• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What bullet group can be expected with a 75 BB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry (Omaha) said:
Flint62Smootie

25-35 yard speed shoots

Very interesting to hear, but for me I wonder where our "safety factor is here? Not tying to spoil one's fun, but a accidental discharge will ruin anyone's fun.
Thanks again for the post.
Flintlocklar :wink:

Yes, the "speed load" thing sounds fraught with danger to me also. We should keep in mind these are experienced shooters, there, no doubt, is a range officer watching. I believe the CSSA has a similar event.

In younger days I played with speed loading. In battle it was get a second shot off fast or catch a half yard of steel. I used to carry a bullitboard. Now I take my time. I would never try to load a primed gun. There is no reason to risk even a hand wound to recreate the past.

Larry,

One of the larger detriments to accuracy with most Brown Bess Repro's is when they copied the locks, they also got the typical pretty heavy trigger pulls. Trying to shoot a Bess offhand with an 8 to 11 pound trigger pull is much more difficult than shooting a double set trigger rifle that averages say 2 to 3 pounds.

Bringing the BB Trigger Pull down to a much more manageable 4 to 4 1/2 pound trigger pull allows one to shoot these guns with much better accuracy. I might even go with a trigger pull of 3 1/2 pounds on the trigger for a gun that will be shot for targets and hunting, but that might be a bit light if you also use the gun for reenacting.

Gus

Bess offhand with an 8 to 11 pound trigger pull is much more difficult than shooting a double set trigger

Boy! I'll say, love them double set triggers they have spoiled me. I especially miss them when I shoot those funny guns that eat the brass pointy things . My Bess, by far has the largest lock of all my flint rifles, her trigger pull is averaging about 5.5lbs out of the box. I am impressed with how smooth it does work.
Flintlocklar :wink:

I’ll take a well-tuned single trigger over a set trigger every time ... as the extra lever in the set trigger increases the lock time.

Personally, shooting offhand, I find that a single trigger gives me more inherent and consistent accuracy.

I fell in love with double sets with my first build in ”˜76. Until I fell in love with fusils in the early 90s. I have one gun with double sets now. I don’t think I will build a gun with a double set now.

Larry,

If your trigger pull is only 5 1/2 lbs., then you are fortunate indeed. Good for you.

The trigger pull on my early 70's NA Pedersoli Bess was a bit over 9 lbs. and back then I did not know how to correctly lighten the trigger pull. Wish I learned to do that before I shattered the wrist on that BB.

I, too, like a good single trigger with a good trigger pull, thought I must say I enjoy the set triggers on my flint rifle.

Gus

My favorite flint longrifle does not have sett triggers. But, it has a fairly light, beautifully smooth let-off. Love it. However, my other rifles are double-sett and I like that. We're back to pick yer own pizzen and do yer own thang. Whatever works for you, works. :grin:

I’ve seen a group shot in the mid-1990’s with a charleville original musket approx .69cal with 10 of 13 shots in the 4inch 10 ring at 50m(approx 55 yards) shot offhand. Best I ever saw, load was 95gr 1Fg, rolled ball, tow wad and shot dirty. The shots formed a “V” shape in the 10 ring, most of them touching. It truly surprised me in just how accurate large smoothbores could be.

I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine, I shoot a .690" ball with a denim patch, or the same ball "chewed" with a thinner (.028" maybe) patch and get excellent accuracy. My Bess prefers a charge of 140 grains of fg for best accuracy. Paper cartridges load really fast, (leave the ball in the paper) but I don't get exactly "great" accuracy with them. :) But I always carry three or four in case I want a close follow up shot as fast as possible. Or if them wolves ever attack me. !!! :)

I personally don't find it excessive. I am/have always been somewhat "recoil tolerant". One would have to try it out. !!! But I can shoot that load with a T-shirt on, even though a light jacket or sweater is preferred. My guess would be that it kicks much less than a modern 12 gauge shotgun with slug loads. Certainly much-much-much less than a 3" modern 12 gauge load.

I've noticed that lots of guys get good results with bare-ball. As I've come a long way working up a good combo with patching, I probably won't switch. But I sure wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it.

Back