• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What are you doing this winter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Too durn cold to be outside much but gotta do what ya gotta do. Fracking at minus 50 (with windchill) is not fun. Supposed to be even colder tomorrow night.

Haven't gotten home for a couple of months so my project to refinish one of my rifles is on hold.

Too durn cold to be outside much but gotta do what ya gotta do. Fracking at minus 50 (with windchill) is not fun. Supposed to be even colder tomorrow night.

I read somewhere that under Eskimo etiquette a visitor to the igloo is supposed to cuddle up next to the owners wife for warmth. That's got to be better than a "two dog night". What are the rules in Alberta?

Well, down here in Yuma winter is our shooting season. From about late Sept to about mid April we have our best weather. Summer here is be at the range at 0500-0530 to shoot until about 0930-1000. After that it is about a hundred or better. I'm usually home by 1000. Winters here will get down to the mid fifties during the day and sometimes approaches the upper eighties. The locals run around in long pants and long sleeve shirts or sweats or a light jacket. The Yankees and Canadians run around in Tshirts and shorts. An 80 degree day will wipe out a Canadian. Mostly easy to tell who's from here and who ain't.

Running ball, cutting and lubing patches, minor repairs, occasional warm days at the range. Grab a fowler and a pair of snowshoes and head for the grouse woods. Shed hunting, shoveling, and spreading sand. Scrabble by the fireplace with "aiming water." It's a living.

ADK Bigfoot

I visited Mesa in February 2018 and Flagstaff was -17c one morning. Mesa was at -1c. This Canadian boy was COLD. Not sure where this rumour of hot weather in Arizona comes from!
Walk

What am I doing ?
Getting fat. :D
Exercise consists of short treks between the wood stove and the cook stove with intermittent lifting routines of 12 ounce weights.
Winter is hard.:cool:

Recovering from cancer surgery in Oct. Cant do $h!t on the farm. That's the hard part i've always been active. Have to have family and friends do it all for me. Only allowed to pick up the weight of a rifle three weeks ago. Done some casting last week. Should have gone back to the SE to recover but no family could have gone. Packin on weight on due to not being able to do chores with Thankgiving an Christmas dinners an all. Going to start to finish my Lancaster .40 cal soon as soon as I know I can put more strain on my body.

Like you MC.. Doing recovery time. I will never get it all back BUT-- I do get to the range and that sure helps. In Yuma for winter (let me hear the collective Oh too bad) A Great bp range about 15 mins away. Only issue is I have to buy everything - no casting, no lubes.

After a winter spent pretty well away from home, finally getting started on my Renegade.

Shaved the butt down a bit, less than fully satisfactory design seems to be a fairly common complaint. Really surprised by how little I had to take off, seemed like not much more than the factory finish, and I had it fitting a lot better.
Started stripping the finish, seems to be going well so far. Except that the stripped wood doesn't match the area I shaved. Think I'll try re-striping to see if that helps. Hopefully some tung oil on the stock will allow it to all match up.
Intending on browning the hardware and barrel. Anybody know if the lock would take well to browning or should I just leave that well alone?

Too late, I decided I should have taken some before pictures. On the other hand, Maybe I don't want to be able to do a comparison and regret my foolish actions.

A powder horn and knife are in the works as well.

I'm thinking that by the time the Ramrodder's shoot comes around we'll be back to business as usual. More or less.
3 months is quite a spell. Maybe some of the earlier gatherings will be affected.

As much as possible, I'm just going about my life as much as normal as possible. Some friends are refusing visits, their choice.
I think that President Trump is sending a pretty reasonable message, we can't let this shut down our countries completely. Among other things, people need paycheques and a sense of normality.
Maybe FDR had it right, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". Maybe not a good comparison given the different circumstances but I'm using it.

At any rate, I'm gonna keep on getting ready for the season. Once it gets a bit warmer, start running ball and hit the range as soon as its accessible. Don't know what conditions are like at the Ramrodders but my home range is pretty isolated and snowbound. Fair amount of powder and caps on hand although I do wish I had more flints. I've tried knapping some old ones without any joy.

How're you doing?

Doing ok. Friends and family wont let me do anything outside the home right now due to the chemo and compromised immune system. I guess I do understand. We have positive tests right here in our neighbourhood. Oh well. I hope you are right but I expect things will get tighter, then remain once the “curve flattens”, with no relaxation until a vaccine comes available. Just my thoughts but I cannot see any relaxation due to risk of resurgence. As such, I’m not sure we will have much gatherin’s this year at all. Too bad really, I got my GPR dialled right in and my .50 long rifle ready for sighting. Really looking forward to this seasons shoots...
Walk

Well, down here in Yuma winter is our shooting season. From about late Sept to about mid April we have our best weather. Summer here is be at the range at 0500-0530 to shoot until about 0930-1000. After that it is about a hundred or better. I'm usually home by 1000. Winters here will get down to the mid fifties during the day and sometimes approaches the upper eighties. The locals run around in long pants and long sleeve shirts or sweats or a light jacket. The Yankees and Canadians run around in Tshirts and shorts. An 80 degree day will wipe out a Canadian. Mostly easy to tell who's from here and who ain't.
In the winter we'd be much obliged if you turn all the wind turbines facing north. Every little bit helps.

Back