• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What are the best nipples for a Lyman GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Hot Shot nipple on all of my Caplocks TC's and Lyman's. Why, because I have confidence in them. As long as I don't do something stupid :oops: like use a patch to wet to swab between shots or use a patch to tight pushing crud into a breech swabbing between shots :rolleyes:, the gun ALWAYS goes bang. TOW has the treads you will need for the Hot Shot nipples for your Lyman. DANNY

I THINK THE BEST NIPPLES FOR ANY PERCUSSION RIFLE ARE THE HOT SHOT NIPPLE WITH THE TRANSVERSE HOLE DRILLED CROSSWISE TO LET ESCAPING GASES AND ETC TO ESCAPE. THEY ARE VERY STURDY STEEL ITEMS THAT WIL TAKE A LOT OF BEATING. I REPLACED ALL MY NIPPLES WITH THEM, SSTOPPED MISFIRES AND AFTER FOUR YEARS OF VERY FREQUENT RANGE WORK WERE AS GOOD AS NEW WHEN I WAS FORCED TO PUT MY RIFLES AWAY FOR GOOD.

DR5X

What are your favorites and why? It's time for me to buy some.

I have to agree "Hot Shot" nipples. Found them years ago and never looked back. They last for a long, long time and work as they should.

For the GPR, AMPCO lists two lengths; one for "old' rifles and one for "new" rifles. My GPR was bought about 22 years ago; I don't know if that's what they mean by "old." The thread is the same.

I think the old ones are the ones that didn't have the extra hole drilled in the tang for a peep sight. All of the later ones have that hole, but I'm not sure why that would make a difference unless they changed the geometry of the lock.

Since you are planning to use a synthetic black powder (777), you want a nipple that delivers the most flame from the setting off of the cap to the powder charge. The best nipples for getting a hot blast of flame through the touch hole will be the Hotshot or Spitfire brands. Theses nipples also work just fine when using GOEX black powder.

I always had misfires until I started using Hotshots.
Whew... I thought I was the only one. I've tried Hotshot nipples a handful of times and always have trouble with misfires in my Cabela's rifle. I just buy the 3 pack available on the Lyman website and have no problems with them.

Whew... I thought I was the only one. I've tried Hotshot nipples a handful of times and always have trouble with misfires in my Cabela's rifle. I just buy the 3 pack available on the Lyman website and have no problems with them.
Ah, read that wrong. I guess I AM the only one who has terrible luck with Hotshot nipples.

dsayer,
Compare the threaded length of the nipples. I am going to guess that you have longer threads on the Hotshot nipple than the ones that work. The Hotshot is going too deep into the flash hole and partially blocking the flash channel. Compare the two nipples and see what is different. You really shouldn't be having problems with the Hotshot nipple.

dsayer,
Compare the threaded length of the nipples. I am going to guess that you have longer threads on the Hotshot nipple than the ones that work. The Hotshot is going too deep into the flash hole and partially blocking the flash channel. Compare the two nipples and see what is different. You really shouldn't be having problems with the Hotshot nipple.
Think I still have a pile of Hotshots in my bag and will check. But don't really see a solution other than just using the nipples from Lyman that work. :)

Back