• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What ae you paying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just check our local supplier. Swiss 19 BUCKS/Pound, and Schuetzen 19 BUCKS/Pound. :shake:

Think the Anti's are driving up the price of Real BP.

Swiss at 19? Better buy it.

Anti's ain't doing nuthin,,, it's us folks
(common shooters) that are buying alot right now, it's simple supply and demand.

Local suppliers? Well they have to have special storage,aka;
Metal box with two locks and a cable/chain attached diretly to the ground,,
and pay a heavy insurance rate just to stock the stuff.
19 for Schuetzen is high but only 4-5 a pound, if you understand what's going on right now in the loading world with supply issue and the lack of turn over by small shops it's easy to see why prices are higher.

Example;
Let's say a small shop typically get's 50# a month and sells it in a month at a dollar mark up per pound.
Now all he can get is 20# and his supply house says he won't get any more for 2 months. He's set to loose 80$ but still has to pay insurance.
Raising the price does two things, first it helps defer his expense for storage and insurance, second it stops folks from hoarding the entire shippment and assures that only those that really need a pound get a pound.

And trust me, most shops selling BP also sell many other loading componants that the very same thing is happening with.
A shop that's use too selling volume at low mark up can no longer do so because the items aren't available too sell.
Economics 101.
Don't like it? Don't buy.

I bought a single pound at Track the other day for $22.50.

With my loads, that's still, 6 trips to the range before I'm out. I have no need to stockpile a lifetime's supply, unlike in .22 cal and 30-`06.

You never know then the Apes are going to try to take over.

You are right about demand running ahead of supply. I would like to get a couple of bricks of 22 but all the local stores are limiting customers to two boxes. Forget about a volume discount. Luckily my last buy of BP was a case a year before the re-election so I can still shoot at old prices.

I bought a couple of cases from the CMP of their Remington white box .22 SV stuff for $90 per + shipping a couple years ago, and another couple cases @ $125 plus shipping last fall. It's not Tenex or Midas Plus, but good enough for practice ammo. Check out the prices this stuff is going for on GB these days. $500+ per case!

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

It was 22 at the local spot 2 years ago for Goex. Will pass by there before long to see how much it has raised. Found a bunch at a flea market for 10 so haven't been there lately. Larry

I think $18 a pound for Goex, Swiss was maybe $26. I will get whatever I think I need for the upcoming year at Friendship during the spring shoot.

So how are those other powders; KIK, Diamondback, Swiss, Schutzen, etc.? I only have experience with Goex, and hate to buy 25 pounds of the stuff if it's not as good.

Out here in CA Goex is about $24.00 if you can find it. Very hard to come by right now.
With sales tax that comes out to $25.98.

Col. Batguano said:
So how are those other powders; KIK, Diamondback, Swiss, Schutzen, etc.? I only have experience with Goex, and hate to buy 25 pounds of the stuff if it's not as good.

I believe Goex and KIK are quite similar. I have HEARD that Swiss is the "best" but as a hunter 1st I just want an accurate load with dependable velocity and KIK will do that IF/when I decide not to shoot Pyrodex. I wouldnt pay the extra for Swiss myself. I understand Schutzen to be in the same league as Geox and KIK and I believe Diamondback to be the least of the bunch.
Again I shoot Pyrodex by choice but have a case of KIK in the closet "just in case"; That decision was a summers long research and trial from the "real" BP I could get my hands on.

i just picked up 10 pounds of KIK from powderinc for $171.00. last year i was able to score 10 pounds of schuetzen for around $140 but that deal is gone.

i really need to buy a 25 or 50 pound order but i just havent been able to do it.

-matt

Only local place that carries it now has it at $24.99 a pound--was $23.95 last summer.

I bought a pound of Schutzen for $15 in the fall while passing the Maine Powder House (normally it's $16 a pound but they didn't have change) but that's not local. That's still the price they show on their website.

My dad and I go in on a case of Goex every year or so as we get low. Usually buy from Maine Powder. I live in Louisiana now so I get it from Jack's Powder Keg in Kisatchie, LA. It's priced right at around $15 a pound. The owner is great to deal with, but is pretty busy in the summer as he does reinactments etc..

I was in my locally Wally World this morning at 0700, went by the sporting good department, and there were 6 or 7 customers stand around wait for the guy to open the register. He the Wal-Mart guy was selling a (3) Box Limit of what was available.

They had got (10) 50 round boxes of .22, (1) 100 r boxes of 9mm, and about (8) 20 round .223, and some odds and ends.

I went back by about 0720, to see if any .22 was left. All the Hot Calibers were SOLD OUT GONE....

I would buy every bit of Swiss that I could buy for $19 a pound. I have never seen it under $25. Geo. T.

Down here in Western Australia I get it in 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) containers for $75. That's as cheap as it gets.
It's a European powder that,s repackaged locally.
Works well.

Back