• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What am I doing wrong - Confused Update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusnapperhead

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Thanks all for the various information on how everyone fires their ball. There is 10 or more methods for me to sort out and test. No having any additional materials to vary my shooting yesterday I went back out to shoot here was my process and results:
Freshly cleaned and oiled barrel from night before
Ran 1 dry patch down barrel to remove any remaining oil; it came out 90% clean
Used this patch to wipe down frizzen, flint and pan
Loaded 50 grains fff goex down tube
Spit patch and ball
Short and long ball started; finished with brass range rod (it has my brass cleaning jag attached to it, concave with ball)
Pushed to bottom with light tap, dropping the rod at bottom
Noticed a little powder came from vent hole to pan
Filled pan with three pours from little brass priming tool
Fired; perfectly 1” low at 30 yards; great!
50 more grains, spit patch and ball fired 4 more times no issues
6th shot didn’t fire or burn powder in pan
Found bottom of flint oily and dirty; wiped and gun fired
7&8th shots followed same process no issues
My little pan powder primer plugged up from oil in pan; had to take apart and pick clean
9th shot didn’t fire or burn powder in pan; flint was clean but frizzen had oil on it; wiped it clean and it shot
Started using clean patch every other shot to wipe down flint, pan, and frizzen
Started to wonder how long my flint should spark and if I should turn it over; I don’t know what type it is; it’s tan colored others I have are more black
Shot total of 12 times; happy with results, it’s getting more predictable now. I’m not going to file front sight yet I want to increase my powder load get on a bench and see what the groups do, eventually zero at 50 or 75 yards
Brought back to shop disassembled cleaned with hot water and dawn; dried off and coated everything with crc oil including inside barrel and lock. Reassembled and placed upside down.

couple of things I need to fix is how to better control my powder from horn to measuring tube; overfilled and wasted powder every time.
stay with spit or try something else.
I didn’t feel need to swab barren during shooting, ball pushed fine, that may change with increased powder loads. I am surprised of excess oil from burning powder.
More to come. Chris

Make a simple horn and install one of those push button mechanical powder valves w/a short brass spout on it. I began using one couple years ago , and have cut my waste between horn and measure to almost nothing. And , you don't have a horn plug to leave out for sparks to ignite the powder supply in your horn. ....oldwood

Two places you do not want oil. In the pan and on the striking face of the frizzen.

Oil in the pan and on the frizzen is OK for storage but wipe it all off with something like alcohol to get rid of it before you start shooting.

Two places you do not want oil. In the pan and on the striking face of the frizzen.

Oil in the pan and on the frizzen is OK for storage but wipe it all off with something like alcohol to get rid of it before you start shooting.
Most of the oil came from after shooting; powder burning in pan or smoke coming through flash hole.

It's odd........The only time I ever noticed an excess of oil like substance in the pan after a shot , was if I was using too much fat type lube , or grease lube on my patches. Also , if the air is extremely damp , the pan will appear very wet upon firing , so much so , that reloading is not possible until the bore and lock pan is dried the best it can be. Was caught in a Pa. mountain blizzard years ago. Took a shot at a doe standing in the laurel in the storm. Just too much snow on my sights , shouldn't have tried for her and I missed. There were other deer coming and I tried to reload , while sheltering my lock , but the air was so humid , the pan was wet after the shot , and couldn't be made to stay dry. I gave up and when my buddy came along , we just walked out the mile and 1/2 and went to the local restaurant for lunch.........oldwood

I keep a bandana or other rag with me and wipe the pan, frizzen face, and flint clean before every shot. That, along with learning how to monitor when my flint is getting dull has helped eliminate about 95-98% of misfires for me.

I keep a bandana or other rag with me and wipe the pan, frizzen face, and flint clean before every shot. That, along with learning how to monitor when my flint is getting dull has helped eliminate about 95-98% of misfires for me.
This is good advice. I do the same thing, after every shot. I also check to see that the flint is still tight in the jaws of the cock after every shot, and tighten it if needed. It doesn't hurt to poke a pick through your touch hole, either. All of this really only adds a few seconds to your loading routine, and if it is part of the routine, it becomes second nature. I would also add that I do all of this immediately after taking the shot, before putting the butt down to start loading the next shot. If you dropped your rag and have to pick it up, or if you do find the flint needs to be knapped or tightened, I would rather do all of that with an unloaded gun.

I haven't noticed oil residue from the black powder, but the fouling does attract moisture. Damp fouling can feel greasy, I suppose.

It's a dirty job, this hobby of ours. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Notchy Bob

I have a little cord hanging from my trigger-guard that I tie a fresh patch on. I use this to wipe the pan, frizzen and flint after each shot in the field or at the range if I am shooting just a few shots. Its handy, available and a reminder. Throw it away at home and once the rifle is clean tie on a fresh one for next time. You can also stuff it under the frizzen as an additional "safety" barrier when your rifle is loaded but the pan is not primed.

I have a little cord hanging from my trigger-guard that I tie a fresh patch on. I use this to wipe the pan, frizzen and flint after each shot in the field or at the range if I am shooting just a few shots. Its handy, available and a reminder. Throw it away at home and once the rifle is clean tie on a fresh one for next time. You can also stuff it under the frizzen as an additional "safety" barrier when your rifle is loaded but the pan is not primed.
These are good ideas!

Notchy Bob

Spray brakleen on the pan and frizzen between shots at the range. Brakleen isnt practical for carrying in the woods obviously. That's when prepackaged alcohol wipes come in handy. Most of the time a simple brushing will facilitate a good second shot in the field.

I also vent pick every shot. I like Notchy's advice to do the wiping routine right after the shot, too. I believe I'll make that adjustment to my routine.

Black powder fouling will absolutely suck water out of the air. I always wipe the pan/frizzen/flint if it is at all humid that day. I've had the pan fill with SOUP on sweltering days! Don't swab the bore just pick the touch hole. Use alcohol in the bore, the pan and wipe the frizzen with an alcohol patch as well as the flint. If you protect with oil then a dry patch might not get it all out.

Latest posts

Back