• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What are your excuses please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That argument can be used against you. Be careful what you wish for. MY wife would say, great, here is the list of things I want. IMHO
I would say her shoe shopping is no different than my gun shopping, both are in the wants category, not need.

I had whaat I thought was a good arrangement with my then wife. We each got 2 paychecks per month, 1 check from each of us hit the joint account. That account paid the mortgage, electric, cable, house repairs, groceries.

The other check went to your personal expenses. If you wanted to drive a Mercedes, and had the money in your account, go ahead.

Eventually, I had to show her the door. Cuz she couldnt spend the joint money fast enough and was an incessant nag.

Last edited:
ok ... how many months ago was your last ML purchase (that she knows about ... secret stuff doesn't go into the equation) ... take that number of weeks ... this is the gestational period of the average ML (I assume you're talking about a long gun - rifle, smooth rifle, musket or shotgun. etc. - handguns have a shorter period).

tell her that someone (imply it was her mistake) turned out the light in the shop, and, well, boys will be boys, and there you go... this one was two weeks preemie, so it will need special attention.

when the swelling goes down and some of your hearing returns, let me know how this works ... i'm about to make the same mistake myself...

Can you all give me excuses I can tell my wife why I need to buy a another muzzleloader. I have completely ran out of them. I am desperate. lol
I have a separate ...um business bank account. In reality it is divided into two parts; the business part where I make purchases of strings, music, instrument repairs, studio equipment and the like. The other is my Slush Fund. That goes for all things muzzle loading, including the fusil de chasse I built three years ago. That way I don't have to make excuses. So when a new package arrives from Track of the Wolf nobody complains.

Reading all the responses ! Too funny!
It’s nice to know there’s a large group of guys out there that can relate to this often overlooked but very real part of being a gun nut!
I’m supposed to have a “one in, one out” policy that i was proud to announce to my wife when we first met. Since then though, corners of closets behind clothes, under the bed, etc etc are now being used as gun cabinet overflow, and my sweet wife hasn’t ever given me any grief! I think she gets that it’s one of my things, and as it’s been said before, am “afflicted” with the “illness”…..

several years ago i decided i needed a new shotgun. i walked through the door holding my old double and told my wife i had sprained the barrel. as she is a good girl, she bought me one for Christmas, she then wants to make sure i don't ruin a good gun she asked me how i ruined it. i told just like a baseball putcher sprains his arm i shot at a duck that was too far away. Only took a second for her to figured out i had played her like a well-tuned violin. but i got the new double and she laughed along with me. I must be careful because if i mention a gun i want in front of her she buys it for me. we made a deal over 50 years ago i would stay out of bars and other womens beds and i could spend the money on guns. we have kept that vow.

I’ve got you bud. I used to suffer from this dilemma myself, but all that changed after Covid. Now; you have to know how to inspire a sense of optimistic caution, and not fear when you do this!
I have my wife convinced that the best insurance of survival is through the use and the collection of muzzleloaders, specifically flintlocks. I’ve explained very intently that I can manufacture everything that I need to keep my flinters belching smoke without the help of society. I can knap my own flints. I can and do make my own powder, and there will be many cars sitting without gasoline that wont need their lead terminals anymore! Your gonna have to sell this to yourself before you try it on your most important client first.
Once you’ve sold this, you’re in. Now you can begin throwing in all the little ends and outs that may, or may not be associated with it. If she tries to say that you already have enough smoke poles; and she will, you have to enlighten the points that each one brings to the table. Right now I’m working on selling the point of getting another southern style Longrifle. I’ve got one in a 36, but was thinking about a 40 as well. All this and the brass is still shiny on my last fowler I bought! I’m glad my wife doesn’t read these forums! I hope she doesn’t…

lolol Been there done that
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.21.56 PM.png

Actually I use the bribery method that I learned from 30 plus years being married. My wife loves quilting and fabrics etc. When she wants something I just tell her to buy it. I build up my credit points hehehe then I mention on an another firearm and she rolls with it and tells me to get it. Case in point, January 2022 got me Pedisoli Brown Bess. She said, thats enough for the year. with guns....come December... I'm now working on my 4th rifle for the year or by January, got my horns out for an 1841 Mississippi Rifle or a 1842 Harper Ferry.

Back