the drop-in line. Green Mtn did make a drop-in barrel .32 caliber years ago for the T/C Renegade as I sold a .32 caliber Renegade last year.

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop 4445 Jernigan Rd. Cross Plains, TN. 37049 Phone: 615-654-4445
Renegade .32-21.jpeg

what calibers were the TC Hawken made in? ive acquired about 15 TC Hawkens in the las 4 years I have them in .45 .50 .54 and .58 not sure if I should count the .58 as it was a 1 inch 54 bored to .58 with roundball twist. ive added green mountain barrels in in 54 rb twist and found a lrh barrel for one of my 50 cal I call the odball rebores and such frankenhawks I do have several .45 .50. 54 that ive kept original did they make a 32 36 36 in the TC Hawken. I got onto the hawken shop and seen they just make the 50 and 54 gun broker had a .62 smoothebore tc hawken si im assuming a rebore any help will be appreciated

Here is the muzzleloaders TC made

Cherokee: Barrel: 24” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) & 1:48 (36 & 45), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, 36 & 45, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1994, Ignition: percussion

Seneca: Barrel: 27” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) & 1:48 (36 & 45), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, 36 & 45, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1987, Ignition: percussion

Hawken: Barrel: 28” octagonal, twist: 1:48, except 1:66 on 50 cal deep button rifling, Trigger: double set, Caliber: 40, 45, 50 & 54, Stock: American Walnut, Status: 40, 45 & 54 discontinued, 50 in production, many special editions, Ignition: flint & percussion

Cougar: Special edition of the Hawken, satin finish barrel, stainless furniture, highly figured wood

Renegade: Barrel: 26” octagonal, 1:38 (50), 1:48 (50 & 54), 1: 66 (50 deep button rifling), smoothbore (56), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 50, 54 & 56, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued, Ignition: flintlock & percussion

Big Boar: Barrel: 26” octagonal, 1:48, Trigger: single, Caliber: 58, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued, Ignition: percussion

Last edited by a moderator:
The traditional models list would not be complete without the discontinued White Mountain Carbine, 21 inch barrel, .50 caliber, first in 1:21”, then 1:48”. Also available fully camouflaged known as the “Treehawk”.

Another model I remember was the Pennsylvania Hunter, which came with a .50 caliber, 28” barrel with a 1:66” twist.

The discontinued round barreled “New Englander” in .50 & .54, was likely 1:48”, and was also available with a 12 gauge shotgun barrel, first in cylinder choke, then later with IC, Mod, & Full screw-in choke tubes. It was also available with a synthetic black stock, rubber recoil pad, & blued barrel and furniture. The N. E. Rifle was also available in a brushed nickel finish, called the Grayhawk.

I think the Firestorm was a .50 caliber 1:48”(?) flintlock carbine(?) in brushed nickel, made for the Pennsylvania flintlock season.

I believe when the Center family sold the company to Smith & Wesson in the recent past, S&W discontinued all of the traditional models, the Hawken being the last remaining, and all or most of the shooting accessories in the traditional line.

Thanks to “jrdavis” for bringing the dimensions of the individual models to light. Appreciate it. All the best.

Feel free to correct me if I missed on specs. We sold hundreds of T/C rifles in our black powder shop near Fort Bragg NC back in the ‘70’s & ‘80’s.

They made 58 Hawkens but, they’re rare as rooster lips. I have seen exactly one and pictures of one a friend in California had. And yes, it was marked ‘Hawken 58cal’ on the barrel.
I was lucky enough a few years back to find one as a NOS barrel which I put on a NOS stock. It definitely has .58 cal. HAWKEN stamped on barrel. Will be swapping it out to the Renegade round butt stock for heavy shooting........

There was also the High Plains Sporter in .50 caliber, the Express rifle, also a .50. Both were made using a pistol grip stock and the New Englander tang and round barrel in 24, 26 and 29” lengths.

Latest posts

Back