• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What brand is this older powder??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I bought some bp at an estate sale that was in the old mostly white type label metal goex cans but after shooting it comparing to goex 3f I found that it will not group the same. Hence, it is not goex. I'm thinking it is an older brand no longer sold. What brand would it be? It's 3f. Also, what loads with it will shoot good in a 45 percussion rifle?
Thanks for the help.

Hard to say! How does anyone know weather or not someone used the cans and dumped any kind of powder in?
Dupont powder used to be in Red and White cans. It was good powder!
Larry

Hello All,
I bought some bp at an estate sale that was in the old mostly white type label metal goex cans but after shooting it comparing to goex 3f I found that it will not group the same. Hence, it is not goex. I'm thinking it is an older brand no longer sold. What brand would it be? It's 3f. Also, what loads with it will shoot good in a 45 percussion rifle?
Thanks for the help.
A photograph would help. Guessing you have something that looks like one of these. And before using it, confirm 100% that it is blackpowder. If you are not sure, dump it and save the can.
1648569250265.jpeg

Enclosed are a couple of images off both American and English old black powder tins which may help Please note that these images are to help in solving a question and not for parading has suggested by some members ,
Feltwad
American tins
P1010001.JPG

English powder tins
P1010003.JPG

A photograph would help. Guessing you have something that looks like one of these. And before using it, confirm 100% that it is blackpowder. If you are not sure, dump it and save the can.
View attachment 130976

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, the DUPONT was what was available in our area. I haven't seen one of those in ages. Oh, BTW, I was shooting a CVA .45 cal. Kentucky back then, it shot just fine. My .50 cal. is a recent acquisition so I have no idea how well that DUPONT powder would shoot. I was stuck with using Pyrodex at first although different grades with different loads varied a lot, some of it shot quite well.

Last edited:
Enclosed are a couple of images off both American and English old black powder tins which may help Please note that these images are to help in solving a question and not for parading has suggested by some members ,
Feltwad
American tins View attachment 130977

English powder tins
View attachment 130978

Ignore those that accuse you of manure like parading. They most likely wish they had a collection like that. It's pretty cool.

More info. Yes it's in the old goex cans pictured above. But the lids were not real tight and the powder was not chunky. The powder was filled all the way to the very top which manufacturers are about 1" from the top. The powder is 3f and very uniform, i.e, not a mix of different sizes.

Thanks but I'm not even that smart. Anyway, let's guess it's DUPONT , so, what loads with a ball shoot good yall (you guys, yes, I'm part yankee too)?

Thanks but I'm not even that smart. Anyway, let's guess it's DUPONT , so, what loads with a ball shoot good yall (you guys, yes, I'm part yankee too)?
DuPont put a lot of different powders in cans over the years, and some folks put different powders in empty cans over the years. Some this forum like to put their blackpowder that comes in plastic containers into their old Goex cans. Make sure it’s blackpowder first. If you are guessing, make sure you have someone hold your beer so none is spilled.

LOL!! SDSmlf, you're like me, and yes it's real bp because it will light with them old brass caps from the "50s will light it and of course it smells SOOOO good! Thanks jdw276,but I'm looking for a lighter target load.

LOL!! SDSmlf, you're like me, and yes it's real bp because it will light with them old brass caps from the "50s will light it and of course it smells SOOOO good! Thanks jdw276,but I'm looking for a lighter target load.
Drop to 40 or 45 grain and shoot for group. Heck start with 30 and work up. What yardage? To low and winddrift will get you even more so.

Back