• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
I am continually greeted with the moans sadness of these Old eyes caused by the cataracts that form like a hazy curtain over the front of a persons's eyes progressively dimming both the near and far views of all things and in particular the view of the distant target, the distant deer and your whole future at the rifle range or in the hunting field.
As the kids say, "There's an App for that."
It is the operation to remove that haze curtain. To refresh your vision to where it was quite a few years ago.

Don't take it from me. Ask your eye doctor if you are a good prospect for this simplest of eye operations. It's probably the least expensive as well and most health insurance covers the cost.
You go in. They pu you out and 20 minutes or a half hour later you rejoin the world with a fresh new view of what's happening.
I admit the idea is scary as can be. The idea of people with sharp instruments near your precious eyes. And there is always a risk. In all my years I have only heard of one case where things went wrong. Unfortunately I was the person who experienced that. But at day's end I could see as clearly with the eye as I coyly before the cataract showed up.
Who run a risk getting out of bed every morning.
Think what your hesitation is doing to your favorite sport.
Dutch Schoultz

I just had them done 1 and 3 weeks ago respectively. I had the Panoptix multi-focal lenses installed, which was a $2800 upcharge per eye. I went from about 20/250 in the left eye, to 20/20 in that one, and the right, from 20/80, to 20/25. It had gotten so bad that I couldn't see a target or sights any more. I CERTAINLY wasn't safe to drive, but I managed to drive the 1-2 miles to and from work every day. (Apparently you need to be able to see to 20/40 with both eyes open to pass the drivers test.) There is a big chromatic shift too. After the surgery, paper that previously appeared amber had taken on a slightly lavender hue. Before the 2nd eye was done, (for the 2 weeks in between) I had trouble with balance and depth of field issues. That has largely gone away now. Full time to recovery for the eyes to heal is 4-6 weeks.

Because of the multi-focal lenses, I don't need glasses to read at arms length any more, nor to see at distance. There is a slight spectrographic chromatic rainbow halo around oncoming headlights, and a bit more streaking than would be there with the hard lenses, but it's something I just notice, rather than am bothered by. Contrasts and the vivid nature of colors (particularly in the blue-green spectrum) are something I notice a great deal more now too (due to cataracts being amber to brown in color and filtering out those wavelengths).

Last edited:
Hello Dutch! I am glad you had the cataract surgery!!! My mother had it done for both eyes and the difference is amazing. She had the lenses installed and now has 20/20 vision. She also had her double vision corrected. She had both done last year at age 74! I admit it is scary especially for older people but it is well worth it. Maybe you can get some minor shooting in sir!

Very Happy for you Dutch.
Rob

Well I had the cataract surgery several years ago. The problem that currently causes the dominant eye vision loss is a defect in the retina. There is a surgery for that but it is very risky. I'm still waiting for the surgeon to discuss it with me.

I just had them done 1 and 3 weeks ago respectively. I had the Panoptix multi-focal lenses installed, which was a $2800 upcharge per eye. I went from about 20/250 in the left eye, to 20/20 in that one, and the right, from 20/80, to 20/25. It had gotten so bad that I couldn't see a target or sights any more. I CERTAINLY wasn't safe to drive, but I managed to drive the 1-2 miles to and from work every day. (Apparently you need to be able to see to 20/40 with both eyes open to pass the drivers test.) There is a big chromatic shift too. After the surgery, paper that previously appeared amber had taken on a slightly lavender hue. Before the 2nd eye was done, (for the 2 weeks in between) I had trouble with balance and depth of field issues. That has largely gone away now. Full time to recovery for the eyes to heal is 4-6 weeks.

Because of the multi-focal lenses, I don't need glasses to read at arms length any more, nor to see at distance. There is a slight spectrographic chromatic rainbow halo around oncoming headlights, and a bit more streaking than would be there with the hard lenses, but it's something I just notice, rather than am bothered by. Contrasts and the vivid nature of colors (particularly in the blue-green spectrum) are something I notice a great deal more now too (due to cataracts being amber to brown in color and filtering out those wavelengths).
ARE YOU GLAD YOU HAD THE OPERATION?
I NEVER GEARD OF THE MULTI FOCAL LENSES.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

It was revelational. Because my eyes were still pretty dilated, and it was sunny out, it was a bit uncomfortable coming home, but that passed in a day. I'm happy because I can function again, go skiing, do sports, and am not such a danger on the road. I could sort of "muscle my way through" things like reading before, (if I got close enough and wore strong enough glasses) but it wouldn't have been long before even that was gone. Colors in the blue-green spectrum particularly. My builds have a little different color now too! I might have to change my coloring concoction next time. So the short answer is--Hubba hubba heck yeah I'm glad!

Here's the lens card they gave me.
cataract lens card.jpg

I got my eyes checked out a week ago and cataracts are the new reality. Today I'll pick up new corrective lenses and am hoping they improve the sight picture. As far as waiting goes, I'm not sure how bad they can get before Medicare will cover it.

I'm an optometrist by day, so I'll chime in. In order for the cataract surgery to be considered medically necessary (meaning medical insurance will contribute to the cost of the surgery), there are several criteria. First one is that even updated glasses prescription won't get you seeing at least 20/40 or better. Second is that even if you do see better than 20/40 with an updated prescription, the cataracts are still interfering with your activities of daily living such that you avoid or can't do certain things you normally would do - like driving at night, sewing, reading, using a computer, watching TV, or probably even shooting a gun. Third would be if you "glare out" to worse than 20/40, meaning that in your best glasses prescription with a light shining toward you, that you can't read at least 20/40. Medical insurances typically cover basic, single vision implants, but if you want the multifocal upgrade, so you can see better for near without having to wear glasses as much, then you have to pay the difference in cost.
Needless to say, everyone should be wearing safety glasses and hearing protection when shooting or you're near others who are shooting.

Thank you for that great explanation. So is the criteria it has to hit all 3 of what you described, or, just 1 of the 3?

How does the BOP treat federal prisoners that likely need it? (No, I'm not one of them, nor have I ever been.)

I had heard that, in loose terms, with both eyes open that corrected to about 20/40 was about what you had to be able to see to in order to pass the Driver's test (in most states).

COL BATGUANO,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TWO POSTS REGARDING YOUR CATARACT OPERATIONS.
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONVINCE A MAN OF THE CLOTH ON LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK TO PROCEED WITH HIS OPERATIONS AND I THINK HE WAS A BIT SCARED ABOUT THE WHOLE THING AND THEN YOUR POSTS CAME ALONG AS THOUGH THEY WEREWRITTEN SPECIALLY FOR HIM.
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW GRATEFUL I AM FOR THOSE POSTS.

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE A PAST SUBSUBSCRIBER TO MY SO CALLED SYSTEM FOR ACHIEVING ACCURACY BUT NOW THAT YOU CAN READ AGAIN I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY A FREE COPY OF THE EBOOK.

IF THIS WOULD BE OF ANY INTEREST, SEND ME AN EMAIL AT [email protected]
AND I'LL EMAIL THE WHOLE EBOOK TO YOU.
YOU DISCRIBEED THE RESULTS OF YOUR OPERATION SO WELL I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY SOME NOT SO GOOD WRITING ON BOTH OUR FAVORITE SUBJECT.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

Dutch I just sent you an e-mail. Also details of a post-op experiment I'm doing as research for the doc.

Since you are speaking to a man of the cloth (not me), after I had the first one done (and who isn't nervous around knives and their eyes), and my next day check up, I told the Doc that I wanted him to sit in the chair, so that I could anoint his feet with oils. Next on the agenda, was to go find a Leper colony for him to work another miracle, because he was on a roll! After that I wanted him to visit the tomb of some guy named Lazerus to see if he could do something.

Hello Dutch! I am glad you had the cataract surgery!!! My mother had it done for both eyes and the difference is amazing. She had the lenses installed and now has 20/20 vision. She also had her double vision corrected. She had both done last year at age 74! I admit it is scary especially for older people but it is well worth it. Maybe you can get some minor shooting in sir!

Very Happy for you Dutch.
Rob
DON'T BE TOO HAPPY FOR ME. MY CATARACT SURGERY WAS QUITE A FEW YEARS AGO. THE IRIS WAS TORN ALLOWING WAY TOO MUCH LIGHT. ALL THE RECENT TALK ABOUT THE SURGERY WAS CAUSED BY MY URGING A LONG ISLAND SUBSCRIBER TO GET THE OPERATION DONE SO WE COULD PROCEED WITH THE COACHING,
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

Wore glasses ever since I was 8 years old. Last year I had the cataracts removed. Yeah, like most went ahead and had the panoptix lenses installed. 70 years old and had almost 20/20 vision. Have to use reading glasses. I still wear safety glasses with reading lenses and UV protected sunglasses. Even though I don't need spectacles I have a pair on most of the time in the shop and outside.
People don't realize what their eyes is until they start to loose them.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
I am continually greeted with the moans sadness of these Old eyes caused by the cataracts that form like a hazy curtain over the front of a persons's eyes progressively dimming both the near and far views of all things and in particular the view of the distant target, the distant deer and your whole future at the rifle range or in the hunting field.
As the kids say, "There's an App for that."
It is the operation to remove that haze curtain. To refresh your vision to where it was quite a few years ago.

Don't take it from me. Ask your eye doctor if you are a good prospect for this simplest of eye operations. It's probably the least expensive as well and most health insurance covers the cost.
You go in. They pu you out and 20 minutes or a half hour later you rejoin the world with a fresh new view of what's happening.
I admit the idea is scary as can be. The idea of people with sharp instruments near your precious eyes. And there is always a risk. In all my years I have only heard of one case where things went wrong. Unfortunately I was the person who experienced that. But at day's end I could see as clearly with the eye as I coyly before the cataract showed up.
Who run a risk getting out of bed every morning.
Think what your hesitation is doing to your favorite sport.
Dutch Schoultz
I GOT TO THINKING ABOUT THE FEAR OF REMOVING SOMETHING FROM THE OUTSIDE OF ONE;S EYE AND I RECALL THAT ABOUT 10-12 YEARS AGO I ACQUIRED A THIN LAYER OF SCAR TISSUE IN FRONT OF THE RETINA. THAT;S INSIDE THE EYE ON THE BACK INTERIOR SURFACE.
EHE GOOD DOCTOR OPENED THE EYE, REMOVED THE SCAR TISSUE SEALED THE EYE BACK UP SO IT COULD REFILL WITH WHATEVER THAT LIQUID IS CALLED AND I COULD SEE CLEARLY WITH THAT EYE AGAIN/IT WAS LIKE UNSTITCHING A FOOTBALL, OPENING THE BLADDER, PUTTING A PATCH ON THE INSIDE AND THEN REASSEMBLING THE FOOTBALL.

COMPARED TO THAT THE CAT OPERATION IS A WALK IN THE PARK..
DUTCH

Well I had the cataract surgery several years ago. The problem that currently causes the dominant eye vision loss is a defect in the retina. There is a surgery for that but it is very risky. I'm still waiting for the surgeon to discuss it with me.
YESTERDAY I WROTE ABOUT MY OPERATION INSIDE MY LEFT EYE WHICH IS PROBABLY WHAT YOUR GUY IS THINKING ABOUT..
SCAREY BUT I KNOW OF OF ONE SURVIVOR. E. GOOD LUCK.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

I had cataract surgery on both eyes a few years ago, and was delighted with the results. Still am. I had 20/20 vision in my right eye and 20/100 in my left as a boy, and as a result wore glasses since I was about 11 or 12 but the right lens was clear glass then. The vision in both eyes got worse as I got older and by the time my doc said "cataract surgery" I was wearing tri-focals. I worked in the medical products industry for years and one of our products was implantable lenses for cataract patients. The lenses we made then were very good -- my mother got two of them -- and that technology has improved greatly since. After my surgery both eyes went to 20/20 for mid-range and distance, and I wear "readers" for ... Well, reading. Also for any close work. Don't need specs for driving, for the first time in my life. Don't need them for shooting except for protection. My daughter gave me my first pair of non-prescription sunglasses shortly after the operation. My mother was near 80 when she finally agreed to the surgery, and I still remember her telling me that if she had known how much of an improvement it was, she'd have had it done years earlier. Me too!

I had cataracts removed in both eyes about 12 years ago. I too had worn glasses since the second grade. I still don't need them most of the time. I did have a pair of shooting glasses made to compensate for the "reading" setup in my left eye so it didn't fight with the right eye at the range. I couldn't be happier with the result over the years. Complications seem to be very rare from having it done.

DON'T BE TOO HAPPY FOR ME. MY CATARACT SURGERY WAS QUITE A FEW YEARS AGO. THE IRIS WAS TORN ALLOWING WAY TOO MUCH LIGHT. ALL THE RECENT TALK ABOUT THE SURGERY WAS CAUSED BY MY URGING A LONG ISLAND SUBSCRIBER TO GET THE OPERATION DONE SO WE COULD PROCEED WITH THE COACHING,
DUTCH SCHOULTZ
There are contact lenses with an opaque periphery and clear central pupil that can be used in cases like yours to reduce the glare issues from the irregularly shaped pupil.

Thank you for that great explanation. So is the criteria it has to hit all 3 of what you described, or, just 1 of the 3?

How does the BOP treat federal prisoners that likely need it? (No, I'm not one of them, nor have I ever been.)

I had heard that, in loose terms, with both eyes open that corrected to about 20/40 was about what you had to be able to see to in order to pass the Driver's test (in most states).
I don't know about the prisoner question. I've never had to deal with that. If you just meet one of the criteria, then it should be considered medically necessary, so that medical insurance would contribute toward the cost of the surgery.

Back