• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What accuracy do you get at 300yards with 45??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a custom 45 percussion rifle with 1 in 27" twist. I'm shooting a 400g bullet and getting 5 shot groups at 300 yards of 6", i.e. 2 MOA.
I'm rather unhappy with this. What type of accuracy to you guys get at that range and what 45cal rifle do you have. I use open peep sights so I guess using a scope would be other than the context of this question.

Well, for myself, I'd be mighty tickled to get a six inch group at 300 yards! I expect at such a range even my thin silver sight would make it hard to see the target. Altho I suspect I might be aiming a wee bit above the target!!

Hello, I have a custom 45 percussion rifle with 1 in 27" twist. I'm shooting a 400g bullet and getting 5 shot groups at 300 yards of 6", i.e. 2 MOA.
I'm rather unhappy with this. What type of accuracy to you guys get at that range and what 45cal rifle do you have. I use open peep sights so I guess using a scope would be other than the context of this question.
A double aperture globe front and rear will be more accurate than will be a rear globe and front post. You want the sight picture to be slightly larger than the target black bull so that the light paper band around it can be clearly seen and centered.
The rest of the accuracy potential will be up to your trigger break, barrel and load.

Last edited:
Bench rest and supported? Prone with sling? Other? What are your 10 shot groups (I ask because that's the usual course of fire for our competitions)?

2 MoA at 300 is good going and if it can be achieved prone with sling support and over 10 shots would likely be putting in match winning scores. Take a look at the recent World Cup results - target has a bull's-eye of 5.5" diameter (scoring 5) and the '4 ring' is 11 inch diameter. No one kept all their shots inside the '4 ring' - so if you have international aspirations contact your nations MLAIC Rep.

David

You're kidding, right? If that's factual as to your groups, you're in the highest rank imaginable.

10 shots for score on this one a few months back. Not a .45, but a. 56. Good score but not a super group. 35 lb rifle, fired from the bench.

Attachments

• IMG_2244(1).jpg
    IMG_2244(1).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
I mostly hunt (as opposed to extended target shooting) and wouldn't try a shot on game over 100yds, never mind 300.

I limit my shooting distances to as far away as I can keep a couple of shots on a paper plate.

good shooting BUT is that a period type scope across the top of the Rifle?I I believe the other Fella was shooting open sights.2 moa@300yds. W/ any rifle is Damn fine shooting to me. If you change any thing about that rifle you're crazy IMO. You might go the wrong way...Be Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally

good shooting BUT is that a period type scope across the top of the Rifle?I I believe the other Fella was shooting open sights.2 moa@300yds. W/ any rifle is Damn fine shooting to me. If you change any thing about that rifle you're crazy IMO. You might go the wrong way...Be Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally
It is a period style scope, 9x. The rifle was built in 1885. Also have an original tube sight for it. This is a full-on target rifle that shoots a heavy paper patched bullet. Here is another photo, 10 shots at 300 yards from about 23 years ago. It is the last time I competed at the NMLRA matches.

Attachments

• 77778_10151188947151380_852337767_o.jpg
    77778_10151188947151380_852337767_o.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
Did you ever see them shoot at three hundred yards?
It’s a hoot. They shoot, clean their guns, have a cup of coffee( tea if they’re British) Then sit down to check their spotting scope. Usually their in time to see the impact. Perhaps I exaggerate a bit. I love it when they’re shooting gongs. Bang wait for it, wait for it, wait….. inhale ‘thunk!’

I’m always looking for 1 MOA no matter the distance.
Did you ever see them shoot at three hundred yards?
It’s a hoot. They shoot, clean their guns, have a cup of coffee( tea if they’re British) Then sit down to check their spotting scope. Usually their in time to see the impact. Perhaps I exaggerate a bit. I love it when they’re shooting gongs. Bang wait for it, wait for it, wait….. inhale ‘thunk!’
sometimes I take a short nap…

Back