• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What are you putting your money on. Draw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just for the sake of discussion...

I'm assuming we are limiting the discussion to cap and ball revolvers. In that case, I think I'd put my dinero on a Colt M1860 Army revolver. These are nimble and nicely balanced, with a very ergonomic grip and "pointability." They have the power of a .44 without the weight of a Dragoon. I know a solid frame with a top strap, as on the Remington and Rogers & Spencer revolvers, would be stronger, but the Colt design is strong enough, and in my opinion may be mechanically simpler and easier to maintain. Proper maintenance + good design = optimal reliability.

For what it's worth...

Notchy Bob

The Colt M1860 .44 caliber cap & ball revolver.
Like Notchy Bob said, it points better than anything else, except the 1851 Colt Navy.

If it was the immediate post-Civil War West, and the funds were available, I would have two braces of the 1860 Army revolvers hanging in custom saddle holsters in front of the saddle horn. One 1860 Army on my left front hip in a cross-draw high ride holster. And, if REAL trouble was looming, a cut down 1860 Army with a shortened barrel & loading lever in a shoulder holster. Along with the usual assortment of boot knives, at least one hideout .44 caliber Derringer, and the ubiquitous Bowie knife on my belt.

Then, you'd be braced for trouble.

The Colt M1860 .44 caliber cap & ball revolver.
Like Notchy Bob said, it points better than anything else, except the 1851 Colt Navy.

If it was the immediate post-Civil War West, and the funds were available, I would have two braces of the 1860 Army revolvers hanging in custom saddle holsters in front of the saddle horn. One 1860 Army on my left front hip in a cross-draw high ride holster. And, if REAL trouble was looming, a cut down 1860 Army with a shortened barrel & loading lever in a shoulder holster. Along with the usual assortment of boot knives, at least one hideout .44 caliber Derringer, and the ubiquitous Bowie knife on my belt.

Then, you'd be braced for trouble.
You'd definitely fill the pistolero demographic

Well, just for the sake of discussion...

I'm assuming we are limiting the discussion to cap and ball revolvers. In that case, I think I'd put my dinero on a Colt M1860 Army revolver. These are nimble and nicely balanced, with a very ergonomic grip and "pointability." They have the power of a .44 without the weight of a Dragoon. I know a solid frame with a top strap, as on the Remington and Rogers & Spencer revolvers, would be stronger, but the Colt design is strong enough, and in my opinion may be mechanically simpler and easier to maintain. Proper maintenance + good design = optimal reliability.

For what it's worth...

Notchy Bob
An illustrious explanation. I concur with your logic

One 1851, light enough to always be on you and if I can’t hit em in five shots then maybe I need a new profession!
I actually keep one of these on me most of the time.

Attachments

• 20200408_183446.jpg
    20200408_183446.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 72
Back