• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What are these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking again, I am still thinking they are both 1851s. You can see the "tit" of the rammer link, of the gun in his left hand, directly in front of the same feature of the one in his right, and they appear the alike. Also the gun in his left hand clearly does not have the flattened "web" area that connects the lever to the rammer, as on an 1860.

Being the proud new owner of an 1860 replica, I have it here in front of me as well as an 1851 and though the photo is grainy, they sure look like the same gun. If there is any difference in the two it seems it would be that one has a round barrel and one octagonal, but really hard to see and that could just be shading.

Also the frame under the cylinder and the top of the cylinder itself both appear to be a straight line on the gun in his left hand, and do not show the step that would indicate the rebated cylinder of an 1860 or the relief in the frame for it.
Could very well be @TNGhost. That picture is tough to pull things out of. I have a non-firing full scale replica of each but not a real fireable pistol. One of these days I'd really like to get the 1860 Army myself. I think it looks so much better than all the other Colts.

My guess is a Navy Colt 1851, and an Army Colt 1860. I am curious as to which side he fought for?

Richard/Grumpa
I lived in Virginia for 10-years. I'm originally from the west coast (CA) but I moved to Vermont in 1998 and lived there for 7-years. I was given a hard time about coming from VT (where I was called flatlander or lowlander even though the valley I came from in CA was at a higher elevation than Vermont's Green Mountains). When I first moved to VA and still had my VT plates on my car, a fellow would drive by the house at 5:30 each morning and honk his "Dixie" horn.

After living there for a few years that pretty well stopped, but I didn't find out until about a year ago, after I'd moved to Washington state, that my Great, Great, and I think one more Great Grandfather fought for the Confederacy in the War Between the States. Found that out because there is a record of him being incarcerated in a Union POW camp in 1865. That info would have been helpful when I lived in Virginia.;)

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

I lived in Virginia for 10-years. I'm originally from the west coast (CA) but I moved to Vermont in 1998 and lived there for 7-years. I was given a hard time about coming from VT (where I was called flatlander or lowlander even though the valley I came from in CA was at a higher elevation than Vermont's Green Mountains). When I first moved to VA and still had my VT plates on my car, a fellow would drive by the house at 5:30 each morning and honk his "Dixie" horn.

After living there for a few years that pretty well stopped, but I didn't find out until about a year ago, after I'd moved to Washington state, that my Great, Great, and I think one more Great Grandfather fought for the Confederacy in the War Between the States. Found that out because there is a record of him being incarcerated in a Union POW camp in 1865. That info would have been helpful when I lived in Virginia.;)

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan
The type of idiots that annoy people in the name of the Confederacy have no Idea of the personal standards most CSA soldiers maintained much less the gentlemanly mannered officers whose statues are regarded as repugnant by unknowing idiots of a different slant. I recently had one in a pickup with a huge Confederate Naval Jack waving in the back run up behind me on the way to town. When I pulled over at the first wide spot to let him pass, he roared by me before I could pull off the 2-lane. I wondered what that idiot would think if he knew my great grandfather John Julian had served Arkansas as an irregular cavalryman, later to be formed into the 1st Ark Cavalry, Confederate. After due consideration, I decided the idiot probably didn't realize the Navy Jack wasn't the land battle flag he was trying to portray and impress people with. Much less that we, the South, -excuse me,- LOST.

Back