• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What are your favorite targets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm slowly working on building my own shooting range and I'm needing some inspiration. What are your favorite targets to shoot at while on the woods walk or other shooting range? I'm a farmer and I have access to a decent amount of junk steel laying around, so materials shouldn't be a problem. I'm decent with a torch and a welder so anything is on the table- knock down targets, swinging targets, slot shots, anything. Thanks in advance!

big Game aside, my favorite targets are those that give both visual and auditory reaction to being hit. i am into my 7th decade and it still makes me giggle when that big old round ball smacks a steel and i hear a CLANG accompanied by the thing swinging. did i mention i refuse to grow up?:D

Some just break…

E5DE96C8-4F27-453A-9EE7-6C4FBA0E4527.jpeg

502C9125-FA1D-437F-8C90-7200E8736B6D.jpeg

An old swing set makes a great target holder for swinging gongs. If you can lay your hands on some old railroad tie plates they make dandy gongs and the spike holes allow easy mounting and also provide an excuse if you miss by claiming your shot went thru an unused spike hole :thumb:. Be sure to make a 75 yard torso sized steel target to do the Bill Hickok shot. Respect the splash back!!! All my steel is at least 50 yards away. Was shooting with a buddy at his place with store bought targets of AR500 or something steel and he got bloodied by a piece of jacket material from a Commie 7.62x25 pistol round at what had been a safe distance. Seems the nearly 1700 FPS 86 grain bullet splashes back more than a 9mm poking along 3-400 FPS slower. When in doubt back up some more and then a little more.

An old swing set makes a great target holder for swinging gongs. If you can lay your hands on some old railroad tie plates they make dandy gongs and the spike holes allow easy mounting and also provide an excuse if you miss by claiming your shot went thru an unused spike hole :thumb:. Be sure to make a 75 yard torso sized steel target to do the Bill Hickok shot. Respect the splash back!!! All my steel is at least 50 yards away. Was shooting with a buddy at his place with store bought targets of AR500 or something steel and he got bloodied by a piece of jacket material from a Commie 7.62x25 pistol round at what had been a safe distance. Seems the nearly 1700 FPS 86 grain bullet splashes back more than a 9mm poking along 3-400 FPS slower. When in doubt back up some more and then a little more.
its all in the angle of the dangle! be sure that plate angles backwards from top to bottom!

Back