• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What are a guys options in .36?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you are committed to a .36...and i am too, if you look at my name... i own one, but it was the poor result of a venture to obtain one. I call it a closet sitter; as i don't believe in wall hangers. The numerich/hopkins allen minuteman is well worth staying away from, for several reasons.

However, and not sure how i feel about this, but much more attainable and readily available squirrel rifles in half stock are available in .32. The T/C Cherokee is about the ultimate. A black powder squirrel hunting enthusiast actually advised them on their design and using a much higher rate twist barrel to provide the accuracy needed with the light loads he preferred to avoid meat damage on body shots...the gun was just about perfect, but a factory fire destroyed all of their machinery for making those guns, and T/C decided to discontinue production of that rifle...very sad. Used ones are around, however, but as Fish D Fly mentioned, it will take awhile, but i suspect you could place one before squirrel season next year...very good guns, and I would love to find money and a cherokee for sale at the same time.

Another good option in half stock, is the crockett .32. With the slower twist, however, it will require hotter loads and demand head shots to keep from wasting meat...but head shots are the essence of squirrel hunting, to the point that guys say anything else is unsporting...(not that I entirely agree, but my current squirrel gun is a .44 single shot long barreled pistol, so I am restricted to head shots...its not that bad, and if i can do it with a pistol, a guy with a half stock rifle could only do better...)

However, the point is, the crockett is an excellent rifle, elegant, quickly and readily attainable, and cost effective, to the point that a guy who is seriously looking to purchase a new rifle, could buy one, and be happy with it, and still have enough left over to purchase some accoutrements and real black powder...that is something seriously worth considering... if i was in your boat right now, and wanted a gun quick, that is what I would go with.

Last edited:
So? Because a rifle looks good it can't be used?
Where and when did this nonsense start? I read stuff like this way too much.
Maple is Maple, walnut is walnut, ash is ash, doesn't matter is it has a some carving or none, it is still good hard stock wood. Builders use the same Locks on carved and engraved guns as they do on plain guns, same barrels, same furniture.
Maybe barrels might be a bit different, could have a nice looking well balanced, sweet handling rifle with a swamped barrel or a heavy, off balanced clunker straight barrel.
Yep, a rifle ( unless truly a relic) is pretty much useless if it's not being used.

Kibler sells them "In the white"for an additional charge, or you can hire a builder to put a kit together for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. There would definantly be a couple guys who would do it for you right here on the forum.
Iv put 3 together two col 1 southern. Id more than glad to do it pm

An under hammer percussion sm game rifle would be neat, and you can have some pretty light, sleek designs using a Repro H&A "buggy" rifle lock with a light barrel (for light loads (15gr+-) with a ball, a tapered barrel going from .76" down to .65" OD should be oodles of wall thickness, if you solder your sights and lugs on, add a tenth if you dovetail).

In a more typical set-up (sidelock, one piece stock, stock fittings, ect), that makes for a pretty light, slender rifle. A light recoiling stock doesn't have to be thick, or made of the strongest wood (honestly, you could get away with poplar if you're ok with it denting easier), I would think a .8" wide butt would be enough, with a cheek rest. I would think a "Manton" or "small pistol" lock from L&R would do well, and help keep with the small size of the rifle. Wooden rods that small tend to break more, so a Delrin, anodized aluminum, steel, or brass one might be better. Add a multi compartment patchbox to hold balls, patches, and a tin of caps, so all you have to do is carry a small pocket powder flask; and you have everything you need to get a few squirrels and such (I prefer toe-boxes, rather than side boxes).

I would guess a really simple 26" barrel version with a 13.25" LOP, soldered sights+lugs, and a maple stock would weigh somewhere around 4lbs, add 6" to the barrel would prolly only make it 4 oz or so heavier.

What to expect if you were going to have one made up custom for you by a builder:

The Gunworks tapered 32" octagon barrel - $225
Plain Maple stock- $45
Lock- $120
Sheet/plate Brass / nickel-silver for simple fittings- $16 or steel fittings $10
sights- $7-15
Rammer- $10-35 (depends on the materials)
Lugs and keys- $2
Breechplug and Standing breech- $4
Vent liner- $0.20
Simple trigger- $2.25 L&R double set trigger- $52 L&R single set trigger (my personal preference)- $80

Total Materials: $425.45-$542.20, Plan for around 10% added for shipping: $468- $596.42

If you have someone else build it for you-
Add estimated Labor
Field Grade- minimal engravings/carving, matte-white/matte-browned steel finish, well fit, functional- 14 shop hours @ $20-45/hr (some people really think a lot of their time o_O) = $280- $630

mid grade- moderate engraving & carving, Polished white/med polish browning/med polish blueing, well fit, functional- 20 shop hours @ $20-45/hr
= $400-900

Best grade- lots of engraving/checkering/carving, high polish finish, well fit, functional- 25+ shop hours @ $20-45/hr = $500-$1125+

FG- $748- $1,226.42 MG- $868-1,496.42 BG- $968- $1,693.42+

Add 11% for Fed. excise tax (if they produce more than 50 a year)

Add $45 for shipping and insurance.

Having someone else do it can either cost a little money, or a lot, it just depends. Gunmakers that use more purchased parts tend to have higher prices (due to mark ups). Make sure they get your measurements so the stock fits, if it's custom (or build from a kit).

vs Kibler- $1,075 + shipping + paying someone to build it (if you don't)
vs Pedersoli scout (I know, not .36)- $650-800 + shipping
vs Pedersoli Kentucky (not .36)- $790-1000 +shipping

It's gonna cost, no matter which way you go, but what can ya do?

Last edited:
Many years ago I had Matt Avance (TVM) build me a plain but feather weight SMR .36 flintlock; I shoot it a lot. Price wasn't bad back then but higher today for obvious reasons. .36 X 38" X 6lbs 4oz.

PICT0550-zps981eb196.jpg
That looks good, I'd like to get one from Jim Kibler in that caliber, got to wait for awhile because I have to build the new colonial that I got on order! Mommie would shoot me! :p

Back